[x64] Gap at Beginning of Filename Rename

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

romulous

[x64] Gap at Beginning of Filename Rename

Post by *romulous »

Using TC 8.0 x64 on Win 7 64bit, there is now a gap at the beginning of the filename when you do a file rename (between the icon and the first character of the filename). This wasn't present in v7.56a:
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/1680/bug5v.png

It's visually distracting.

Regards.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Cannot confirm.

Win7x64Pro
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Odd - happens 100% of the time here, folders and files. When I click to rename, I see the filename physically move over to the right.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Can't confirm for Aero theme too.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, romulous and MVV.

I can confirm romulous's observation. I noticed so, too, when performing an inline rename operation on ...
+ Windows ???
+ with ??? theme
+ Total Commander 8.0 beta1 ??-bit
(cannot remember for sure, will have to check again :oops: ).

It does not happen on all Windows versions and on all Windows themes.
It does not happen using Total Commander 8.0 beta1 32-bit on Wine v1.2.3 on Ubuntu v10.04.3 32-bit either (not that too many people will care about T.C. 8 on Wine).

[Update]
The => following screenshots <= have been taken on Windows 2003 Std Sp2 64-bit using classic theme, yet, the same screenshots could have been taken on Server 2008 R2 using classic theme as well.
They illustrate the visual differences between the inline rename edit boxes displayed by
  • T.C. 7.56a 32-bit: filename does not slip right a bit. Edit box does not cover the filename below.
  • T.C. 8.0 ß1 32-bit: filename does not slip right a bit. Edit box covers the filename below partially.
  • T.C. 8.0 ß1 64-bit: filename slips right a bit. Edit box covers the filename below partially.
Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Cannot confirm - do you perhaps use large font mode in Windows (high dpi)?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Cannot confirm - do you perhaps use large font mode in Windows (high dpi)?
Me? - Definitely I don't.

[Update 1]

OK, simply saying "no" is one thing, but not too convincing. So here are the settings for the Windows 2003 server and the Server 2008 R2, both 64-bit, which had been used for testing:
On both machines, Windows has been configured to use normal font size, i.e. DPI 100% (small), not middle, not high.
So this is not the source of the increased size of the inline rename edit box displayed by T.C. 8 beta.

[Update 2]

So what might be the reason? => Redoing the tests revealed this fault in the testing scenario:

On the Windows 2003 server, I had used my default wincmd.ini thus instructing T.C. to use the font "Segoe UI 9" inside the file panels, a font which does not exist on Windows 2003 by default. - All occurences of "Segoe UI" in wincmd.ini have been replaced by "Tahoma", a font which does exist.
No such configuration flaw existed in the wincmd.ini used on the Server 2008 R2, because Segoe UI does exist here.

Now the results of the repeated tests are more in line with similar display differences between T.C. 8 64-bit and T.C. 8 32-bit which have been reported for beta1:

On both, Windows 2003 Std SP2 64-bit and Server 2008 R2, the Total Commander 8.0 beta1 32-bit inline rename edit box looks the same as the Total Commander 7.56a inline rename edit box. I cannot detect any difference. The box does not cover the filename below.

On both, Windows 2003 Std SP2 64-bit and Server 2008 R2, the Total Commander 8.0 beta1 64-bit inline rename edit box exhibits a slightly different behaviour from the Total Commander 7.56a inline rename edit box:
The filename slips right by almost 1 character. The box is higher thus covering almost the upper half of the filename below.

Summary:

This seems to be one more example where the 64-bit T.C. version looks a little bit different from the 32-bit version.
So far I can reproduce this only on two 64-bit Windows versions which both have been configured to use classic theme.

My Windows 7 64-bit using Aero theme, transparency switched off, plus T.C. 8.0 beta1 64-bit simply refuse to exhibit the same behaviour. The inline rename edit box looks ok. :wink:

[Corrected 25-09-2011]
On Windows 7 64-bit using Aero theme, transparency switched off, plus T.C. 8.0 beta1 64-bit and T.C 8.0 beta2 64-bit, the inline rename box is a little bit higher than in the 32-bit T.C. versions. It partially covers the filename below the edit box. The filename is moved right by almost 1 letter.
In short words on all 64-bit Windows versions which I have got access to the described difference between T.C. 8 32-bit and T.C. 8 64-bit is reproducible, irrespective of the used Windows theme.
[Corrected End]

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2011-09-24, 23:02 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hi Christian,

No, just using the normal 100% fonts here (no high DPI).

Regards,

romulous
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I had used my default wincmd.ini thus instructing T.C. to use the font "Segoe UI 9" inside the file panels, a font which does not exist on Windows 2003 by default.
I see - Windows will use font substitution in this case, so you may have got a font with large spacing between the letters...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Not sure what is going on here then - both TC v8 and TC 7.56a are running on the same PC, under the same Windows installation and use exactly the same fonts :(
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, romulous.

Christian's remark on font substitution was not addressed to you, but only to me, because before correcting the mistake I had instructed T.C. 8 beta to use Segoe UI on Windows 2003 which is does not exist by default. This had caused extra display problem which disappeared after telling T.C. to use an existing font. => post above

Cheers,
Karl
romulous

Post by *romulous »

@karlchen - Thanks for the clarification.

Here is an image of the fonts I use in TC (same in both 7.56a and 8.00 Beta 2):

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5431/snap007k.png

Maybe using the same ones might help someone else to reproduce it?
Laszlo

Post by *Laszlo »

I can confirm this. Same gap with rename.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6692/unled1gm.jpg

Total Commander x64 8.0 beta 2, using Tahoma,10 fonts, DPI 100%.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, folks.

By now I, too, have realized that on Windows 7 64-bit in general the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit of T.C. 8 has been present since beta1 and is still present in beta2, no change. (I had thought only classic themes were affected, wrong)

Just to have all versions at a single glance, here is an image which illustrates the inline rename edit boxes as they are displayed on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit with Aero theme on, but transparency off, by
+ T.C 7.56a
+ T.C 8.0ß2 32-bit
+ T.C 8.0ß2 64-bit
+ T.C 8.0ß1 64-bit
The image is a little bit blurred, because it has been zoomed to 150% of the original size so that the differences should be more obvious.

From my perspective this is a minor display issue only which does not affect usability. Hence I can live with the difference.

Cheers,
Karl
--
P.S. about the used fonts:
Total Commander:
FontSize=9
FontName=Segoe UI
FontSizeWindow=8
FontNameWindow=Segoe UI
FontWeight=700
FontWeightWindow=700
FontNameDialog=Tahoma

Windows DPI: 100%
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Yup - minor, just visually distracting when you have used TC so long to know how it has visually behaved forever :)

romulous