Keyboard shortcut to path field?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

spikey

Keyboard shortcut to path field?

Post by *spikey »

Can I activate the Path Field by using a keyboard shortcut rather than clicking on it? I mean the field just above the column headings showing the current directory's path.

For example, I have a path on my Windows clipboard (e.g. "C:\Program Files") and want to paste it into that field without activating it by clicking with my cursor.

ALT-SHIFT-F11 focuses the button bar but I can't find anything which gets me any closer to the Path Field.

Thanks for any help.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

spikey,
Home, Shift-F6 or you can assign one to the internal command cm_EditPath.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
spikey

Post by *spikey »

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted.

Where is SHIFT+F6 listed? I couldn't find it in the help text and I hate to waste people's time for things I can find myself.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

spikey wrote:Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted.

Where is SHIFT+F6 listed? I couldn't find it in the help text and I hate to waste people's time for things I can find myself.
Under Help / Keyboard
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
spikey

Post by *spikey »

Horst.Epp wrote:
spikey wrote:Where is SHIFT+F6 listed? I couldn't find it in the help text and I hate to waste people's time for things I can find myself.
Under Help / Keyboard
There it says: "SHIFT+F6 Rename files in the same directory".

It doesn't say I can enter a directory to go to. How strange.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

spikey wrote:
Horst.Epp wrote:
spikey wrote:Where is SHIFT+F6 listed? I couldn't find it in the help text and I hate to waste people's time for things I can find myself.
Under Help / Keyboard
There it says: "SHIFT+F6 Rename files in the same directory".

It doesn't say I can enter a directory to go to. How strange.
Please read again Hacker's post, he said press Home, Shift-F6, so you have to press Home key before Shift+F6 or assign your hotkey for the actual command cm_EditPath
spikey

Post by *spikey »

Sorry, I think I wasn't being clear.

With or without first pressing HOME, there is no information in the Help text to inform the reader that SHIFT+F6 places the focus on the path field above the column headings.

I wish I could see a true master list of such keyboard shortcuts.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

spikey wrote:Sorry, I think I wasn't being clear.

With or without first pressing HOME, there is no information in the Help text to inform the reader that SHIFT+F6 places the focus on the path field above the column headings.
Sometimes there are valuable information listed in History.txt like this one
History.txt wrote:13.07.16 Fixed: Shift+F6 on [..] (change current path): Confirmation button appeared only for a short time, then disappeared (Tab background redraw problem) (32/64)
spikey wrote:I wish I could see a true master list of such keyboard shortcuts.
See Hotkeys Editor
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

ts4242 wrote:Sometimes there are valuable information listed in History.txt like this one
There are, but that is a very bad way to spread information. Most users are not even aware of existence of this file.

All those little features that can be found in history.txt, wikipages, ini files, forum topics and other obscure places, should be properly documented in the help file or online help which doesn't even exist.
Axis

Post by *Axis »

solid wrote:
ts4242 wrote:Sometimes there are valuable information listed in History.txt like this one
but that is a very bad way to spread information.
And to me It's very confusing.
solid wrote:All those little features that can be found in history.txt, wikipages, ini files, forum topics and other obscure places, should be properly documented in the help file or online help which doesn't even exist.
I agree completely.
spikey

Post by *spikey »

History.txt wrote:13.07.16 Fixed: Shift+F6 on [..] (change current path): Confirmation button appeared only for a short time, then disappeared (Tab background redraw problem) (32/64)
Thank you for the information. I never knew history.txt even existed and I have been using TC since version 5! However, it is quite densely written and I'm not sure what string I would have used to search to find my information.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2spikey
For example, I have a path on my Windows clipboard (e.g. "C:\Program Files") and want to paste it into that field without activating it by clicking with my cursor.
Maybe cm_EditPath is what you should use - assigning it to a hotkey of your own choice.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar