Everything has a serious issue.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vdijken

Everything has a serious issue.

Post by *vdijken »

Everything only records changes in Windows! I could not remove the directory windows.old after installing the Fall update. So I used the live DVD with Knoppix (A LinUx OS) to remove the directory. When I restarted Windows Everything still displayed files in the windows.old directory until I forced Everything to rebuild. So somehow Everything starts -when Windows starts - with an existing database and only updates changes done under Windows; fast but not reliable. I would not qualify this as a bug, but when you know this "feature" it can save you a lot of time.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Deleting old installation files can be done inside windows via "Disk cleanup" (cleanmgr.exe) -> "[Clean up System files]" -> "[x] Previous Windows installations(s)"
No need to boot Linux for this.

And yes, a windows program can only monitor file system changes while it is running.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

HolgerK wrote:Deleting old installation files can be done inside windows via "Disk cleanup" (cleanmgr.exe) -> "[Clean up System files]" -> "[x] Previous Windows installations(s)"
No need to boot Linux for this.

And yes, a windows program can only monitor file system changes while it is running.

Regards
Holger
I know that; but you obvious miss the point why I posted this. It was just an example which showed the sequence what can happen.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't think that booting from DVD is a regular operation... So you should keep in mind that it can outdate your Everything database.
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

MVV wrote:I don't think that booting from DVD is a regular operation... So you should keep in mind that it can outdate your Everything database.
What a nonsence; never heard of Live-cd or Live-Dvd?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I've used and created bootable diskettes or disks many times, but it is not a regular daily operation, it is a maintenance one that requires advanced user.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Also the thread topic is complete nonsense.
There is no serious issue in Everything and the way the poster deleted old Windows installation is more than strange.
2 Minutes of Google would give the right Windows command.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64