[WLX] Folder Picture

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Peter
Power Member
Power Member

[WLX] Folder Picture

Post by *Peter »

On totalcmd.net there is the plugin "Folder Picture"
http://totalcmd.net/plugring/folderpicture.html

I don't understand what it should do - can anyone show an example and a screenshot?

Thanks and best regards

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It can show a picture from within a folder as the folders icon in thumbnail mode.

If you for eaxmple put an image named folder.jpg in the directory, then this image will be used as thumbnail for the folder.

See: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/folderpicture.png - it is the folder named "Eksempler".

But: WmfAllowed has to be set to -1, 2 or 3 in wincmd.ini and Configuration -> Options -> Thumbnails -> Loading Thumbnails -> "Get from Lister plugins for:" has to be set to *.* - it is not enough to have it set to for example *.jpg.

So I urge the author to make it at least work when "Get from Lister plugins for:" is set to valid file types other than *.*.

If it could be made to work regardles of the setting of WmfAllowed it would also be a great improvement.
Last edited by petermad on 2016-07-25, 23:37 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

It "scans" folders for the files listed in ListOfFiles.txt - which are image files - and tries to decode them to show as a Preview/Thumbnail for folders in TC's thumbnail view.
In other words: when one of such file is found in a folder, the thumbnail will be the decoded/rendered file.

It is probably most useful for things like:
- AlbumArt of a folder=album based mp3/music collection
- folder-based image collections/albums which have a certain cover file, e.g. e-book scan

A folder.jpg file is sometimes created by Windows together with a desktop.ini file, either automatically with e.g. Windows Media Player, or when you customize the look of a folder via explorer.
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Thanks to both - my settings for "wmfallowed" were not correct, but now it works.
But I will have to watch the flickering of the selected thumbnail while the mouse is hoovering over other thumsnails.

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Ghisler (author)
It seems that the cm_ReloadSelThumbs doesn't really work for folder icons, either set by the FolderPicture.wlx plugin or by Explorers OLE2 function once the icons are cached.

If I for example allow Explorer to set folder icons by using WmfAllowed set to -1, 2 or 3 and enabeling the Explorer OLE2 method for *.* in the Thumbnail configuration - then when I disable folder thumbnails (either by changing WmfAllowed to 0 or by disabeling the Explorer OLE2 method), there are several folder that still has a thumbnail showing, and I cannot get rid of them using the cm_ReloadSelThumbs function. The only way to get rid of them is to rebuild the thumbnail cache by for example deleting thumbnails for no longer existing files.

Also if a folder thumbnail is set by plugin (FolderPicture.wlx) and I disable the plugin - then Explorer cannot show it's folder icon in stead for that folder until I rebuild the thumbnail cache - cm_ReloadSelThumbs has no effect here either

Another thing is that it is not possible to define a file type for folders in the Thumbnail configuration. If I for example ONLY want to use the Explorer OLE2 method to show thumbnails for folders but for NO other file type, then I cannot do that - I have to use *.* for file type to apply the method to folders. It would be nice if I could use saved searches as filter - like I can do it in the Ctrl+F12 filter for the file panels or for colorizing filetypes. Then I could make a saved search that finds only folders, call it fx. Folders and use >Folders as a filter in the Thumbnail setup.

Alternatively a special filetype for folders could be supported, like for example: #%folder%#.

If icons for foldes is provided by a plugin like FolderPicture.wlx and NOT by the Explorer OLE2 method, then it would be nice that it would override if WmfAllowed is set to 0 or 1.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It seems that the cm_ReloadSelThumbs doesn't really work for folder icons, either set by the FolderPicture.wlx plugin or by Explorers OLE2 function once the icons are cached.
Indeed cm_ReloadSelThumbs only clears Total Commander's own cache. There is no function to clear the Explorer cache, so if you use the Explorer method to extract thumbs, you will probably get the same thumbs again.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

But cm_ReloadSelThumbs cannot clear thumnails set by the FolderPicture plugin either - is there a chance that could be made function...?
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, no idea - maybe FolderPicture does its own caching?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com