Problem with usb sticks

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

faser

Problem with usb sticks

Post by *faser »

Hi,

I have problems using total commander with usb sticks on my android phone.
Using TC I can copy from the sticks to the phone but if I try to copy from the phone to a usb stick then I get a "Writing error"; moreover, if I try to create a new folder on the stick then I get a "Code 2" error.
Please note that if I use the stock file manager then I have no problem neither in copying files to the stick nor in creating folders on it.

Android version is 4.4.2
TC version is 2.70
Phone model: THL 5000

TIA for any help
faser

Post by *faser »

I just wanted to correct that my TC version is 2.71 (even if this question doesn't seem to interest anybody... :( Though it doesn't seem a FAQ or, at least, I couldn't find anything relevant anywhere. Yet it seems to me a TC flaw because the stock file manager works)
tag

Post by *tag »

This also happens when writing on a MobiLite Wireless G2 on some filesystem (not sure if ExFat or NTFS). With every single file. Every file is reported as not written, and you have to confirm that TC should continue. The written files are all ok. Using another file system it works fine.

Maybe another file system could already help? Which one are you using? My guess is also some rare occurring bug in TC Android, but it could also be that some file system routines outside of TC have an error.
faser

Post by *faser »

It seems to me that my case is different: my usb pendrive is a plain vfat file system (and I tried many different ones) and, as i said, the stock file system does write on the pendrive without problem, whereas TC doesn't: it seems more of a problem within TC. I don't know if it is a bug (known or not) or I am missing something.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this is not a bug in Total Commander, this is fully intentional by Google: Only preinstalled apps by the manufacturer are allowed to write everywhere on the external SD-Card on Android 4.4. They added new functions to write to the card, but only in Android 5 and later.

You have 4 options:
1. Use the preinstalled file manager if there is one, e.g. "My Documents" on Samsung.
2. Total Commander 2.50 can write to its own private directory on the card, but not anywhere else.
3. Root your device and use the free tool sdfix from the play store to get back write access for all apps. Afterwards, root is no longer needed.
4. Wait for Android 5 Lollipop. It will allow again to write to the external SD-Card, using a new function set. But your device may never get it...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
faser

Post by *faser »

No, my device will never get Android 5... :(

Anyway, there is something that I don't understand in what you say: on my phone I have an external SD-Card and Total Commander writes without problems on the external SD-Card.

The problem I am experiencing is with usb pendrives which I connect to the phone with a cable.

Assuming that the SD-Card and the usb pendrive are recognized in the same way by the OS, I would expect to have the same behaviour for TC: either it can write on both or it can write to none!

This is what I can't understand.
faser

Post by *faser »

One more even stranger thing!

When I plug in the usb pendrive I get asked if I want to change the default writing device. If I answer Ok and I set "External memory" as default writing device, then... Total Commander CAN copy files to the usb pendrive but it can't create directory!

I am puzzled...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This question comes from the operating system - when you change the default writing device, you give apps the right to write there...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
faser

Post by *faser »

So, all in all, this can be considered as a workaround for my problem:

I plug in a usb pendrive
I change the default writing device to the pendrive just inserted
I copy/move my files to it
I unmount and unplug it, thus getting back to my previous configuration

You should add this as option n. 5 to the list you proposed me in your previous post...