Compare, search dups (by content) and hard/symlinks

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Compare, search dups (by content) and hard/symlinks

Post by *DrShark »

I suggest to introduce the following usage of NTFS hardlinks and symlinks to next major TC version.
1. In "Compare by content", in message box, when files are identical, to add the buttons "Convert to hardlnks", "Convert the file in left panel to symlink for the file in panel"
2. In "Compare directories" add menu corresponding menu items and maybe buttons, for identical files (if "Compare also by content" checked before comparing, of course).
3. Need some similar solution for Search results, if "by content" checked as addition option, at least for manually selected files.

p.s. similar suggestion is here
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

1. Compare by content is just comparer. I don't think that hardlink making is suitable here. Also, symlink creation requires admin rights.
2, 3. Here you may use some external tool (e.g. http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/finddupe/) - you need just to make em_command that will call it and to add it to any menu. You may use it right now.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

MVV wrote:1. Compare by content is just comparer. I don't think that hardlink making is suitable here. Also, symlink creation requires admin rights.
2, 3. Here you may use some external tool (e.g. http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/finddupe/) - you need just to make em_command that will call it and to add it to any menu. You may use it right now.
1. Why not? (and symlinks is not a problem for me - my TC has admin rights).

About external command.
As I see, both FindDupe and opensource utility Duplicate File Hard Linker (DFHL) (another similar utility, suggested in thread on russian forum) don't work with filelist as command line switch.
In my test, if to pass several dirs to DFHL, even with one identical file, (DFHL.exe /l /h e:\dir1\ e:\dir2\ e:\dir3\) it takes unacceptable long time to work, at least here on Vista. Maybe it doesn't work at all... I even cannot wait until it will finish and just press Ctrl+C...
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Reparse points have one problem compared to normal copies - if you change one file, its copy will change too. Sometimes this is bad.

BTW, FindDupe accepts multiple filenames as parameters, so you may use lst2str (http://en.totalcmd.pl/download/add/add/lst2str) to convert filelist to command line string.