A PROGRAM to create a setup for each plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

One of my pet peeves with installers like is that I cannot see what it contains and read the readme file before installing. So I am not a fan of this type of installer. I don't really like automatic anything (maybe I'm the odd American).

Is there an unpacker that I can use with TC (ctrl-pgdn) that would let me see the contents? Nothing I had installed seemed to work.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2Jon Canale
Good idea, Fabio myabe you will create at once plugin for unpacking such created self-installing plugins :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Lopette

why not do...

Post by *Lopette »

instead of a program to create executables to install plugins - which would require many options to satisfy everybody

Had I done this, I would have probably tried to use a system similar to that used with phpBB plugins (this forum). Theses guys decided of a format for human- and machine-understandable instructions, and that wuold probably apply very well to TC plugins. Even still in .zip .tar or .. format. And those who still want to install them manually (or if the "installer" fails) , well they can.
Stress : the confusion created when
one's mind overrides the body's natural
urge to beat the living daylight out of
some jerk who desperately deserves it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please don't spend too much time on this! The next version of TC will support a very simple way to install plugins: When the plugin archive (zip, rar, whatever packer is supported) contains a special file, TC will ask the user to install the plugin when he opens the archive with enter. When the user clicks yes, TC will suggest a target dir, then copy the files there and add the plugins to the list. I have already implemented this now for
- packer plugins
- file system plugins
- lister plugins
- language files
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Please don't spend too much time on this! The next version of TC will support a very simple way to install plugins: When the plugin archive (zip, rar, whatever packer is supported) contains a special file, TC will ask the user to install the plugin when he opens the archive with enter. When the user clicks yes, TC will suggest a target dir, then copy the files there and add the plugins to the list. I have already implemented this now for
- packer plugins
- file system plugins
- lister plugins
- language files
Sounds good in general. Just one point to think about. All my plugins are installed in a subpath of Total Commander. I'm normally working as a restricted user. When I now use this new feature will there be a way to enter a password and copy the plugin files as a diffrent user? You know it's possible!
Ah one more point I would be fine to support "Addons" as well. Maybe including a special file will start the process or something like that. Of course a addon plugin would be even nicer...
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:- packer plugins
- file system plugins
- lister plugins
- language files
Can (will) this list also include menu files Christian?

Is that implied by the “language files”? If not, is it easy to have the ability to install menu files also under the new scheme in development?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, lng+mnu files are installed together. Or do you mean mnu files alone?

Btw, this solution was chosen for backwards compatibility: The download files are still normal zip or rar archives, so the plugins can still be installed manually (in older versions, or other programs using TC plugins).
When I now use this new feature will there be a way to enter a password and copy the plugin files as a diffrent user? You know it's possible!
I think that this would be too much work for too little gain. It would mean to start a separate process as a different user, tell it to unpack the file, wait for the results etc.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I think that this would be too much work for too little gain.
Well the new "install plugin feature" should be a simplication and more comfort for the user. Without "run as copying" it's not easier than before it's just useless :-(
Don't you work as a registered user too?
It would mean to start a separate process as a different user
No that's not true. Don't you remember http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1838
All you have to do is:
1. Try to write the file -> if Access denied
2. Ask the user to enter username/password
3. LogonUser
4. Copy all required files
5. RevertToSelf

See above mentioned thread for a working sample.

All is within the same thread!

Another suggestion for the new feature. A standard plugin path (which is stored in the INI file) could make plugin installing even easier.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2ghisler(Author)

I to would be nice to have new parametrers:

1. during installation use %commander_path% instead of full path.

2. schema for installation folders for plugins (separately for each type of plugins), eg.:
- %commander_path%\Plugins\Lister\%Plugin_name%\
- %commander_path%\Plugins\FileSystem\%Plugin_name%\
- %commander_path%\Plugins\Packer\%Plugin_name%\
where %plugin_name is of course folder with the name of plugin. Of course it could be only suggested location and the user could it still change.

I'm sure many users use similar ways of sorting installed plugins and they also would be happy having such an option.

Will the mentioned "special file" include any information about the plugin? I mean:
- it's name
- version
- readme (it sometimes useful when you have to do some manual things - copy additional libraries, install additional software, etc)
- language files (it could install automatically proper language version if it exists).
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Lopette

Post by *Lopette »

djk's right.

I used to sort all my software very cleanly for some time (no need to say I got tired of it), and I still greatly appreciate if software programmers use a good logic for such things.

...and I just dreamt of some sort of

Code: Select all

apt-get install some_plugin
maybe I want too much, but that's another thing I got addicted to (besite TC :-)
Stress : the confusion created when
one's mind overrides the body's natural
urge to beat the living daylight out of
some jerk who desperately deserves it.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, lng+mnu files are installed together. Or do you mean mnu files alone?
Now I’m confused! So, if a menu file has not a corresponding language file implemented but by default is using the default one how will the new installation method work? So, to answer your question Christian; I did mean mnu files alone.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, admin copy - I didn't think about this. Should be no problem to add.

2pdavit
I will add a method for mnu files alone too.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Ah, admin copy - I didn't think about this. Should be no problem to add.
Thanks a lot!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I will add a method for mnu files alone too.
Great! Thanks!
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Ghisler wrote:When the plugin archive (zip, rar, whatever packer is supported) contains a special file...
Sorry!, as you say, this is already done, but what about a new extension associated with TotalCmd, being a packed file with renamed extension, so you don't have to search for a special file?

Greetings.
CoMiKe