Completely lost on file transfer

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

damascus

Completely lost on file transfer

Post by *damascus »

I have a Nexus 7 with an OTG cable, a USB drive and something called USB Stick Plugin. When I choose USB Stick Plugin, I can see both my USB drive and Nexus HD on Total Commander. As I have Windows XP and can't copy files to the Nexus, I needed a way to do it. I want to move a file from the USB drive to the download directory of my Nexus. I tap USB Stick Plugin and see the file. How do I get it to the right side of the screen where the download directory is? When I tap on it, I get the choices of Play, Play + Open With, or Download + Edit. If I long-press, I get a few others, with the only one appearing to be helpful labeled "cut (or copy) to clipboard." When I try to paste, it says I can only copy one way, that is TO the USB drive. That's useless for me. Any way I can get information onto my Nexus?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Tap on the icon to select the file, and then on the blue copy button to copy the files to the other panel. Or use long tap - copy - long tap - paste.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
damascus

Post by *damascus »

I don't see how I can do this. When I tap on the icon, which is an mp4 file, I get a menu that asks me how I want to open it. All of the icons, including the copy icon, are greyed out and unavailable. If I long press on the mp4 file, I get an extended menu which has copy to clipboard as the only copy function. But I cannot get that to paste onto the Nexus download folder. The only way I have been able to successfully transfer the files is to download and play and then go to the temporary file and copy it from there.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You did not tap on the file icon, but on the file NAME!

Total Commander makes a difference where you tap. If you tap on the icon, the file will be selected/unselected. If you tap on the rest of the line, the file will be opened. If you long tap on the rest of the name, you will get the context menu.
damascus

Post by *damascus »

OK, I see the difference. I get a checkmark when I tap the icon, but I don't know which icon moves the file. I seem to have accidentally created an icon while pressing everything, how do I get rid of it?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

At the bottom, the one with the two sheets of paper and the arrow copies and moves files. You can hold down a finger on an icon for more than a second to see a short explanation.
damascus

Post by *damascus »

Sorry for the delay; didn't get the e-mail with your last note. Copy works as advertised, thank you for your assistance.