Future 64-bit TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

billym

Future 64-bit TC?

Post by *billym »

I know this is probably way to early to inquire of this but it doesn't hurt to ask hehe. Mr. Ghisler will you consider making a 64-bit version of Total Commander when 64-bit becomes more prevalent in the world? I'm going to build an Athlon 64 3200+ 1 MB L2 CACHE system soon. Microsoft has a pre-release trial of Windows XP 64-bit that supports this processor. I'm going to give it a try. Wondering if anyone has any experience with TC and 64-bit OS/CPU? Does the current TC work good in that environment. I think it will but currious to get feedback from anyone that has dealt with this already. If anything, I can install older 32-bit WinXP which Athlon 64 CPU fully supports as well.

Anyway, thank you for what I consider to be the best program ever written for an MS-Windows OS.

-Billym
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

Don't forget that he will also need a compatible compiler that supports 64 bit OS. And I think that will take some time before he can consider moving TC to the next OS.
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
RazerBack

Post by *RazerBack »

SPeller

Post by *SPeller »

It is a vely large question - will Borland make 64-bit Delphi compiler or not.
PS: Sorry for my english.
billym

Post by *billym »

Ok thank you all for your feed back. If Borland doesn't make a 64-bit Delphi compiler maybe in the future Free Pascal Compiler (FPC - http://www.freepascal.org/) team will add 64-bit Delphi support. Not sure if Christian can use that as an alternative or not. It is supposed to support Delphi but the gui is rather "DOS-like." Yes I know it is Win32 hehe.

-Billym
Clo

No bracket---

Post by *Clo »

2billym
:)  Hi!
• Quite interesting! But please, could you remove the bracket in the link ?
It causes an Error 404 :wink:

:mrgreen: K R
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
billym

Post by *billym »

Ok sorry hehe. The compiler is free and based on older Borland Turbo Pascal v7 but it has newer features and Delphi support. Here is the link not in brackets: http://www.freepascal.org/ Years ago I loved Borland's GUI/IDE for it but I wish FPC had a "modern" windows like gui. But that wouldn't be as portable I think. Anyway it is worth a look at.

-Billym
Reva

Post by *Reva »

billym wrote:Ok sorry hehe. The compiler is free and based on older Borland Turbo Pascal v7 but it has newer features and Delphi support. Here is the link not in brackets: http://www.freepascal.org/ Years ago I loved Borland's GUI/IDE for it but I wish FPC had a "modern" windows like gui. But that wouldn't be as portable I think. Anyway it is worth a look at.

-Billym
Check http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=StaticPage&file=index&sURL=about
billym

Post by *billym »

Cool! It will be a few days or so before I can download and check it out. The screenshots for the Linux version looks nice though. I am currently downloading the Windows XP 64-bit trial in preperation for my new computer. I'm thinking of dual booting that with Linux Mandrake but looks like they only have the 32-bit version available for download. Looks like 64-bit one has to be ordered from them. Anyway, thank you for the information.

-Billym
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

64-bit Windows can also run 32-bit programs. For a file manager, the speed difference will not be very big, so there should be no real disadvantage to use TC 32-bit...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Borland posts a roadmap for Delphi, and 'Delphi for win64' is promised in 2007. Here is a blog entry about it.
Ghisler can release a special 64bit version than :)
Clas Hortien

Post by *Clas Hortien »

Hello,

the biggest problem we see under 64bit (x64) is, that the 32bit application totalcmd will start it's clients in an 32bit environment.
So if you start a cmd in the commandline the 32bit cmd.exe will be used and the SysWow64 directory is than the system directory. Even if you specify the full path to the 64bit cmd.exe the 32bit version will be used, as the OS redirects the access (from a 32bit app) to the 32bit cmd.
If it is not possible to build a 64bit TC, we can't used under x64.

Regards

Clas
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Borland posts a roadmap for Delphi, and 'Delphi for win64' is promised in 2007.
I'm just afraid what kind of code will generate this IDE. As you know, Christian still uses Delphi 2.0 (and 1.0 for 16-bit version) because the newer versions generate very large and slow code...
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Flint wrote:
Borland posts a roadmap for Delphi, and 'Delphi for win64' is promised in 2007.
I'm just afraid what kind of code will generate this IDE. As you know, Christian still uses Delphi 2.0 (and 1.0 for 16-bit version) because the newer versions generate very large and slow code...
It can be a special 64bit edition for those who want it (if it is possible at all to migrate the project from Delphi 2 to future Delphi 2007).
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

poiuytr wrote:if it is possible at all to migrate the project from Delphi 2 to future Delphi 2007.
Why should anbody want this? for bloating the exe-file up ? :lol:
Hoecker sie sind raus!