[9.10ß-x32] Compare by content: Wheel scroll not working

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[9.10ß-x32] Compare by content: Wheel scroll not working

Post by *Flint »

In 32-bit version the mouse wheel scroll in Compare by Content does not do anything.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

not confirmed
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Did you run the 32-bit version with higher user rights (as administrator)? Some mouse wheel tools by mouse makers run as normal user, so they cannot affect elevated programs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
No, same privileges level as 64-bit (member of Administrator group, without elevation).
I've just re-checked by starting both versions with empty INI from the command line of my "main" TC instance. 64-bit version scrolls OK, 32-bit version does not.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, no idea. Is this on Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Win7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit.

Strange, looks like all 32-bit TC versions have this problem on this computer, so it's probably not specific to this beta. I'll check on other computers that I have.

Just in case I also checked in elevated TC instances, result is the same: 64-bit scrolling works, 32-bit doesn't.

BTW, this happens only with Compare by Content. Scrolling in Lister or TC file panels, or Find Files results works perfectly in 32-bit. So it's not scrollwheel events in general, but something specifically in how CbC processes them.

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Not confirmed here too.

This could happen if for some reason the active window is not Compare by Content or it is active but the active control in it is not one of the lists but something else (i.e. any of the buttons). Do you have any program on this PC what may change something fundamental about the way the scroll button works (i.e. should work only on the active window or only if the mouse is over). I had faced some crazy problems in the past with similar programs. Also, any addons that might cause such an issue?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

wanderer
When I discovered this problem that was exactly my thought, so I immediately clicked in one of the compare panels to move focus there. It didn't help. I clicked the other panel, clicked on the buttons, in the path editboxes and back in the panels — nothing helped. Keyboard is working OK (e.g. TAB for switching between panels and other controls), so the focus is definitely in the window. But the scrollwheel is not working.

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hmmm... A driver thing perhaps? The brand of the mouse? MS/Logitech? 3rd party?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Dammit, I found the guilty party. It's AltDrag application. I don't know yet why it affects only this particular window, and only in 32-bit TC, but when I turn it off scrolling starts to work OK.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Any chance you are using KatMouse? - it can be set up to ignore the mouse wheel in specific programs.
Last edited by petermad on 2017-09-22, 17:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Try creating another local user on the PC (make it admin), copy your TC.ini to that profile and see if the problem still exists. If not, try with a default profile.

Also, what O/S? Is UAC active?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Flint wrote:Dammit, I found the guilty party. It's AltDrag application. I don't know yet why it affects only this particular window, and only in 32-bit TC, but when I turn it off scrolling starts to work OK.
Ah yes. I use it too (not now, at work). It seems though that all such programs can have side-effects. Glad you found it.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the English forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

petermad
I edited my message after I found it was AltDrag. For the moment I added the CbC window class into the blacklist, luckily there are not many scrollable controls, so I didn't lose much. But it's still something to be investigated in the future. I cannot fathom how such situation could be possible — even class names are the same in 32- and 64-bit CbC, how could it affect one window but not another?.. Maybe it's a combination of factors. AltDrag does something not completely correct, 32-bit TC does something not totally perfect. By themself they are OK, but together they clash… I don't know.