FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Antonski wrote:Have you planned adding a support for Nero (nrg) images?
In long term — yes, but I'm not sure when I will be able to implement it. Currently I'm too busy even to add much simpler things... :(
mhe wrote:How do i uninstall the driver (vd_filedisk.inf)?
1. Remove the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VD_FileDisk]
2. Reboot your computer.
3. Remove Windows\System32\Drivers\vd_filedisk.sys file.

I suppose, this should be sufficient.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Giovanni

Post by *Giovanni »

I have a problem with VirtualDisk 1.30 Final (http://flint-inc.ru/Programs/VirtualDisk_1.30su1.rar).

When I mount an image file as a HDD, the available file space is 0 bytes.

I can delete files to gain free space. All works well.

Unmount then mount the image again and the free space is 0 bytes again.

Running Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit and Total Commander 7.03 only.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Giovanni
Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation.

Are you talking about free space on that virtual drive or somewhere else? What file system do you use inside the virtual drive image? What is its original size, and what does Explorer's Property dialog tell for this virtual drive? (a screenshot would be nice)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Giovanni

Post by *Giovanni »

Hi Flint, thanks for replying.

I was referring to the free space on the virtual drive. I did find the problem - sorry for not posting the solution: The virtual drive was formatted as FAT32 - reformatting as FAT solved the problem. The drive size was 256Mb so I shouldn't really have been using FAT32 anyway - but I had made a clone of my USB memory stick which was FAT32.

BTW - thanks for this very useful application.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Giovanni
Hm… I don't quite see how FAT32 could cause such a problem, but if it is solved — so far, so good. :)
Giovanni wrote:BTW - thanks for this very useful application.
You are quite welcome. :)

Giovanni

Post by *Giovanni »

Flint wrote:Hm… I don't quite see how FAT32 could cause such a problem
FYI: I also tried Bo Branten's FileDisk which your driver is based upon and I had the same results with FAT/FAT32.
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

Flint, please edit the first post in this thread to contain the latest download for VirtualDisk. I had to read through the whole topic to make sure I had the latest, since the first one didn't work.

awesome plugin btw. how come it's not listed on the plugin page?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sorry, I didn't receive mail notification about the reply in this thread… I updated the first post.
eydaimon wrote:how come it's not listed on the plugin page?
Which one? On ghisler.com site? Christian tries to keep his list of plugins to be as much safe for TC users as possible. VirtualDisk requires a third-party driver installed into the system, so it can cause significant damages in case of failure.

eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

Flint wrote:Sorry, I didn't receive mail notification about the reply in this thread… I updated the first post.
eydaimon wrote:how come it's not listed on the plugin page?
Which one? On ghisler.com site? Christian tries to keep his list of plugins to be as much safe for TC users as possible. VirtualDisk requires a third-party driver installed into the system, so it can cause significant damages in case of failure.
Great, thanks for the update. I'm sure others will find it useful :)

Also thanks for the reply why it's not on the ghisler.com site. Personally, I think it should still be there, with the appropriate warnings.

And one more final thanks again for such an awesome plugin.
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

I seem not to be able to get this to work in Windows 7. Anyone else have the same problem?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

eydaimon wrote:I seem not to be able to get this to work in Windows 7.
Unfortunately, I did not yet have time to test the plugin in Win7. Which version of Windows do you use? 32-bit or 64-bit? And which build number?

eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

Flint wrote:
eydaimon wrote:I seem not to be able to get this to work in Windows 7.
Unfortunately, I did not yet have time to test the plugin in Win7. Which version of Windows do you use? 32-bit or 64-bit? And which build number?
64-bit build 7000. I have heard that the release candidate will be available tomorrow for the public though.

oh, and thanks for the quick response :)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

eydaimon wrote:64-bit
Did you turn on the possibility of loading unsigned drivers?

eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

Flint wrote:
eydaimon wrote:64-bit
Did you turn on the possibility of loading unsigned drivers?
probably not. How do I do that?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

eydaimon wrote:How do I do that?
During boot press F8 and select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" (at least that's how it's made in Vista x64). Probably, there is a way to make the effect permanent, but I don't know it (in Vista it was achieved via bcdedit tool, but there were reports that some of the Vista patches cancelled this possibility; anyway, I know almost nothing about Win7).

BTW, did you follow the instruction in ReadMe and installed the 64-bit driver correctly? Otherwise it will not work even with disabled signature checks.