New tool: Ultra TC Configuration Editor

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

New tool: Ultra TC Configuration Editor

Post by *ts4242 »

I have just finished a new tool for Total Commander
you can download it from My site or Totalcmd.net

i hope you like it and found it useful.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2ts4242

Thanks for it. Some notes:

1. It's a pity it doesn't try to find the wincmd.ini file itself.
2. You could see IniEd plugin (by StayAtHome) - I like the way how he does editing values in .ini files.
3. I don't like when after editing any item it moves for editing the next one.
4. Why when I delete value eg. from "Tree=1" I delete "=1" it save it as: "Tree=Tree"? It could ask in such situation if I want delete the item.
5. There is no "Search" option.
6. Context menu key on keyboard doen't work.
7. There is no "Undo" option
8. There could be option with "default" value - For all items or for the current item.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

2ts4242
Nice util! My request:

9. Could you also show (or mark) ini-lines that are not in the database so your program also shows commented/unknown/faulty ini-values?
[Configuration]
;drivelib=%COMMANDER_PATH%\TC_Icons\drivebmp.dll
Viewer=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Viewers\xv32\XVI32.exe
StartupScreen=0
unknowncommand=0
Tips=3
UseRightButton=0

etc...
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2djk
1. It's a pity it doesn't try to find the wincmd.ini file itself.
adding registry class code for auto detecting wincmd.ini path will increase the program exe file by about 10KB, i prefer asking the user ONLY at first run than increasing the file size
i think this is useful when changing more than one key, anyway i will this feature optionally.
4. Why when I delete value eg. from "Tree=1" I delete "=1" it save it as: "Tree=Tree"? It could ask in such situation if I want delete the item.
this is by design when you prompt to change the key value just write the new value immediatly (don't unselect the text) and the program will correct your entry.
BTW: normally if you want to chage a key value you will delete the old one "1" and press Enter not "=1" :wink:
5. There is no "Search" option.
6. Context menu key on keyboard doen't work.
7. There is no "Undo" option
8. There could be option with "default" value - For all items or for the current item.
I will consider these points in the next version.

2Maxwish
9. Could you also show (or mark) ini-lines that are not in the database so your program also shows commented/unknown/faulty ini-values?
this request Nr 9 what are the previous requests :lol:
about commented lines, I'm using the API function GetPrivateProfileString and this function AFAIK ignore any line start with ; so how can i get these commented line (note i will never open Wincmd.ini file by Open statement for just getting a commented line)

about unknown if you are missing a key in the 2 data files comes with the program you can add it to the data file manually with a description or without, please read the imprtant notes in the help file for more information about how to create your own data file.
Note: the main porpuse of this program is to deal with settings that you cannot set via TC Options dialog box.

about faulty it's your responsibilty to detect your editing faults not me. :wink:
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Thanks for the answer,

ts4242 wrote:adding registry class code for auto detecting wincmd.ini path will increase the program exe file by about 10KB, i prefer asking the user ONLY at first run than increasing the file size
True, but look at the forum how many people have problems with finding the .ini files - it could be useful.

ts4242 wrote:
i think this is useful when changing more than one key, anyway i will this feature optionally.
Well, I don't think that many people will be changing all the values at once.

ts4242 wrote:
this is by design when you prompt to change the key value just write the new value immediatly (don't unselect the text) and the program will correct your entry.
BTW: normally if you want to chage a key value you will delete the old one "1" and press Enter not "=1" :wink:
Well, it's a bit strange bahaviour for me but... you are the author :-)
As I mentioned before, IMO good solution for editing .ini files is implemented in IniEd plugin. When you go for editing (after pressing Enter) the value is autoselected. If you don't want to use any item any more you can delete it or just comment to use it later.

5-8
ts4242 wrote:I will consider these points in the next version.

ts4242 wrote:2Maxwish
this request Nr 9 what are the previous requests :lol:
Maxwish has just continued my list ;-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
silencer

Post by *silencer »

Hi,

I found a little bug in the drivehints section.

wincmd.ini

Code: Select all

[DriveHints]
F=DVD-Rom
W=CD-Burner
Ultra TC Configuration Editor

Code: Select all

A
B
C
D
E
F=DVD-Rom
G
H
Drive W is not shown in Ultra TC Configuration Editor.

BTW Are you planning to implement wcx_ftp.ini?

