Change the Packer icon to use what Windows Explorer uses?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fedorov

Change the Packer icon to use what Windows Explorer uses?

Post by *Fedorov »

TC is great and I've found how to do most things with it so far - only thing I don't like is that yellow box icon used to show "packed" files (.zip/.rar etc...)

I would prefer it if in my file listings it showed the same default file icon that Windows Explorer uses... e.g. WinRAR icon for .rar files and WinAce icon for .ace file etc..... is this possible please?

Thanks a lot.

Fedorov.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

It is definitely possible.
To achieve this you need to create an icl file, described on TCs homepage. There you can download a sample icl too:
http://www.ghisler.com/tools.htm#other
Then edit your wincmd.ini:

[Configuration]
IconLib=<icl file>
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2SanskritFritz

Using an iconlib you can specify an alternative packer icon for all archive types, but not one icon for every archive type as requested by Fedorov.
Fedorov

Post by *Fedorov »

Actually, just an option to stop TC from overriding the windows default icon with the packer icon in my file listings. I already have .zip .rar .ace listed in a different font color, just want them to show their own default icons the same as every other file type being listed :D

Fedorov.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 19-01-2004 16:44:37 +0000 Fedorov wrote:

F> only thing I don't like is that yellow box icon used to
F> show "packed" files (.zip/.rar etc...)

F> I would prefer it if in my file listings it showed the same
F> default file icon that Windows Explorer uses... e.g. WinRAR
F> icon for .rar files and WinAce icon for .ace file etc.....
F> is this possible please?

You can change an icon for all archives and use it instead of "yellow box", but the answer for your question is no, this is not possible.
And actually, this is right.
Commander works with all archives in a same way. So 'till I can do the same things with them regardless of archive type it doesn't matter for me what archive exactly I'm working with. It's enough for me that Commander says "this is archive" by "yellow box" (I use green one, but that' doesn't matter, actually %).
Of course Commander do not provide exactly the same functionality for all packers (specially for supported via plugins ones). So as for me it would be nice to have different icons (I'd prefer "boxes" of different color's %) for different functionality supported by archive - e.g. one for read only ones, another for not supported search ones etc.[/face]
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

With the new Configuration dialog in v6.0 it would be easy to add an "Icons" entry to the list. It could contain some options like the following:

Use this icon library for the standard icons: [editbox]
[checkbox] Use archive icon in the icon library instead of the shell default.
[checkbox] Use directory icon in the icon library instead of the shell default.
[checkbox] Show exclamation mark icon when the file has the hidden or system attribute set.

There are properly more options that could be added.

I have always felt that Christian has hold back on adding options to this dialog, you have to edit the WinCmd.ini all the time, even novice users.
For instance, I don't understand why the option to enable/disable brackets around directories has to be edited through the ini.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Fedorov

Post by *Fedorov »

I think a simple solution would be that if I've got "Treat archives like directories" turned OFF i.e. when I dbl-click a .rar file it opens in WinRAR like I prefer then TC should not override the default shell icons for archive file types as I've pretty much told it I don't want it to handle them.

Just want it to show me the same icons that I see in Explorer like it does with every other filetype.

When it's in v6.1 I'll be purchasing it :D

Will no doubt purchase it sooner than that though!!!

Fedorov.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 20-01-2004 02:26:45 +0000 Fedorov wrote:

F> I think a simple solution would be that if I've got "Treat
F> archives like directories" turned OFF i.e. when I dbl-click
F> a .rar file it opens in WinRAR like I prefer then TC should
F> not override the default shell icons for archive file types
F> as I've pretty much told it I don't want it to handle them.

You can be sure you are not the first one who ask something like this for that ten year Commander exists, but as you can see there is still no such a possibility. So I rather doubt it ever appears %). BTW, to open archives in associated program w/o "Treat archives like directories" disabling you can hit "Shift"+return.[/face]
j7n

Post by *j7n »

I was just gonna create a thread for this problem...

I've used to recognize file types by their icons. I think it is why icons are there for. Why should all of them have the same icon?

While TotalCmd may behave equally with many types of archives, their formats differ. One of them might be better for a certain application. There might be a format you never use yourself and this way you could recognize a newly downloaded file.

The packer interface has 'extended' to a point where not only archives can be created. What makes a listfile created by DiskDir or a Windows Installer package the same as Rar or 7-Zip? Or a game package TC is able to extract? Completely different files are made look similar this way.

There must be a way to remove this icon overriding.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Add 256 to the number you see in [PackerPlugins] section in wincmd.ini, this is the "don't show packer icon"-flag. You can do that also with tc_plugman with button "Tweak":
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tc_plugman.html

Icfu
This account is for sale
j7n

Post by *j7n »

Thank you for the solution.

While there is no change to the 'internally' recognized formats, I am using different (wrong) extensions. Ziz for zip, Raz for rar, etc. Can be replaced later with the Multi Rename. Perhaps someone finds this useful.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
QuarrellaDeVil

Post by *QuarrellaDeVil »

icfu wrote:
Add 256 to the number you see in [PackerPlugins] section in wincmd.ini, this is the "don't show packer icon"-flag.
I realize that I'm responding to an old note, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents to say "Thank you" for this solution. I, too, like to be able to spot certain archives by an icon that I assign, and that little yellow box was driving me crazy. :D This works for now, but I wouldn't mind a little check box in a future configuration menu that lets me override this type of thing.
The_underdog

Post by *The_underdog »

icfu wrote:
Add 256 to the number you see in [PackerPlugins] section in wincmd.ini, this is the "don't show packer icon"-flag. You can do that also with tc_plugman with button "Tweak":
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tc_plugman.html

Icfu
I also want to get rid of the ugly icon used by the TC to display the archives, but I just can't do it. There are several things that are not yet clear for me.
First of all, there wasn't any [PackerPlugins] section in my wincmd.ini file. Which is normall I guess because there weren't any packer plugins installed on my TC. Secondly to which packer plugin should I add the number 256, or differently spoken, which packer plugin should I install to check this "don't show packer icon" check box (flag ) using tc_plugman?
I'm sure that I'm close to the solution and this is really driving me crazy.

Edit: I forgot to tell you that I'm using the latest TC
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You cannot change packer icon of archives supported by TC internally this way but have to use an icon library:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Filelist_icons#Customize_filelist_icons

Icon libraries you can find here:
http://www.totalcmd.net/search.php?s=icons

Or create yourself, with @icon sushi for example:
http://www.towofu.net/soft/e-aicon.php

Icfu
This account is for sale
The_underdog

Post by *The_underdog »

icfu wrote:You cannot change packer icon of archives supported by TC internally this way but have to use an icon library:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Filelist_icons#Customize_filelist_icons

Icon libraries you can find here:
http://www.totalcmd.net/search.php?s=icons

Or create yourself, with @icon sushi for example:
http://www.towofu.net/soft/e-aicon.php

Icfu
Thanks for the links! I already managed to change the archive files icon with the one that I like.

The underdog