Weird LAN plugin errors

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cheeseus

Weird LAN plugin errors

Post by *cheeseus »

Hello,

I have just stumbled upon a most extraordinary error / set of errors that occurred all of a sudden.

I use the LAN plugin on my phone (ICS / Windows 7 x64) almost every day. In fact, today, before I got this error, I had already successfully used it 4-5 times to transfer files...

Half an hour after the last successful attempt, when I tried to establish LAN connection to my PC, at first there'd be a long period of "thinking"... even after one minute of waiting, it wouldn't connect.

Reboot the phone. Try to connect. Error: "Plain text passwords are disabled." Did some reading, found the Windows setting (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > MS network client: send unencrypted password to 3rd party SMB servers > ENABLE). Reboot PC, reboot phone. Connection successful!

5 minutes later -- again no connection. Download the latest beta of TCAndroid, installed it, ran it - connection successful.

5 more minutes later - trying to connect I get this error: "Error connecting to server. Error reported: 0xC000009A".

Rebooted phone. Tried to connect: "Plain text passwords are disabled". (But they aren't any more?)

Meanwhile, I can connect just fine to the laptop (again Win 7 x64 Ultimate, plain text passwords there are NOT enabled").

No idea what to do... Help please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like connection problems, e.g. a strong neighbor WiFi or Bluetooth signal interfering with your LAN access. Plain text passwords are not needed, the plugin supports the protected NTLM (NT Lan manager) authentication. Plain text authentication is only used when other methods fail.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
NickB

Post by *NickB »

Hi,

I've recently started experiencing the same problem with my Galaxy S3 running Jelly Bean and my PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

However, I can still connect every time from my S3 to my Netbook (which is running Windows 7 Starter 32bit).

My PC is wired to my router and my S3 and Netbook are both on WiFi (with a strong signal).

The network share definitions are the same for each machine (connecting to c$ on both and also some additional shares on the PC), ie: same username, password, etc. I have also rebooted my S3 and PC and cleared down the application cache on my S3.

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated.

Nick
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

My WiFi router has options "isolate clients" and "isolate networks". The prevents computers in the WiFi network from seing each other. The second prevents computers in the WiFi network from connecting to computers on the Ethernet, and vice versa. Please check whether your router has similar configuration options. They are meant to prevent guests from accessing the home network.
NickB

Post by *NickB »

Thanks for your fast reply. I've looked through my router configuration and can't find any options like the ones you mention. I find it strange that I was previously able to connect without any problems. The only change since then has been the addition of a DAS drive (where I have set some of the folders up to be shared), however there were no changes to the permissions, etc on the c$ share and I am sometimes able to access the new shares. I've also checked my firewall and event logs, there don't appre to be any messages related to this problem and I've also temporarily turned off my firewall in order to rule that our as a possible cause.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have just made a Google search for your specific error code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22jcifs%22+%220xC000009A%22&ie=UTF-8

I found the following:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9317300/jcifs-smbexception

Please read this, it may apply to your case too.
NickB

Post by *NickB »

Making the registry changes detailed in the article that you mentioned seems to have solved the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

For anyone else who reads this thread, the changes that the article mentions are:

Set the following registry key to ’1′:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

and set the following registry key to ’3′:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size

Full details are in the article though.
Phred

Not So Much

Post by *Phred »

I believe I should relate my experience wrt this error message from Android because, while I managed to solve the problem, it wasn't by way of the answer that has been given/pointed to here.

After many successful months of running a new Android tablet on my 'Windows' LAN - Win7, Vista, XP machines on a non-Simple LAN - and without doing anything in particular to the setup, my tablet (with TC and LAN add-on) began failing to access a Win7 machine. The Win7 machine was impervious, to Android.

All that I could think of that might have been different was that I had been swapping the boot/system disk in the case from Win7Ult32 to a Win8Pro64 disk, each accessing second and third disks carrying data files.
Upon physical exchange back to the Win7 disk, the boot process said that the data disks 'had changed' and that they needed examination before booting should proceed. Knowing that nothing in particular had happened to the secondary disk, I ignored the warning. Subsequently, Android was unable to access the machine, with the 'plain text' error message.

Eventually I rebooted the Win7 box and allowed the system to check the other disks. Away it went, and up came the Win7 system. I tried Android access: success!
I may not have solved the problem, but the symptoms went away.

It's happened again since, but it recovered spontaneously. Reboots? Can't remember..
I advise: before delving into registry keys and making black-art entries of unknown consequence, close down your machines, restart, and try again. Do a cold close with Android too, then start up afresh.
FYI.
Ebbi

Post by *Ebbi »

I also have this problem sometimes.
And I just restart the "Server" service on Windows, then it works again.
bartgrefte

Post by *bartgrefte »

I just ran into the same problem, 0xC000009A on two Android devices (ICS and Lollipop) when trying to access a shared folder on a computer running Windows 7 (x64). While at the same time, I can access it just fine using a(n other) Windows client.
Ebbi wrote:I also have this problem sometimes.
And I just restart the "Server" service on Windows, then it works again.
Tried that, now TC gives the error "incorrect function".

Then I Googled the registry keys NickB mentioned, I came across http://www.speedguide.net/articles/lan-tweaks-for-windows-7-8-10-5819 The error-/event-id that is mentioned there (Event ID: 2017), is mentioned quite a bit in eventvwr.

So I changed both reg-keys, did a reboot and now I'm still getting the "incorrect function" error.

Then I reinstalled TC + LAN-plugin on both devices: Problem solved :?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reinstallation removed the program from memory, so any old cached connections were deleted.
bartgrefte

Post by *bartgrefte »

But does that explain the "incorrect function" error?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

"incorrect function" is a bug reported by the server. For example, it can happen when the server only supports SMB2, while the plugin only supports SMB1.
bartgrefte

Post by *bartgrefte »

ghisler(Author) wrote:"incorrect function" is a bug reported by the server. For example, it can happen when the server only supports SMB2, while the plugin only supports SMB1.
But I never had that error before, so what could've caused it which was solved by reinstalling TC?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, according to the link you posted, the server reached the limit of connections at the same time. You fixed that, but the failed connections were still cached in the LAN plugin. Normally just unloading the plugin should fix that, e.g. by opening a different plugin in the same TC panel. But reinstalling the LAN plugin will do the same.