''Copy NTFS permission'' problem on moving

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petergus

''Copy NTFS permission'' problem on moving

Post by *petergus »

Hi!

When I move a file or a folder and select to copy NTFS permission it doesn't work, no permission is copied.

It works when I copy a folder & file.

And what is CopyStream?

//Peter
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

When I move a file or a folder and select to copy NTFS permission it doesn't work, no permission is copied.

It works when I copy a folder & file.
Looks like a bug or it is by design, maybe ghisler can explain that.
And what is CopyStream?
CopyStreams is set to 1 by default and it means that NTFS-Streams, these are informations appended to a file on NTFS-partitions like file comments, etc. are copied with the file.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Which copy method do you use? The NTFS permissions box only affects the small and large buffer copy methods, not the compatibility mode and explorer method.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petergus

Post by *petergus »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Which copy method do you use? The NTFS permissions box only affects the small and large buffer copy methods, not the compatibility mode and explorer method.
No compatibility mode, and it works when I copy a folder but not moving a folder.

But the same happend with XP pro.

// Peter
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Same here, copying is ok, moving is not.
So it is definetely a bug then.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, very odd, I will try to reproduce it. One last question: Do you move the files within the same drive, or to a different drive?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

When moving on a different drive permissions are copied.
When moving on the same drive they are not copied.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

On the same drive, TC uses a move operation (not copy then delete). For this there is a special switch in wincmd.ini:

XPMoveMethod=

1: When moving files, the permissions of the target folder are used
0: The permissions of the files are kept

On Windows XP, method 1 is the default for the Windows function MoveFile, while on Windows 2000 the second method is the default.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Thanks, it works. :)

But the ini-setting is absolutely superfluous then as it's redundant:
You have to set XPMoveMethod=0 under XP and additionally you have to check the box, what's the sense of that setting then?

If the user checks "copy NTFS permissions" TC should copy the NTFS permissions, regardless of whether he is a happy Windows 2000 or Windows XP user. Why should the user check the box if he has set XPMoveMethod=1? I don't get it.

Added to that it would be very nice if the checkbox "copy NTFS permissions" was remembered by TC.

Thanks for your attention

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:But the ini-setting is absolutely superfluous then as it's redundant:
You have to set XPMoveMethod=0 under XP and additionally you have to check the box, what's the sense of that setting then?

If the user checks "copy NTFS permissions" TC should copy the NTFS permissions, regardless of whether he is a happy Windows 2000 or Windows XP user. Why should the user check the box if he has set XPMoveMethod=1? I don't get it.

Added to that it would be very nice if the checkbox "copy NTFS permissions" was remembered by TC.
Correct!

Or even let TC trigger the OS version and set the appropriate value automatically during installation or when the copy-permissions is firstly used.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
petergus

Post by *petergus »

Any solution for this problem?

I copy/move daily folders and files with NTFS permission, and I think
the copy NTFS permission in TC _must_ be improved.

I have set XPMoveMethod=0 and CopyStreams=1 but still I got
to check "Copy NTFS permission" during copy/move.

But I always want to copy NTFS permission!!

It's a bit stupid that I have to use ROBOCOPY when I got TC, but TC is too
unsecure when copying hundreds of folder and files.

And please add so TC copy _all_ NTFS information,
NTFS permission, Owner info and Auditing info.

// Peter, #84319
ienne

Post by *ienne »

I have the same problem and I wonder if anything has happened on this topic since.

Specifically, the problem is (in WIndows 10) that, when I move a file with TC within the same CIFS mounted disk, the file... disappears! Indeed, it is there but with wrong permissions--so I cannot recover it unless I access to the same CIFS disc from Linux. It is pretty annoying, as one can imagine. The solution is indeed to tick the Copy NTFS Permissions box, but if one forgets it, it is trouble.

(1) The simpler question is why TC does not simply emulate whatever Windows does. Windows with its horrible file explorer (or however it is called) works perfectly fine in this case.

(2) If the above is not possible or practical (I wonder why, though), the minimum correction would be that the Copy NTFS Permissions can be made permanent in the config.

(I have a silly question too: why would I *not* want to Copy NTFS Permissions?)

Thanks!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

ienne wrote:I have the same problem and I wonder if anything has happened on this topic since.

Specifically, the problem is (in WIndows 10) that, when I move a file with TC within the same CIFS mounted disk, the file... disappears! Indeed, it is there but with wrong permissions--so I cannot recover it unless I access to the same CIFS disc from Linux. It is pretty annoying, as one can imagine. The solution is indeed to tick the Copy NTFS Permissions box, but if one forgets it, it is trouble.

(1) The simpler question is why TC does not simply emulate whatever Windows does. Windows with its horrible file explorer (or however it is called) works perfectly fine in this case.

(2) If the above is not possible or practical (I wonder why, though), the minimum correction would be that the Copy NTFS Permissions can be made permanent in the config.

(I have a silly question too: why would I *not* want to Copy NTFS Permissions?)

Thanks!
There are many situations on file servers
in which you don't want to copy NTFS permissions.
That is always the case if the copied files should inherit the permissions of the target dirs.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ienne

Post by *ienne »

I see, thanks. I still wonder why the default is not the same as Windows does--at least in my case it seems that it would be the right thing to do.

But, this aside, it seems there should be a configuration to select either the default (e.g., the Copy NTFS Permissions ticked when the Copy/Move window appears) or the behaviour tout-court. Personally, I find the current situation pretty annoying, for I never have to tick the box (on local drives and all other servers) but on this particular server I am screwed up if I forget....

Any chance this would be added in some future release? Apparently I am not alone wishing this to exist.