Greetz,
Silencer
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2silencer
I found a little bug in the drivehints section.
this not a bug, indeed the program read ONLY keys in the data file (the default data file is "tc all keys.txt" in the program folder) and this file contain drive letters from A to H
you can open the file "tc all keys.txt" and add a complete drive letters list (A-Z) under [Drive Hints] section

in general if you have a key in your "Wincmd.ini" and you didn't see this key when you running Ultra TC Configuration Editor this mean that this key hasn't an entry in the data file you are using.
BTW Are you planning to implement wcx_ftp.ini?
unfortunately i'm not planning
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Hi,
this tool has been updated you can download it from My site or Totalcmd.net

What is new in version 2.00
--------------------------------
[+] Unlimited "Undo" and "Redo".
[+] Ability to edit and save any key description inside the program.
[+] Automatically find Total Commander configuration file ("Wincmd.ini").
[+] New option "Auto select the next key after editing."
[+] Double click a key to start editing its value.
[+] When starting a key editing only the value is selected.
[+] When you start editing an inactive key you will see the default value for this key.
[+] 3 new command in Edit menu "Value = 0", "Value = 1" and "Browse Value".
[+] 3 new command in View menu "All Keys", "Active Keys" and "Inactive Keys".

[-] Keyboard context menu key is now working.

[*] Now you must press Enter key after editing a key value to accept it.
------------------------------------------

hope you like the new features
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Version 2.00 starts with "Can't find data file!" error then proceeds immediately to "Target section for this category is missing..." error.

OK through the errors, then select file open, select the wincmd.ini file, receive "Target section..." error again.

Oh well. I'll try the next version.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

JohnFredC wrote:Version 2.00 starts with "Can't find data file!" error then proceeds immediately to "Target section for this category is missing..." error.

OK through the errors, then select file open, select the wincmd.ini file, receive "Target section..." error again.

Oh well. I'll try the next version.
This is very strange, i think the problem not in my program maybe you are using an old initialzation file contain invalid data file path.
you have 2 solutions:
1- try to delete the program initialzation file "utccedit.ini" and start the program again

2- the error message say "Cannot find data file! Please open one to continue."
this mean that you must open a data file (there are two files comes with the program) before opnning any "Wincmd.ini" file.

you don't have to wait the next version :wink: please try and let me know is the error is still exist.
franck8244
Power Member
Power Member

Translation of your plugins

Post by *franck8244 »

2ts4242
Today I listed TC tools that can be translated in different languages, some of your tools are listed but other are not ... :shock:

Can you provide us with translation files for those two tools :?: (
Ultra TC History Editor & Ultra TC Configuration Editor)

:arrow: Thanks :lol:
TC#88260 -
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Translation of your plugins

Post by *ts4242 »

franck8244 wrote:2ts4242
Today I listed TC tools that can be translated in different languages, some of your tools are listed but other are not ... :shock:

Can you provide us with translation files for those two tools :?: (
Ultra TC History Editor & Ultra TC Configuration Editor)

:arrow: Thanks :lol:
indeed localization for History & Configuration editor has not implemented yet i think to collect my all programs in one package with one language file but this need some time.
anyway thanks for your interest and for your French translation and to Clo too.
franck8244
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *franck8244 »

2ts4242

OK, we'll be waiting for the update....

Another small wish : :D
Each Time you released a new version of your tool your are changing their name (Ultra TC Configuration Editor 1.00.exe and then Ultra TC Configuration Editor 2.00.exe)... As I've created shorcut in the main bar, I've to change it manually it's a bit boring :(

An Idea for a new tool : Ultra TC Bar editor, to edit (manipulate) *.bar file eventually with the help of program such as TCmenu or TCtoolbar...(with a preview mode :?: )
What do you think?
TC#88260 -
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

An Idea for a new tool : Ultra TC Bar editor, to edit (manipulate) *.bar file eventually with the help of program such as TCmenu or TCtoolbar...(with a preview mode )
What do you think?
Now that's what we really need!

For instance, I use several toolbars. The first few buttons (on the left) are the same in each, the right buttons differ. It would be great to have a development tool for toolbars that stored "blocks" of buttons and allowed us to configure toolbars with the "blocks" of buttons instead of having to place individual buttons (or messing with a text editor).

Further, some sort of "go back to previous toolbar" button builder would be nice.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2 TS4242

I solved the problem. It was my fault. Your tool works properly now!

Thanks for it!