Preserve file modify date on copy using ReiserFS plugin

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

stealth210

Preserve file modify date on copy using ReiserFS plugin

Post by *stealth210 »

Hello all. I extensively used the search function to try to find this answer and could not.

I'm using TC to transfer files from a sick disk with a logical partition in the ReiserFS format.

The copy is successful, however the files' modified dates are all current. For example, I copy 10 files with modify dates from 1999 and the destination folder with the 10 successfully copied files shows 2011-06-13.

I really want to preserve the original file dates for sentimental reasons (they are personal files from 12+ years ago).

Is there a way to do this in TC? If not, can I export an XML or other document that contains the original directory tree and files including modified date? If I can do this, I can write an application to modify all the files' dates. I've got about 8500 files in an elaborate directory structure to deal with, so manually editing them is not desired.

Thanks!
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Well, use the synchronize directory function.

Just browse to the same directory on both drives and call "synchronize dirs" function.
- Enable "subdirs" option and deactivate "singles" button
- Do a compare
- Mark all files (Ctrl + A)
- Show context menu and select "Copy file properties" (choose direction as required)
- Enable "Time stamp" option only.
#5767 Personal license
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

Ok, I will try it tonight. I knew this seemed like a logical feature to have, I just couldn't find it described as well as you did. Thanks!
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

That did not work. The destination directory contains the successfully copied files with today's date.

If I enable "subdirs" and disable "singles" button, no files result in the "Compare".

If I reselect the "singles" button, the files show up on "Compare".

I then do a CTRL+A

Right click, Copy file properties (make sure timestamp is checked, it is by default. Attributes are not checked). No change on this dialog.

Click Synchronize

All files are today's timestamp :(
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

To clarify, all files show "Date Modified" of today and not their original times (File shows 6/14/2011 6:54PM instead of 3/2/1999 12:24AM)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are the file dates shown by the plugin itself correct?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Are the file dates shown by the plugin itself correct?
Yes, the source dates are correct.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/zNeQA.png
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you use some kind of background virus scanner? Some scanners can prevent the copying of the file date because they lock the files after copying (to scan them).
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Do you use some kind of background virus scanner? Some scanners can prevent the copying of the file date because they lock the files after copying (to scan them).
No virus scanner. I originally tried on my Windows 7 machine, same results. Then, I built this Windows XP machine from scratch (vanilla install) and the first thing installed was TC. Same results.

Let me ask, if there is not a way to copy the file modify date easily, is there a way to export a recursive list from the source directory of the directories and file names that would include modify date? If so, I can that and script out the mod date on the destination.

Thanks for your help!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can use "Synchronize dirs" to compare source and target (recursively). Then select all with Ctrl+A, open the context menu, and choose to copy the attributes. It allows to copy also the timestamps.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Let me ask, if there is not a way to copy the file modify date easily, is there a way to export a recursive list from the source directory of the directories and file names that would include modify date? If so, I can that and script out the mod date on the destination.
- Search for all files *.*
- Feed to list box
- create and select a new "custom column view" and add "[=tc.writedate]"
- Ctrl+A
- "Mark->Copy to Clipboard with all details"
Separator between path and date is a tab(\t) character.

HTH
Holger
Make our planet great again
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

HolgerK wrote:
- Search for all files *.*
- Feed to list box
- create and select a new "custom column view" and add "[=tc.writedate]"
- Ctrl+A
- "Mark->Copy to Clipboard with all details"
Separator between path and date is a tab(\t) character.

HTH
Holger
Oh so close! I did a *.* search, got all results of course. Added a column via Show>Custom Columns Mode>Configure custom columns...>New (Name:ModDate)>Add column>(Field contents=[tc.writedate])>Ok.

Now my new column named "ModDate" = Today's date :(
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

Also, I have tried other ReiserFS drive reader apps and TC w/reiserfs plugin is the ONLY one that will happily read the drive. Even a native Linux ReiserFS driver can't. I will gladly buy a copy of TC (I'm being a freeloader right now) if I can get this to work.

So frustrating because on the source pane on the left, all the dates are correct.
stealth210

Post by *stealth210 »

What are the other tc.[variable]s available? I think we may have found a problem with the reiserfs driver not populating them correctly. I would be happy to research.
arntgur

Post by *arntgur »

For files I have no issues the date/time is preserved.
For folders it does not get preserved and I could not find how to do that.
And the synchronized dirs won't solve it either. I used v 8.01, updated to 8.51, with no difference, with either copy or synchronize dirs. Then also tried the copy NTFS Permissions just in case to no avail.