Total Commander and USB Sticks under Android Marshmallow

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Yuccaman

Total Commander and USB Sticks under Android Marshmallow

Post by *Yuccaman »

This may have been answered already as I have seen some threads mentioning USB and marshmallow already, but they were in German and google Translate strgulled to do a job on them.

Under Marshmallow, on a Non Rooted device, what should TC be able to do in terms of writing to USB sticks.

I have an NVidia Shield now running Marshmallow and in my experience, the following is happening:

FAT 32 Stick:

- I can write and delete files from any directory on the USB Stick.
- If I try to extract an archive, if the file it contains is over 80mb in size, it will ONLY extract successfully to the Android\data\com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander\files directory. Trying to extract it anywhere else will error and force close TC.

NTFS Stick.

- I can only write and delete files within the Android\data\com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander\files directory (including extracting archives).

Is this what is to be expected based on the permissions model within Marshmallow ?

Cheers,
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

FAT32: I do not have the problem with files >80MB. Maybe it's a bug in the Nvidia Shield.

NTFS: It depends on the system wether it supports writing or not. Most Android systems do not support writing to NTFS. It may work with a plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Yuccaman

Post by *Yuccaman »

Thanks for the reply Christian.

The Shield does support NTFS writing broadly speaking.

It worked fine under Lollipop (to anywhere on an NTFS Drive), but Marshmallow is restricted to the TC directory in effect.

I did try Nexus Media Importer on the Shield and whilst it allowed NTFS writing everywhere, it effectively took over the NTFS Drive and I lost visibility of it from other apps (Kodi etc) until I rebooted the device.

I also have the USB Plugin thats exclusive for TC but if memory serves, it doesn;t write NTFS, only reads it, but I'll see what happens and report back for reference...
Yuccaman

Post by *Yuccaman »

I also tried the Paragon TC plugin and this was similar to Nexus Media Importer.

No idea what is does, but it appears to take over the USB Sticks so it is ONLY seen from within TC and not by other apps (Kodi etc).

Even when closed, the USB Stick remains invisible until a reboot of the device.

I never bothered with the other USB Stick plugin as that does not support NTFS write and reading works absolutely fine without a plugin.

Ah well - Not a show stopper, just an annoyance that I cannot have full wrtie access to anywhere on the NTFS stick (I might be able to if I root but wanted to avoid that).