+[8.51] Tab missing source

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

krasusczak

+[8.51] Tab missing source

Post by *krasusczak »

Hi, I have found something like this:

1. Connect to your computer USB Drive
2. left tab open at d:\xx\xx (everything except c:)
3. right tab open at connected usb drive
4. Put your computer in to hibernation
5. Disconnect USB Drive
6. Un-Hibernate = Run computer

now not only right tab gonna go to c: but left tab gonna get c: src with list files from d:\xx\xx & information that this files not exist when you try run it

Funny Thing:D
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

NOT confirmed, the left side remains unchanged here. I followed your steps above.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm the bug, but the left side has to be opened in a TAB - either one of several tabs or only one tab but "Show tab header also when there is only one tab" is selected.

See: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/wrongtabheader2.png

Also tested with clean ini files.

It happens both when returning from hibernation or just from standy (sleep).

EDIT: It only seem to happen under Windows XP, I can not make it happen with neither Windows 7 nor Windows 8.1 (32bit and 64bit TC 8.51).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, not confirmed, I have multiple open tabs.
It only seem to happen under Windows XP
Ah, I see - I only tested on Windows 7, didn't expect any differences. I'm not sure whether I should spend much time on XP bugs now that it is out of support...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

AFAIK XP is still used by 45% in for example several Asian countries.

I, for example have a perfectly well performing 3GHz XP computer, but it cannot be upgraded to Windows 8 according to Microsofts Windows8-UpgradeAssistant.exe, so I am sticking with XP on that computer. Changed to Avast in stead of MS Security Essentials though.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

yea basically it's not mater of support or not supported by m$ because there is completely no chance to my little notebook & some other computers can handle windows vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 in any "normal" way..

many people just don't have money to change pc every m$ os change :/

xp is still probably 2nd most popular os :P

& i really don't see any sense of changing for new os, xp works perfect if you know how to configure it:)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have tried it now on XP, but I do not get the problem there either!

I assume that you mean the following with hibernation: Choose "Start", then Shift+Click on "Turn off Computer", then the leftmost button (Sorry,my PC uses German Windows, and the option is missing under VMWare).

After hibernating (suspend to disk) and restarting, the left side and tab are unchanged, and the right side has switched to C:\.

Maybe it's a settings problem? I tried it with my own settings and a fresh wincmd.ini, no problems at all. Could you send me your wincmd.ini to support at ghisler dot com, please?
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

I'm using Fn + F12 to suspend computer, hdd off, everything off only data is stored in pagefiles/RAM with lowest W consumption

Basically to get this error you need to do like this:

I have only one tab (main tab left/right)
so on left i go to d:\something\something
on right i go to k:\ (usb drive)
after Fn+F12 i disconnect USB & run computer
Then i get info that sorry no pen// right gonna go to c: drive fully, left gonna stay with list of files from d:\something\something & "c:" src..

But this is only "temporary" after you run pc & you have tcm as main/first window, because when you for ex. change window to firefox & change back to tcm, tcm gonna refresh & get fully c:\ on the left side also

The other thing is going if we gonna replace tab/USB so you gonna open at left tab USB drive then you open on the right d:\something\something in this configuration you will get different result
after run pc both tabs gonna get c:\ instantly
so it's better but i still don't understand why right tab also get c:\...

p.s Christian because of the specification of the problem probably you will not be able to reproduce it in VMWare, because virtualization probably refresh tab instantly like with changing windows so you don't get this bug

@Edit!:
ahahaha this is very funny ahahahah

One more you need to do...
I have password on my xp so after run it i need to provide it
& this is this "funny" thing

when i provide password asap after run pc i gonna get information about no pendrive & bug, but if i'm gonna wait longer time with password like 10 sec i'm not gonna get information about no USB & no bug ;P

Probably after such long time os realize that there is no usb & tcm don't signal this??

@edit2:
Wow! there is another rule ahahaha!
Even when i'm gonna fast provide password & logon i can & can't get this bug!
Why? because if i gonna fast provide password & fast click ok or abort on information about no pendrive i'm not gonna get this bug

but:

if i gonna fast provide password & wait with click ok or abord on inforation about no pendrive i'm gonna get this bug!

