Nonsense bug with Backspace button !

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AL|EN

Nonsense bug with Backspace button !

Post by *AL|EN »

Hello.
I wanted to use this outstanding application, but there is one thing that drive me crazy: when i use backspace button to "up one level" it stops at drive content, without even going to My Computer level when i see all drives. In fact it should go to Desktop level as it is lowest level in windows explorer.

And since I'm using Windows and an application for Windows why the hell it don't follow Windows design ? I don't want to use old and outdated 1985 DOS scheme.

So pls be so kind and tell me how i can change it. Maybe there is an option to do it ? Also how about some replay about when this will be changed ? Because i don't get that no one ever wanted to change this behavior.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Nonsense bug with Backspace button !

Post by *fenix_productions »

2AL|EN
Configuration -> Display -> "Show parent dir [] also in root drive"

You will still need to use .. but it should help you a little bit.
AL|EN wrote:Hello.
And since I'm using Windows and an application for Windows why the hell it don't follow Windows design ? I don't want to use old and outdated 1985 DOS scheme.
Because TC is meant to work different from Explorer? It is Norton Commander (DOS) clone, not Explorer.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, AL|EN.

Activate the setting Configuration => Options => Display => [x] Show parent dir [..] also on root of drive, please.

Checkout the breadcrumb bar, please. It will allow you to go to Desktop, My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Libraries (if available) etc pp directly.

Kind regards,
Karl
AL|EN

Re: Nonsense bug with Backspace button !

Post by *AL|EN »

fenix_productions wrote:2AL|EN
Configuration -> Display -> "Show parent dir [] also in root drive"

You will still need to use .. but it should help you a little bit.
Thanks for fast reply but that is no solution at all. I cannot use backspace to access lower levels and i cannot go to desktop level at all.
fenix_productions wrote:Because TC is meant to work different from Explorer? It is Norton Commander (DOS) clone, not Explorer.
I know that it's Norton Commander clone, but NC was used for DOS operating system (if you can call it that) and now TC is used at Windows operating system - it is obvious thing that it should follow OS logic.

I found that there is an option "Open desktop folder" in menu ?!?!?! A menu for such thing ? I'm sorry but that is just wrong.

Since there is a menu for that, is there any way to hack TC to use this menu function when i press backspace at "My computer" level ? But the first thing isn't resolved either: how i can have quick access to "My computer" level by using backspace button ?
karlchen wrote:Hello, AL|EN.
Checkout the breadcrumb bar, please. It will allow you to go to Desktop, My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Libraries (if available) etc pp directly.
I don't need such thing for windows explorer, i need TC to follows windows logic.
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

Windows logic sucks - I can't stand what Windows and Explorer do (or don't do!).

There, now I said it. :)

I think there are so many here, NC then TC users forever, we've never cared about it. If I need another drive, I'm so used to Alt+F1 and Alt+F2, that's what I'd do, and not press backspace. It's quicker (for me) to go that way, then it is to all the way back up to the desktop, then travel down the list again.

But to each his own...
AL|EN

Post by *AL|EN »

Jon Canale wrote:If I need another drive, I'm so used to Alt+F1 and Alt+F2, that's what I'd do, and not press backspace. It's quicker (for me) to go that way, then it is to all the way back up to the desktop, then travel down the list again.
How you can access to desktop folder when ALT+F1/F2 don't contain "Desktop" level ? How it can be quicker than pressing Backspace 3 times ?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

AL|EN wrote:How it can be quicker than pressing Backspace 3 times ?
Sometimes you are deeper than three levels down but if breadcrumb is enabled it always takes 3 shortcuts:
1. Alt+F11 (or Alt+F12) - focus breadcrumbs bar,
2. arrow down - to select Desktop element,
3. Enter
... or one shortcut if you assign cm_OpenDesktop to it. There are dozen ways to get into this directory.

Please remember that even if it makes you angry, it is not the same for other users. So called "Windows logic" is not always the only way to follow. An author chosen his path and if it really bothers you so much, there are other file managers which may have requested functionality. TC way is to treat drives list as top level, Windows way - Desktop. That's how it is.

I am not trying to stop you from giving ideas but please matter the tone.
Last edited by fenix_productions on 2010-08-20, 19:26 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

AL|EN,
You can type \\ into the command line and press Enter to access the desktop. You could also use something like AutoHotkey to map Backspace to cm_OpenDesktop.
And I am one of those who prefer TC logic to Explorer logic, too.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2AL|EN
If you enable Configuration => Options => Display => [x] Show parent dir [..] also on root of drive - all you have to do is to press Enter after the last backspace press, then "My Computer" will open.

It is actually not different from Explorer in Windows 7 - here you also have to press Enter to open My Computer in the file panel after backspacing to it - and depending of your setting of your "Folder and search options" -> "Navigation Pane" -> "Show all folders" you EITHER get to Desktop OR My Computer when continously pressing backspace, when for example starting from a folder on the C: drive.

In Explorer under Windows XP on the other hand, you will always get to Desktop when continously pressing backspace, but you will pass My Computer on the way - and it will expand automatically.

So TC is more or less following Window 7 logic - continously pressing backspace ending with an Enter press will open My Computer.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AL|EN

Post by *AL|EN »

There is Alt+Up for windows 7 to get the same effect as BS on XP. Does author of TC still develop this application ? Maybe he can ad simple option. Honestly TC supports everything via plugin, but doesn't have such simple thing ?

I don't want to type \\, i don't want to move my hand to other key etc.

I found such thing: ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Backspace_In_Drive_Root_Opens_My_Computer but it opens "My Computer" level, pls someone edit this script to go to desktop level !
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

PostMessage 1075, 2122, , , ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
Replace 2122 with 2121

HTH
Holger
AL|EN

Post by *AL|EN »

HolgerK wrote:
Replace 2122 with 2121

HTH
Holger
No no :-(((((((((((((( It omits "My computer" level. I think that is must be added something like that:

If( RegExMatch( tcStatus, "\\NameOfMyComputerAtDesktop>\*.*" ) )
PostMessage, 1075, 2121 ; cm_OpenDesktop

but i don't know how to get it working. HELP ! It' is so close !
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

If( RegExMatch( tcStatus, "\\NameOfMyComputerAtDesktop>\*.*" ) )
\\Computer> in Vista.

Code: Select all

$BS::
IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
{
  WinGetText, PanelText, A
  IfInString, PanelText, \\Computer>
    PostMessage 1075, 2121, , , ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
  else IfInString, PanelText, :\>
  Else
    Send, {BS}
}
Else
  Send, {BS}
Return
HTH
Holger

Post by *AL|EN »

It's work AWESOME !! But... to make this perfect:

instead of "PanelText, \\Computer>" let's make it "PanelText, \\*>"

* - anything, eg: Komputer, Otoczenie Sieciowe, Dokumenty etc

I tried to use "*" but i don't know AutoHotkey scripts language.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Code: Select all

$BS::
IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
{
  WinGetText, PanelText, A
  If RegExMatch(PanelText, "\\\\([^\\>]*)>")
    PostMessage 1075, 2121, , , ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
  else IfInString, PanelText, :\>
  Else
    Send, {BS}
}
Else
  Send, {BS}
Return
But this prevents you to navigate from "\\SERVERNAME\*.*" or "\\\FileSystemPluginName\*.*" back to "\\Network\*.*".

Regards
Holger