[Bug TC6.01] No message when not all files displayed (Win98)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

[Bug TC6.01] No message when not all files displayed (Win98)

Post by *white »

On my computer (Windows 98) Total Commander will show up to 32699 entries in the File window. I have no problem with this limit. I do have a problem with Total Commmander not reporting when a number of entries could not be shown. Suppose I thought I copied all files to another location and decided to delete the folder with the original files. Whoops...

It seems that Total Commander ignores errors when adding entries to the File window.

[edit]
Fixed in version 6.50
07.12.04 Added: Win9x/ME: Show error "Too many files" with lists longer than 32700 files, the maximum supported by standard listbox controls
[/edit]
Last edited by white on 2005-01-24, 12:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

It is Windows 98 (not TC) which limits the number of files in the list.
TC only counts the files in the list, no more no less ...

Check with Explorer and you get the same or most likely less ...
#5767 Personal license
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

sqa_wizard wrote:Check with Explorer and you get the same or most likely less ...
Actually, explorer shows me all 65534 files in my folder (yes I checked).

BTW. The maximum number of files in a sub folder on a FAT32 file system is 65534 files. The FAT32 file system can have 65536 directory entries, two are used by "." and "..". If you use long file names the number is less, because long file names use additional directory entries.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's a limitation of the used listbox control. Explorer uses a ListView, but this has other disadvantages: It's much slower than the listbox, and isn't available on all platforms.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's a limitation of the used listbox control.
What do you mean exactly?

Do you mean:
A) The limitation of the used listbox control in Windows 98 is that it cannot show a large number of strings.
As stated clearly before, I have no problem with this.

Or do you mean:
B) The limitation of the used listbox control in Windows 98 is that there is no way to detect if filling the listbox (partly) fails.
This does not seem very likely to me.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

A) The limitation of the used listbox control in Windows 98 is that it cannot show a large number of strings.
As stated clearly before, I have no problem with this.
Exactly.
B) The limitation of the used listbox control in Windows 98 is that there is no way to detect if filling the listbox (partly) fails.
Indeed I could show an error every time, but this would probably be very annoying. Perhaps I could use the new error box with option "don't show this error again". What do you think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Perhaps I could use the new error box with option "don't show this error again". What do you think?
Yes, please.

I think it is dangerous to show nothing although the list content is incomplete.

Is there any way to show the next bunch of files ?

What about a "+" button (by means of "more" but needs no translation) at the footer line to indicate the incomplete list status ?
#5767 Personal license
Clo

Blink...

Post by *Clo »

2sqa_wizard
:D    Hi!

:?:  Why not a blinking last line? Coming red also???
:mrgreen: KR
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2004-01-16, 21:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Indeed I could show an error every time, but this would probably be very annoying. Perhaps I could use the new error box with option "don't show this error again". What do you think?
Yes, please :)
And I also would like a small mark to be visible somewhere during the time a listbox does not display all items.
Maybe by simply adding a text like "xx items not listed!" to the status bar.

BTW. I think this situation can also happen on an other OS than Windows 98 in the situation when the user (temporarily) runs out of resources. So I think it is important this is not ignored.