Appending search results in a panel

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CharlesF

Appending search results in a panel

Post by *CharlesF »

Is there way to have the results of different sequential searches appended to the results of previous searches in a panel.

OR

Is there a way to have the results of searches retained such that the results of subsequent searches are added to the results of previous searches in the FIND FILES list.

Thanks.

Regards,
Charles
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

You cannot append multiple search result but you can feed the search result to different tabs by holding down the <Shift> key while pressing Feed to listbox button.
CharlesF

Post by *CharlesF »

ts4242 wrote:You cannot append multiple search result but you can feed the search result to different tabs by holding down the <Shift> key while pressing Feed to listbox button.
Thanks for the quick response.

How about retaining search results AFTER "Feed to listbox" has been clicked? I've seen situations where search results have been retained after I've clicked on "Feed to listbox". The only problem is I can't figure out when the list is retained and when it isn't!

Btw, using your tip I have found a way to concatenate search results using the Virtual Panel plugin. The only problem is that duplicate files in different paths are overwritten in the Virtual panel (sigh>.

Regards,
Charles
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

CharlesF wrote:How about retaining search results AFTER "Feed to listbox" has been clicked?
Do you mean retain the result in the Find dialog? The Find dialog retains the result only if you pressed Cancel button.
CharlesF

Post by *CharlesF »

ts4242 wrote:
CharlesF wrote:How about retaining search results AFTER "Feed to listbox" has been clicked?
Do you mean retain the result in the Find dialog? The Find dialog retains the result only if you pressed Cancel button.
It would nice to have the search results (optionally) retained.

Btw, I just pulled down your TC tools, very nice indeed.

Regards,
Charles
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

CharlesF wrote:It would nice to have the search results (optionally) retained.
It is already optional via SearchKeepLast

Copy the following line and run Configuration Editor (or press F4 if it is already running), the program will start and pre-select the key SearchKeepLast, so you can quickly find it and change its value if you want.

Code: Select all

Wincmd.ini\Configuration\SearchKeepLast
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Appending search results in a panel

Post by *nsp »

CharlesF wrote:Is there way to have the results of different sequential searches appended to the results of previous searches in a panel.
You can if you want use virtual panel for this task.

A) Create a Virtual folder in vitual panel or empty an existing one.

B.1 Do your search and feed to listbox copy the result in your virtual folder
.2 Do your second search and feed to listbox and copy the result in your virtual folder.

In your virtual folder you have all the result appended... The order and multiple occurrences are not maintained.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2nsp
CharlesF wrote:Btw, using your tip I have found a way to concatenate search results using the Virtual Panel plugin. The only problem is that duplicate files in different paths are overwritten in the Virtual panel (sigh>.
:wink:
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ts4242 wrote:2nsp
CharlesF wrote:Btw, using your tip I have found a way to concatenate search results using the Virtual Panel plugin. The only problem is that duplicate files in different paths are overwritten in the Virtual panel (sigh>.
:wink:
This is because you use overwrite all use rename instead..
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

CharlesF, you may use following buttonbar button to add selected files to currently opened in target panel VP folder:

Command: "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\FileSystem\VirtualPanel\VPBatch.exe" ^put /adl "%${}Path%\"
Parameter: %WL
(specify your path to VPBatch)

All links with same names will be auto-renamed using (1), (2) etc.

This button doesn't allow to add folder links because TC appends backslash to folder path in filelist and VP doesn't expect theese backslashes there.
Also note that VPBatch may work bad if you have more than one virtual panel loaded in TC.
CharlesF

Post by *CharlesF »

ts4242 wrote:
CharlesF wrote:It would nice to have the search results (optionally) retained.
It is already optional via SearchKeepLast

Copy the following line and run Configuration Editor (or press F4 if it is already running), the program will start and pre-select the key SearchKeepLast, so you can quickly find it and change its value if you want.

Wincmd.ini\Configuration\SearchKeepLast
The value is currently set to 1. Does this mean search results are supposed will be kept? (They aren't always kept which is why I am asking).

Regards,
Charles
CharlesF

Post by *CharlesF »

MVV wrote:CharlesF, you may use following buttonbar button to add selected files to currently opened in target panel VP folder:

Command: "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\FileSystem\VirtualPanel\VPBatch.exe" ^put /adl "%${}Path%"
Parameter: %WL
(specify your path to VPBatch)

All links with same names will be auto-renamed using (1), (2) etc.

This button doesn't allow to add folder links because TC appends backslash to folder path in filelist and VP doesn't expect theese backslashes there.
Also note that VPBatch may work bad if you have more than one virtual panel loaded in TC.
Many thanks for this. Works very well for my purposes. Thanks again.

Regards,
Charles
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

CharlesF wrote:The value is currently set to 1. Does this mean search results are supposed will be kept?
Search result will be kept only if you closed the "Find files" dialog by pressing Cancel button, if you closed it by [X] button, it will not kept.

In the beta forum, I already request to keep the search result when closing the dialog by [X] button too.
CharlesF

Post by *CharlesF »

ts4242 wrote:
CharlesF wrote:The value is currently set to 1. Does this mean search results are supposed will be kept?
Search result will be kept only if you closed the "Find files" dialog by pressing Cancel button, if you closed it by [X] button, it will not kept.

In the beta forum, I already request to keep the search result when closing the dialog by [X] button too.
I would like search results to be kept until another search is initiated whatever button is pressed. For example, I would like serach results to be kept even if I press Feed to Listbox

I guess this is not possible.

Regards,
Charles