Please make help file available for download

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Artist

Post by *Artist »

Hi all!

Yes, it would be very nice to be able to read the help file on a computer screen while exploring and navigating the new Android TC interface on the device itself.

I wanted to copy the html help file to my PC, but it seems it is either well hidden or built-in in the program. Anyway, I haven't yet managed to find it, either by browsing or by using the TC search function.

I have used TC on Win from the beginning of time but for new Android users like me the interface is somewhat cryptic. Besides, pressing unknown buttons blindly in a file manager feels a bit uncomfortable. One is afraid of doing damage to some thing or other, accidentally deleting or moving files around.

Being TC/Android freeware I can't think of a reason why the help file shouldn't be available on the download page. Am I wrong?
est modus in rebus
(License #: 3886)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Please make help file available for download

Post by *white »

Artist wrote:I wanted to copy the html help file to my PC, but it seems it is either well hidden or built-in in the program. Anyway, I haven't yet managed to find it, either by browsing or by using the TC search function.
Simply download the program to your PC. Unpack it and look in the "assets" folder.
Artist

Post by *Artist »

Thanks white!

I had no idea one could unpack a .apk file! It proves how behind I am in all things new. I am not alone, though, and I think your kind answer will be useful to many.

One more thing I don't know is how to change the references to the button icons in the .htm help file, so that the buttons will show up with the relevant text. In the .htm code of the unpacked help file they are like:

src="file:///android_asset/img/icon.png".

How do I change that, provided I have "help.htm" and directory "img" in folder "Android TC Help" om my PC?

Thanks in advance for help on this "trivial" matter! :D
est modus in rebus
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Please make help file available for download

Post by *white »

Artist wrote:I had no idea one could unpack a .apk file! It proves how behind I am in all things new. I am not alone, though, and I think your kind answer will be useful to many.
You can always try if a file is an archive by using Alt+Shift+F9 (Test archive) or Ctrl+PgDn (cm_GoToDir). You can also use this on a self-extracting archive.
Artist wrote:In the .htm code of the unpacked help file they are like:

src="file:///android_asset/img/icon.png".

How do I change that, provided I have "help.htm" and directory "img" in folder "Android TC Help" om my PC?
In HTML language you can use relative paths. So simply delete "file:///android_asset/" from the path.
Artist

Post by *Artist »

Thanks again white! Smooth as smooth velvet. Great! :D
est modus in rebus