MD5/SHA1 checksum generator/checker

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

stas

MD5/SHA1 checksum generator/checker

Post by *stas »

Hello people!
I wrote plugin to check/generate MD5 and SHA1 checksums from within Total Commander plugin interface. Yes, I know that TC already checks MD5, but I still prefere to use my own plugin as it's almost 1.5x faster 8)
Trial for yourselves:

http://sysdlabs.hypermart.net/proj/tc.shtml#checksum
| hamlet DB 2Bh or not 2Bh, ?
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

It would be nice if after entering the "archive" .sha or .md5 file I could see at once which files are correct and which are changed (eg by different icons).
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

The plugin doesn't work for me under W98SE and TC 6.01. When I try to generate an MD5 I get a Plugin: File not found! messagebox and when I try to check an MD5 I get a disk read error from TC.
Both checking and creating work fine using TC on the same file.

TIA
Roman
stas

Post by *stas »

djk wrote:It would be nice if after entering the "archive" .sha or .md5 file I could see at once which files are correct and which are changed (eg by different icons).
Yes, this should be a very interesting thing to do! But... Checksumming is usually made with huge files and takes a lot of time... I'm unsure if user really want for check to be performed each time he/she enters MD5 "archive". Thus file is only checked on request (viewing it or performing "Test" action).
stas

Post by *stas »

Hacker wrote:The plugin doesn't work for me under W98SE and TC 6.01. When I try to generate an MD5 I get a Plugin: File not found! messagebox and when I try to check an MD5 I get a disk read error from TC.
Both checking and creating work fine using TC on the same file.

TIA
Roman
Oooops, I'm really sorry if you experienced this using 0.2a version of my plugin... It's highly size-optimized release. I thought it was safe but it seems that I was wrong :roll:

Please check the previous non-optimized version and notify me if error persists: http://sysdlabs.hypermart.net/wcx_checksum.zip
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

I also have Win98SE / TC6.01 and I am still receiving the same errors as Hacker, even with the non-optimized version.
:cry:
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
stas

Post by *stas »

lzvk25 wrote:I also have Win98SE / TC6.01 and I am still receiving the same errors as Hacker, even with the non-optimized version.
:cry:
I had used some NT-specific flags for opening checksum files :oops:
Now switched back for Win9x compatibility...

Version 0.2b is here:
http://sysdlabs.hypermart.net/proj/wcx_checksum.zip

Still has a problem as Win95 systems have no MSVCRT.dll runtime... :shock:
Can anyone confirm that for me?
Clo

Library...

Post by *Clo »

2stas
:D Hello,
Just the info about the MSVCRT.dll:
I've it under Win98 SE, version 6.10.8924.0 in ...\windows\system\MSVCRT.dll
:arrow: 248 KB - Dated Nov., 14th., 2003 - MS - Visual C++ library

and an older one as version 6.00.8168.0, installed by my IP DSL program, so not used by other softs...
Hoping that'll help you,
:) Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

stas wrote:
djk wrote:It would be nice if after entering the "archive" .sha or .md5 file I could see at once which files are correct and which are changed (eg by different icons).
Yes, this should be a very interesting thing to do! But... Checksumming is usually made with huge files and takes a lot of time... I'm unsure if user really want for check to be performed each time he/she enters MD5 "archive". Thus file is only checked on request (viewing it or performing "Test" action).
That's really a problem while using with large files - it could really last too long, but I sometimes get it with a large number of not so huge files and in this case it would be nice to have possibility to quickly see if everything is ok.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to make it universal, I mean once check it automatically, and once on demand.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2stas

When developing plugins you should avoid dependencies to runtime DLLs. The iso plugin is a good example on how to create a powerful, small and independant (from runtime libs) packer plugin. Source code can be found on www.ghisler.com.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2004-01-10, 02:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

Thanks it works now !!
:D
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
stas

Post by *stas »

djk wrote: That's really a problem while using with large files - it could really last too long, but I sometimes get it with a large number of not so huge files and in this case it would be nice to have possibility to quickly see if everything is ok.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to make it universal, I mean once check it automatically, and once on demand.
It is possible to make such plugin configurable so user determines which file he/she wants to be auto-checked :)
Just some .ini file or registry setting... But I still have a problem! There's no way to make packer plugin to display different icons :(
Maybe I should change displayed filename? This can be pretty annoying :(
stas

Post by *stas »

Lefteous wrote:2stas

When developing plugins you should avoid dependencies to runtime DLLs. The iso plugin is a good example on how to create a powerful, small and independant (from runtime libs) packer plugin. Source code can be found on www.ghisler.com.
Beleive me, I do hate runtimes more than anyone :evil:
ISO plugin has a nice trick: runtime calls are re-implemented in a clean way. Well, that's OK to reimplement malloc()/free(). I myself reimplemented isspace()/isxdigit()/isalnum()/tolower() as
macros as Visual C runtime was buggy. But just think about reimplementing stream-oriented fopen() through CreateFile() & SetFilePointer() calls! No, it's not difficult, it's a trivial job... But it's a pain in ass! :x
Also, MSVCRT.DLL is something like Linux libc.so, I thought it was omnipresent. Micro$oft betrayed my beleifs.
The best solution I found 'till yet is to link some runtime code statically. It becomes 60 Kb plugin against 8 Kb of MSVCRT.DLL dependand one. :roll:
stas

Let's make our debug fluxogram :)

Post by *stas »

You downloaded checksum.wcx plugin. It doesn't works :?
oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

stas wrote:
Also, MSVCRT.DLL is something like Linux libc.so, I thought it was omnipresent. Micro$oft betrayed my beleifs.
Well, not really :) The only Windows version that ships without MSVCRT.DLL is the original version of Windows 95 (OSR 1!!!); it just had another (older, obsoletting) runtime library (can't recall the name off the top of my head ...)