TC on rooted KitKat can write to / but not delete!

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That doesn't make sense to me - using that button and a user-defined button (separately from the actual command) does exactly the same...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
NoSubstitute

Post by *NoSubstitute »

That isn't at all the problem.

The problem is that when trying to create a dir (through the menu in TC) in a write-protected dir (like /root), I am asked if I want to remount to rw. I say yes and I am allowed to create the dir.

When I try to remove that same dir, through the Remove button in TC, I am not asked about remounting, and then the rmdir of course is denied!

With mkdir-menuitem in TC it is done automatically, with rm-button rmdir is never allowed, because it is not an su-command!

I can do the rmdir manually, with a homemade button, if I do the remount manually _first_ with your button. It's not interactive, like the mkdir-menuitem is.

Also, it seems the action to remove something has to be in the same session as the remount request. If I remount / as rw with terminal, I can only perform rm inside that session and if I remount inside TC, the rootfs isn't writeable in the terminal. It's obvious if you run the single command 'mount' in the terminal that / isn't rw for that session, unless you run the remount command inside the terminal.
TheByteSmasher

Post by *TheByteSmasher »

OK, this might be a dumb question but could these issues be because of the recent shift to selinux? I have found that no program allows me to delete an APK from /system/apps/ liked I used to be to with root access... I'm doing some research on selunix, but I don't remember total commander having issues before the selinux shift...
NoSubstitute

Post by *NoSubstitute »

No questions are ever dumb. :-)
Sadly, I don't know the answer.

Also, note that I edited my latest post, in the hope of making it it more clear.
TheByteSmasher

OK, so I started messing around with the selinux policy with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.selinux
Results: with selinux set to permissive - *I no longer have any root issues with TC* ... interestingly after I switched it back to enforcing, stuff still seemed to work....
TheByteSmasher

Bump?
rtheiss

Post by *rtheiss »

Since using the App SD Fix, deleting of files is working.
TheByteSmasher

rtheiss wrote:Since using the App SD Fix, deleting of files is working.
1. How does changing SD write permissions fix deleting off of root partition?
2. All of these are just workarounds, a native solution would be best
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

TheByteSmasher wrote:
2. All of these are just workarounds, a native solution would be best
then go complain to google the makers of this android mess...
TheByteSmasher

Sir_SiLvA wrote:then go complain to google the makers of this android mess...
None of this is complaining. This is a forum to find bugs and hopefully help squash them.

@Christian... has any of these workarounds given you any ideas?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

TheByteSmasher wrote:
None of this is complaining. This is a forum to find bugs and hopefully help squash them.
I perfectly understand what this forum is for but I also understand the difference between a bug and a SYSTEM RESTRICTION which can only be changed by GOOGLE...
TheByteSmasher

Sir_SiLvA wrote:I perfectly understand what this forum is for but I also understand the difference between a bug and a SYSTEM RESTRICTION which can only be changed by GOOGLE...
I'm glad you understand that. Let's not let this get off topic. The issue at hand, is not a problem in other file managers like CMFileManager (used as a standalone app, not in CM). I'm sure that since it works in other apps, but not in TC, you'll perfectly understand it as a big. Please, let's keep this on topic and not full of this flexing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, only preinstalled apps are allowed to write to the card - I guess that CMFileManager was preinstalled.
TheByteSmasher

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, only preinstalled apps are allowed to write to the card - I guess that CMFileManager was preinstalled.
The card?? I don't understand. We're talking about the root partition, not the sd card. and CMFileManager was not pre installed. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, wrong thread - I thought that you complained about the unwritable SD-Card on Android 4.4.

Regarding your root problems, I have no idea, sorry - it works just fine on my rooted Android 4.4 device (Nexus 7 2012). I guess that you will have to use a different tool to delete your files.