Shift-drag (move) files moves more files than selected

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nanbawan

Shift-drag (move) files moves more files than selected

Post by *nanbawan »

Versions affected:
This behavior is present in 8.00beta7 (32-bit) and 8.00beta8 (32-bit), absent in 7.56a and earlier versions.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Highlight (select) one or more files for a copy/move operation.
2. Move the cursor outside the selection. (This happens automatically if the option is set to advance the cursor on file selection with the space bar.)
3. Press Shift, *then* begin dragging the selection using the mouse to the other side.
4. Observe that more files are moved than originally selected; namely, the files between the selection and the cursor position are added to the set and moved.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

apart from the fact i dont understand why someone use mouse & keyboard in that way its confirmed :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think reason is that TC adds group to selection when you do Shift+Click (add group to selection), and then drags new selection.

Past versions incorrectly processed Shift+Click if clicked file was already selected (they did nothing instead).

Why do you press Shift before dragging? You should just drag files and hold Shift then.
nanbawan

Post by *nanbawan »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:apart from the fact i dont understand why someone use mouse & keyboard in that way its confirmed :!:
MVV wrote:I think reason is that TC adds group to selection when you do Shift+Click (add group to selection), and then drags new selection.

Past versions incorrectly processed Shift+Click if clicked file was already selected (they did nothing instead).

Why do you press Shift before dragging? You should just drag files.
Haha, yes, why would anybody do such a thing? :D I have a TouchStream keyboard (sorry, can't post a link yet... newbie... but look it up if curious) that makes it extremely easy to select and shift-drag using only two multitouch gestures, so I do this particular combination of TC actions to move files all the time, and therefore noticed the bug within a few minutes of updating to 8.00beta.

Shift-drag is move while drag is copy, therefore not interchangeable.

Most importantly, I don't believe that the new behavior is what one might reasonably expect. For example: Select files 1 and 2, place the cursor/focus at file 20 to make the effect very obvious. Now press shift and begin dragging file 1. This adds files 3-20 to the set even though I haven't clicked anywhere near file 20 when beginning to drag what I thought would be currently highlighted files 1 and 2. Counterintuitive.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You click first file, hold Shift and click second file to select group. So you should put cursor onto file 20 and then do Shift+Click on file 1 to select files 1-20. Quite expected behaviour.

When you wish to drag, you begin drag and then hold Shift to move. Standard behaviour.

It seems that TC should detect if user wants to click or to drag file: if user does a click (quickly releases mouse button), TC should select group, but if user starts dragging a file, TC shouldn't select it...
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Shift-drag (move) files moves more files than selected

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, nanbawan.
nanbawan wrote:This behavior is present in 8.00beta7 (32-bit) and 8.00beta8 (32-bit), absent in 7.56a and earlier versions.
I can reproduce the behaviour which you explain folowwing the given steps.

I cannot confirm that T.C. 8.0 beta introduced this behaviour. I get exactly the same behaviour using T.C. 7.56a.

You mark 5 files.
The cursor is on file #6.
You hold the shift key, klick the left mouse button and start dragging.

The very moment that you do this all tested T.C. versions including T.C. 7.56a will mark the file under the cursor and will add it to the group of selected files.

Perhaps T.C. should really realize that you are not in "selecting files" mode any longer but in "about to drag and drop" mode.

As apparently it does not do so, I would strongly recommend to make sure the mouse pointer is inside the selected group of files and not outside when holding the shift key, klicking the left mouse button and starting to darg.

Cheers,
Karl
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

karlchen, reported behaviour occurs when you hold Shift and start dragging a file while another file (non-selected at all) is focused.

Code: Select all

28.09.11 Added: Also select range of files when Shift+Clicking on already selected file (32/64)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is not a bug. You need to press Shift AFTER starting the drag operation. Even in TC 7.x, holding down shift first would select some files, e.g. when nothing was selected and you Shift+Click on a different file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com