TC as a document management platform

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

superddman

TC as a document management platform

Post by *superddman »

Hello,

I think most will agree that with today's overload of digital information, there is a huge market for tools to help us with document management. I believe file managers naturally fall in this category since they are normally the first app we reach for to access our files and folders. IMO it just makes sense that TC should make that next step and add features that will give us better control of documents, namely:

1) Indexed search with powerful internal viewer - due to TC's strong plugin architecture, there are already add-ons that could be utilized to simplify this implementation. For instance, the uLister viewer which uses Oracle’s Outside In libraries (probably the most powerful viewer in the world). On top of this, integrating something like Apache Lucene indexer would make it a dream come true where the user could specify which folders to index and depending the current folder, it would just narrow search results to that location and display search keywords hits highlighted right in TC through uLister. Something similar to X1 Search but even with additional control.

2) Rich text editor – being able to take quick notes on the fly would be also part of this approach. Having ability to open multiple documents in editing mode in a series of tabs would greatly help with multitasking and noting information on the fly. Table and image support would be a big plus.

3) Tags - There is already another project that is trying to combine both worlds (file and document management) called TagSpaces. When it comes to tags, it has a similar approach to Evernote where you can easily prioritize and categorize files/folders. However, it is still early in the development and has many features missing.

Let me know what you think!
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

highend wrote:
I know that most would say that there are other products out there that are aimed at such audience
Nothing more to say...

Nothing more to say...

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC as a document management platform

Post by *Dalai »

superddman wrote:1) Indexed search with powerful internal viewer [...]
TC 9.0 is confirmed to include support for Everything. Regarding viewer: Everything is said to be easily integratable into TC (don't know if that's true since I don't use Everything), so you can then use the TC Lister plugins from the Everything search results.
2) Rich text editor
There are already numerous editors available, both paid and free. There are even some Lister plugins that can edit files (SynWrite for one). Both of them are very well integrated into TC. So I don't see any advantage of TC having another editor...
3) Tags
This has been discussed a couple of times. Short version: You can already use comments (Ctrl+Z) to have something like tags. Not quite tags, but close enough (IMO). You can use comments in the search, color your files based on them and so on.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
superddman

Post by *superddman »

Stefan2 wrote:
highend wrote:
I know that most would say that there are other products out there that are aimed at such audience
Nothing more to say...

Nothing more to say...

No matter where I propose this, same answer. It's like hitting a brick wall. LOL Lets be more open minded and think ahead, not in the past.

@Dalai: thanks for outlining some alternative methods. Doesn't Everything use only NTFS table and filters file/folder names, not document content?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

superddman wrote:Doesn't Everything use only NTFS table and filters file/folder names, not document content?
I don't know because I don't use it. There are some Everything users in this forum, though (Horst.Epp IIRC).

However, there are some other indexing programs that may search the document's contents as well. But, I don't recall their names. Maybe a search in the forum for "Everything" brings something up.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

superddman wrote:Doesn't Everything use only NTFS table and filters file/folder names, not document content?
Yes, it indexes only MFT and can search for file/pathname only.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

solid wrote:
Yes, it indexes only MFT and can search for file/pathname only.
No, thats wrong
Everything also indexes other file systems
with a feature called folder index.
Current beta version is 1.4 709b
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Yes, but that feature is not fast as master table indexing. It is regular file search and afaik not updated in real time. And content is not indexed.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC as a document management platform

Post by *Horst.Epp »

markquill wrote:
superddman wrote:Hello,

I think most will agree that with today's overload of digital information, there is a huge market for tools to help us with document management. I believe file managers naturally fall in this category since they are normally the first app we reach for to access our files and folders. IMO it just makes sense that TC should make that next step and add features that will give us better control of documents, namely:

1) Indexed search with powerful internal viewer - due to TC's strong plugin architecture, there are already add-ons that could be utilized to simplify this implementation. For instance, the uLister viewer which uses Oracle’s Outside In libraries (probably the most powerful viewer in the world). On top of this, integrating something like Apache Lucene indexer would make it a dream come true where the user could specify which folders to index and depending the current folder, it would just narrow search results to that location and display search keywords hits highlighted right in TC through uLister. Something similar to X1 Search but even with additional control.

2) Rich text editor – being able to take quick notes on the fly would be also part of this approach. Having ability to open multiple documents in editing mode in a series of tabs would greatly help with multitasking and noting information on the fly. Table and image support would be a big plus.

3) Tags - There is already another project that is trying to combine both worlds (file and document management) called TagSpaces. When it comes to tags, it has a similar approach to Evernote where you can easily prioritize and categorize files/folders. However, it is still early in the development and has many features missing.

Let me know what you think!
Hello,

I like to know what are the limitation of this TC software...
Don't feed the troll :(
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64