Sync directories on multiple targets

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DanAvni

Sync directories on multiple targets

Post by *DanAvni »

i have 3 servers holding the same set of folders ( a web site)
when we need to update the site i copy all changes to one server and usually sync that folder with server 2 and then sync again with server 3

my suggestion: since i want to apply the exact same changes to both servers, add a button on the sync folders window for multi sync in which i will be able to specify more target directories to which the exact same changes should be applied (same changes as the one being copied from left to right on my case).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe you can just save some presets and load them using buttonbar buttons? So you won't need to setup sync options every time.
DanAvni

Post by *DanAvni »

the problem is not running the compare but that i have to run a compare of server 1 and 2 and sync changes when i run server 1 and 3 and sync the same changes again (same changes i already found when comparing server 1 and 2). the compare of 1 and 3 is redundant and takes time which could be saved if i could sync to multiple targets at once
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

DanAvni,
Could you overwrite the target path when clicking synchronize to the path of server 3 and after the files are copied then synchronize with server 2 normally? Does it save some time?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
DanAvni

Post by *DanAvni »

Hacker, i am sorry but i did not understand your question. basically i need to sync 3 (and sometimes 5) servers so a specific directory on all of them is exactly the same. as i said i usually make changes to #1 and then sync with #2 and then sync again with #3 and so on
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

DanAvni
You have a possibility to change (overwrite) the target path after clicking Synchronize but before clicking OK.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
A.Mlynski

sync multiple-jobs

Post by *A.Mlynski »

I do think the option to save Sync settings and recall them (either with the small Favorites Button in the upper left corner of the Sync Dialog or with the SYNCOPEN command for a Command Bar Button) is a good point to start with.

=== SUGGESTED ENHANCEMENT: Sync Job Macro ===
It would be a great enhancement if there was a possibility to automatically load and execute a batch job (or macro) invoking 2 (or more) of those presets (without intervening user dialogs).

This should do the job for DanAvni: he could define 2 sync presets and have them execute automatically by just calling one Sync Job Macro.
(Yes, I do understand that DanAvni wanted even more: save the time for comparing server 3 vs. 1, as the compare results would be the same as for server 2 vs. 1 - but my feeling is that this is so special that hardly anyone else could use the functionality. With my suggestion, he would not save the time for comparison, but the suggested "Sync Job Macro" should have everything setup so that he just needs to press start, go get a coffee and have no more user dialogs until everything is done).

And this would do the job for my requirement:
I'd like to sync various directories to / from a USB pendrive, and I prefer TC to all those backup tools I checked out so far.

The "Sync Job Macro" would require to expand the presets with the options we nowadays set when pressing the "Sycronize" Button (like copy left to right, right to left, ask for confirmation ...).
Additionally, there would be one more option I would love to have in the Sync Presets: "sync only existing subdirectories" (would never create a new directory on the target, just sync all files in the existing dirs - good for partial backups to a pendrive).
A.Mlynski

Almost found it

Post by *A.Mlynski »

Ok, I just found it almost exists!

A job for multiple predefined syncs can easily be done in a DOS Batch-File

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD.EXE /S=S:=SyncJob1
TOTALCMD.EXE /S=S:=SyncJob2
where SyncJob1 and SyncJob2 are predefined Sync Jobs.
The Batch-File, of course, could be envoked via Command button.

All I'm still missing is a method to auto start the sync and to preset the sync options, which today I need to click after starting the sync.
My example above will auto-start the comparison only, not the sync.
So every job in the batch still requires 2 additional clicks (and thus does not allow a coffe break :wink: ).