Soo i can assume that bug create itself after some time after you run pc, os send info to tcm, or tcm realize itself that there is no USB & after this time it gonna refresh src of tabs to c:\
but if you're enough fast to provide pass & click you will not get bug:/

yea i know that is "little" complicated but i try my best to describe it ;)

@edit3:
i have tested this more & now i can process this bug without hibernate & even on windows 7/32

just:
1. get left tab on d:\something\something
2. fast connect usb drive
3. very fast choose for right tab usb drive
4. very fast disconnect usb drive/before usb will fully initialized

you gonna have info that there is no usb & tab src crash, this way works in both tabs so:

1. get right tab on d:\something\something
3. very fast choose for left tab usb drive

:)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't understand. How can you do 3 when the drive isn't fully initialized yet? The drive letter only appears when the drive is inserted, and when the letter appears, the drive is already fully initialized.

Or do you mean a card reader where you insert a card (drive letter remains when card isn't there)?
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand. How can you do 3 when the drive isn't fully initialized yet? The drive letter only appears when the drive is inserted, and when the letter appears, the drive is already fully initialized.

Or do you mean a card reader where you insert a card (drive letter remains when card isn't there)?

nop sorry not fully initialized, a little before:) (at least on my pc if i gonna do this enough quickly i can reproduce this)

This way is just a way to see this bug but in normal work is almost impossible to generate, on XP with sleep mode is normal behaviour

i didn't try it on card reader maybe it can be done but probably not if device is connected but with no card
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I tried it with my own settings and a fresh wincmd.ini, no problems at all. Could you send me your wincmd.ini
As I wrote I can reproduce it with a clean ini file.

Here is what I do:
1. Enable "Show tab header also when there is only one tab".
2. In the left panel open d:\ (or any other harddisk than c:\)
3. In the right panel open a USB-stick
4. Click on Windows Start button and choose "Close the computer".
5. In XP Home* you will see 3 buttons - yellow, red and green. Here the Yellow button is marked "Standby"
6. If hibernation is enabled you can press down the Shift key and "Standby" is replaced with "Hibernate", but try Standby if Hibernate is not available - I can reproduce it in both modes.
7. Wait until the computer is either hibernating or in standby and now pull put the USB stick.
8. Wake up the computer again. Now you should see something like http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/wrongtabheader2.png - the tab header might show d: for a few seconds, but after some error beeps it turns to c:

* IIRC it is a dropdown list in Windows XP Professional.

As you se in Windows XP, I get the "ERROR! - Drive not found!" If I do the same under Windows 7 or 8.1, I do not get this error dialog - the content of the right panel is simply just changed to c:\ after a little while.
License #524 (1994)
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

petermad wrote:8. Wake up the computer again. Now you should see something like http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/wrongtabheader2.png - the tab header might show d: for a few seconds, but after some error beeps it turns to c:

petermad can you try click ok or abort as soon you can before it still shown d:\, if you do this before it, it should be without bug :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, after much debugging, I found a much easier way to reproduce it:

1. Drag any directory to an empty space in the button bar
2. Right click on the new button, change command to:
cd x:\
with "x" a drive which does not exist
3. Make sure the right panel is active
4. Click on the button -> drive error dialog <- do not close it!
5. Insert or remove flash drive -> left side goes to c:

Please check your mail for a test version which should fix the problem. Please try it with your steps above, not mine.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

petermad can you try click ok or abort as soon you can before it still shown d:\, if you do this before it, it should be without bug
Not really, because my screen is so slow turning on that I cannot see whats going on - I can only hear the beeps, and for a split-second see the d:\ before it changes into c:\ - but I will try an do it blind...

EDIT:
Yes, if I press escape when I hear the first error beep, the bug is gone.
Last edited by petermad on 2014-04-29, 22:55 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1. Drag any directory to an empty space in the button bar
2. Right click on the new button, change command to:
cd x:\
with "x" a drive which does not exist
3. Make sure the right panel is active
4. Click on the button -> drive error dialog <- do not close it!
5. Insert or remove flash drive -> left side goes to c:
Confirmed.

Also confirmed fixed with the private version of totalcmd.exe you've send me :-)
License #524 (1994)