Probleme mit LAN Plugin

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mrstefan

Probleme mit LAN Plugin

Post by *mrstefan »

Hallo,

erst mal, Hammer, TC auf Android ist wirklich stark!

Ich nutze nun TC mit LAN Plugin auf meinem Samsung Galaxy II erfolgreich, innerhalb meines WLAN kann ich einwandfrei auf meinen Home Server zugreifen.

Auf meinem Motorola Xoom funktioniert dies hingegen leider nicht :(
Folgende Meldung erhalte ich:
Verbindungsfehler!
Gemelderter Fehler:
Fail to connect: Server/192.168.1.247

Der Name des Servers ist "Server" und die Dynamische IP war auch die .247

Habt ihr einen Tip für mich?
sylas11

Post by *sylas11 »

So I think there _is_ some kind of problem with LAN plugin on tablets. As I wrote in another thread, I tried many combinations of server name, IP and share name. In case of using server name instead of IP, I got similar errors like the above, only with the different IP.
I have Acer Iconia A500 running Honeycomb 3.01.
mrstefan

Post by *mrstefan »

Hi,

ok tried it on the Samsung Galaxy (1. Gen) from my wife and it runs also fine (like on my Galaxy 2).
On the Motorola Xomm with Android 3.0.1 it doesnt run.
Now i`ve tried it with the IP adress and get the following error code:
Verbindungsfehler!
Gemelderter Fehler:
Fail to connect: 0.0.0.0<00>/192.168.1.247

Seems to be a problem with honeycomb...

mrstefan
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Could you try to run an ftp server on your PC, like the free FileZilla Server from here:
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

Then try to use the FTP plugin to connect to it. This will give you an indication whether it's a general connection problem, or a problem with SMB/LAN only.

You may also try the app "ES file explorer" (German: "ES Datei Explorer") from the market, it also supports LAN connections.

It seems to be a general problem of Android 3.0 only, is that right?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mrstefan

Post by *mrstefan »

Hi, ok i have tried ES file explorer and it runs fine.
I can up and download files without any problems.

At the moment i havent tried ftp. I hope i can try it today or tomorrow.
sylas11

Post by *sylas11 »

I have several devices in my home network, running FTP and SMB servers parrallelly. No problem connecting to the FTP server using the FTP plugin, always the same errors using the LAN plugin to connect to the SMB server.
I have no problems connecting LAN using File Manager HD and also the other filemanagers. So defininitely this is not a general connection error, but something specific to Android Honeycomb. Unfortunately, I don't have the other Android devices to check it out.

And one more thing. Just tried the WebDAV plugin. I got the "xml parse error" and finally no connection. Other programs connect well. On the same device FTP plugin works fine, and LAN plugin returns error (specified in previous posts).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I have no idea what could be wrong on your system. TC uses the same library (jcifs) as all the other java-based file managers on Android, so it should behave the same way. You will have to use a different file manager. Sorry that I cannot help you, but it's not in my own code (jcifs is a publicly available library).

Regarding WebDAV, the error means that the server sent some invalid xml.
mattb

Post by *mattb »

Hi,

(German user but posting in English)
I also use TC for Android, but on Galaxy Tab with Android 2.2 and get the same connection error like 'mrstefan', so Honeycomb might not be the causing problem.
Trying to connect to the USB Server on Vodafone Easybox 802. Already tried many combinations of IP and host name.
Would be great if this could be fixed.

Best regards,
mattb
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem with non-Windows hosts is that they can be configured with 100s of options, and if they don't match the options used by the jcifs library, there will be no connection. But this doesn't explain why a connection to the SAME server works on some devices but not on others. :(

I will try to play with the jcifs settings with the next betas, but I can't probably do much without being able to reproduce the problem.
sylas11

Post by *sylas11 »

One more thing: I have noticed, that I got the same error even if the server is down or if I specify some non-existing IP/name... So maybe there is something wrong even before connection is estabilished.

Another thing: when I use IP number, i.e. 192.168.1.110, I receive "Failed to connect: 0.0.0.0<00>/192.168.1.110". So, the second part of message is the proper IP of the device.
But when I use server name instead of IP, i.e. DiskStation, l receive "Failed to connect: hmb/217.74.65.145". Hmb is the name of my _another_ server (also specified in the server list) and I have no idea what that IP is... Its not my external IP, not DNS etc. So it looks like there is some strange mix of parameters in error message in this case. The same is for another servers in my home network, when I use names not IPs - I always get "hmb" (not the name of the device I try connect to) and strange IP in the message.

I am using two non-windows smb servers and two computers (XP and 7). Computers are configured differntly, one is of anonymous access, second one is secured with password.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I have no idea - these error strings are returned by the JCIFS library, and Total Commander just reports them without modification.
sylas11

Post by *sylas11 »

Some people reported the same errors in Astro File Manager, which also uses jcifs. Unfortunately, I am not able to test samba connection on Astro, because of Force close on the Astro samba module (reported by many Honeycomb users, not fixed till now). But someone tried to add a property (Astro allows for that):
jcifs.smb.client.useExtendedSecurity = false
and it worked.
Could you, please, incorporate this setting into the code, just for a quick test if this will work for TC running on Honeycomb tablets?

Sorry that I am bothering you with that problem, but without working samba module TC would loose as much as a half functionality, at least for me ;)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please contact me by e-mail (beta at ghisler dot com) for a private test version. I don't think that useExtendedSecurity = false is such a good idea. because it turns off the (secure) NTLMv2 authentication required by all modern Windows systems. It means that my plugin could no longer connect to Windows PCs, only to outdated Samba installations and Windows 9x.

It's strange that JCIFS doesn't try a fallback to NTLMv1 when the connection fails with NTLMv2...
sylas11

Post by *sylas11 »

EUREKA! The new version of the LAN plugin (dated 15/07) works fine for all my devices :) Thank you very much :)

WebDAV still don't work ("xml parse error"), but it is not very important, in fact I use WebDAV only for testing, not real transfers.
mrstefan

Post by *mrstefan »

The new PlugIn works great on my Xoom!
TC on android is really great!
Thank you!