One directory compare to many

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PeterHolmUA

One directory compare to many

Post by *PeterHolmUA »

Hello. I am looking for the availability to compare one directory with the entire content of one drive.
Example, I have an F drive ,with a subfolder Called Music. This folder has no subfolder but is packed with music files.
I want to compare this Music folder with the entire Drive D:\ which has music stored but in subfolders. Looking at the compare and Synch option, I seem to only be able to compare highlighted files with whichever folder is open in the D drive, subfolders on the D drive are ignored, unless I have a subfolder with the same name which is highlighted.
Think of it like this: f:\music\all_Music\ Compare with d:\*.*

How do I accomplish this?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If you don't have duplicate file names on your drive D:, maybe you could install and use Virtual Panel ( http://totalcmd.net/plugring/virtualpanel.html ).

Open Virtual panel in one panel (you find it under Network) and in the other panel you open your entire drive D: in Branch View (Ctrl+B) - then you copy all the files from D: to the Virtual panel. Now you can compare f:\music\all_Music\ to the virtual panel with either the Compare Directories (Shift+F2) of the Synchronize Dirs function.

If you have duplicate filenames in the different subdirs of your drive D: you have a problem because the duplicate files either has to be overwritten of skipped when copying to the Virtual Panel.

If you are only interested in comparing filenames, dates and sizes (but not content) - then you can pack all the filenames from Branch view to a .lst file using the DiskDir plugin ( http://ghisler.com/plugins.htm ) and then compare f:\music\all_Music\ to the content of the .lst file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar