Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

TC8.0x64 Access Violation on CAB Files under Ubuntu 12.04x64

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, folks.

Preface:
I know that Total Commander is a Windows software. Therefore an access violation experienced on Ubuntu 12.0x64 and Wine 1.4 x86_x64 will only be relevant to a small minority of T.C. users and have a really low priority.
Nonetheless, I thought it may worth reporting the access violation, even if it turns out that the source of trouble is within Ubuntu/Wine exclusively.

Prerequisites:
  • Ubuntu 12.04 x64 "Precise Pangolin", available updates installed
  • Wine 1.4 x86_x64 installed
  • Total Commander 8.0 x86 / x64 installed
  • One or two arbitrary CAB-files.
    I used pspad_de_dic.cab (PSPad German dictionary) and the INSTALL.CAB extracted from the T.C. installation package tcm801x32_64_rc1.exe.
How to reproduce:
  1. Launch Total Commander 8.0 x64
  2. Navigate to the CAB-file
  3. Try to open the file install.cab using <ctrl><pgdn> or by double-clicking it.
  4. This is the moment where you will be presented the access violation screen here: TC8.0x64_stacktrace_2012-06-23_152636.png
    Sorry for the screenshot. Pressing <Ctrl>C does not copy anything into the clipboard in this situation on Ubuntu/Wine. This little nuisance is reproducible as well.
  5. You may press [YES] to continue using T.C. and T.C. will continue normally.
  6. If you dare repeat step 5., however, the mouse cursor will turn into the hourglass icon for a while. The CAB file will not be opened. Nothing really happens. Once the mouse cursor has returned to its normal arrow shape, you can go on using T.C. But you will not be able to open the CAB-file.
Conclusion:
On Ubuntu 12.04 x64 plus Wine 1.4 x86_x64 cab-extraction will trigger an access violation. CAB-files currently cannot be inspected or extracted.

Workaround:
On the said platform, use Total Commander 8.0 x86 instead. It will open CAB-files without any problems.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

CAB isn't handled by TC itself, it's done by a Windows dll, "cabinet.dll". Apparently there is a bug in that dll on Wine.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Solved: TC8.0x64 Access Violation on CAB Files on Ubuntu x64

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

Thanks for this piece of information about cabinet.dll. - Will check whether making Wine use a genuine Windows cabinet.dll instead of the one it brings along itself will help.

<Added 26-06-2012 00:45>

It looks as if putting the appropriate 2 genuine cabinet.dll files into the Wine folders
+ ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and
+ ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64
and telling Wine to use them instead of the Wine DLLs
has solved the problem affecting Total Commander 8.0(1) x64,
without negatively affecting Total Commander 8.0(1) x86. :D

Note:
Before anybody starts accusing me of breaking any MS EULA, let me state this:
This machine is a dual boot machine. The primary system is a genuine Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64, for which I own the license.
The second system is Ubuntu 12.04 x64, where I put 2 of the Win 7 DLL files.
So I do hope I am on the legal side of the MS EULA.

</Added 26-06-2012 00:45>

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song