any way to disable deduplication of files in drive upload?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

patrickdrd

any way to disable deduplication of files in drive upload?

Post by *patrickdrd »

I tried to use total commander to synchronize files to upload in google drive only to find out that my folders and files were duplicated instead of deleting older ones (i.e. previous versions) and I don't want that, any way I can disable this feature (I found out that goggle drive stores multiple versions of files with different timestamps)? Or should I switch to another could service?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I can only reproduce that when the local and remote files have different case, e.g. test.txt and TEST.txt. Then you would get both files on the server because Google Drive is case sensitive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
patrickdrd

Post by *patrickdrd »

no, case was the same, I tried to synchronize updated version of portable installation of applications and tc duplicated both folders and files in each and every case, I had to go over to google drive from my browser in order to delete the container folder becuase even deleting that folder from tc sucked, cause tc needed to delete each file and subfolder from the tree first..
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, cannot reproduce. Is there anything special about the names, e.g. cyrillic, special accents, spaces etc?
patrickdrd

Post by *patrickdrd »

nope, strange...

maybe it was due to the large amount of data uploaded and terrible upload speed (and connection)?
the latter was interrupted sometimes (possibly due to carrier and/or wifi connection issues) and tc asked me if I wanted to continue or cancel upload and I was responding with yes,

otherwise, maybe I didn't reach the final part where tc was supposed to ask me if I wanted it to delete those files?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's odd - maybe you can create a log? Just enable FTP logging in Configuration - Options - FTP, this will also log most file system plugins. These are normal HTTP requests, so you may see what is happening...
patrickdrd

Post by *patrickdrd »

Sorry but decided against it,
since my upload speed is very low (100kb/s) and data are some gb,
so, after deleting the whole folder,
I don't think I have the courage to re-upload it from the start (and waiting for it for days to finish - if it finishes that is, after connection errors interrupting the whole process last time),
I though that I would spare myself some time just synchronizing it, but to no avail..