Flushing/saving settings (or at least tabs) more frequently

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

commodore

Flushing/saving settings (or at least tabs) more frequently

Post by *commodore »

My idea was originally posted in this thread:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=200101

Basically, I see two options:
-A setting such as "Save/flush settings every N minutes" which would make Total Commander commit its settings to disk every N minutes, thus making them safe from eventual crashes/freezes/outages/etc.
-Tabs status being saved (to the default place) whenever you change them (i.e. whenever you open/close a tab, change contents, move their order...) - something like Firefox does, apparently (i.e. if my Firefox or system crashes/freezes, Firefox will always open what it had before; whereas Total Commander only opens the tabs that were there at the time I last closed Total Commander regularly).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You may use any external script that will send to TC save command every N minutes. :)
JustAnotherTCUser

Post by *JustAnotherTCUser »

MVV wrote:You may use any external script that will send to TC save command every N minutes. :)
for a while i used such a simple script. interval 2 or 3 seconds.

then i found out, that an inplace rename loses focus when save command is sent to TC.

i also appreciate a TC internal solution of this simple task to save tab states.
either cyclic or after any changes of tabs.

regards
chrizoo

Re: Flushing/saving settings (or at least tabs) more frequen

Post by *chrizoo »

commodore wrote: Basically, I see two options:
-A setting such as "Save/flush settings every N minutes" [...]
-Tabs status being saved (to the default place) whenever you change them (i.e. whenever you open/close a tab, change contents, move their order...) - something like Firefox does, apparently (i.e. if my Firefox or system crashes/freezes, Firefox will always open what it had before; whereas Total Commander only opens the tabs that were there at the time I last closed Total Commander regularly).
seconding the motion, with preference for option 2 over option 1