Power Member
Power Member

Starting point for creating TC nested Button bars

Post by *ts4242 »

Hi, all
I want all of you share my tempelate for creating nested TC bar

Download THIS FILE
extract it into your Total Commander folder
Goto Total Commander> Configuration> Button Bar... and choose bar_1.bar and when you asked to make this bar is your main bar click "Yes"

I have added only one command on each buttonbar for easily recognize how these nested bars work

for more information please read "readme.txt" file in downloaded file

I hope this can be useful to you
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2ts4242

I think it can be useful for many users. I've noticed that many of my friends had a lot of problems with creating additional toolbars (and switching between them) so they gave it up.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

djk wrote:2ts4242

I've noticed that many of my friends had a lot of problems with creating additional toolbars (and switching between them) so they gave it up.
someday i was one of them :) so i dadicate this for anyone find difficult creating such nested bars
the finest thing is that the current bar number is appear pushed so it easily to know where you are
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2ts4242
Yes, the idea of pushed buttons is really nice. :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Yes, the idea of pushed buttons is really nice
Yes, I like it too! Thanks for your efforts.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

according to this nested bars behaviour i have an suggestion to Mr Ghisler to add new tick box in "Change button bar" dialog box say "Return to main bar after excuting a command"

in many cases i need to swich to a buttonbar for just one command then return to the main bar manually, but with this tick option it will be very fine and easy didn't it?

a button bar will work as a popup menu

isn't a good idea?
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I support the idea.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ts4242,
add new tick box in "Change button bar" dialog box say "Return to main bar after excuting a command"
You can already get similar behavior by using TCMenu...

HTH
Roman
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I just want a command called cm_ReturnToPreviousBar

Or something like that.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 28-09-2004 06:41:03 +0000 JohnFredC wrote:

J> I just want a command called cm_ReturnToPreviousBar
J>
J> Or something like that.

Well, on my root (default) bar I have a button to open e.g. Packers.bar. The first and the last buttons of such a child bar open root bar. So IMHO such a command is unnecessary one. Or did you meant something else?[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2004-09-28, 22:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

@ts4242

depending on the functionality you configured for those buttons you may try to add items to the start menu (of tc) instead. start menu can be structured, hotkeys assigned and (limited) variables used (source, target, current file or param query). i found it very useful for functions like copy current file to a backup directory, tc internal commands like cm_CopyFullNamesToClip etc.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

batchman61 wrote:@ts4242

depending on the functionality you configured for those buttons you may try to add items to the start menu (of tc) instead.
Maybe you should give TS4242 Ultra TC Editors a try. There are on for Start menu and directory hotlist (new startmenu commands can be exportet to totalcmd.inc) , one for the mainmenu, one for the history and one for the settings in wincmd.ini.

But independent from it a 'nested buttonbar' may be very useful sometimes.
So it is very easy to add a program there (just drag and drop) and you have not to remember a shortcut while you see a nice Icon with a tooltip.
And in the last two month there were at least two threads asking how to expand the current button bar.

So I thin it is a very nice attempt, to simplify this for unadvanced useres.

2ts4242
One idea I will steal for my five buttonbars: That one with the different icon for the 'pressed' buttonbar. I like it very much and I wonder why it did not occur to me.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I think a command that one could put on a button that returned to the previous (ie. "calling") bar would be very helpful. Then one would not have to keep track of all the interconnections between bars when making "bar navigation" buttons that imply a hierarchy of bars.

I have built a fixed set of nested toolbars for myself, but find managing the set a bit of a pain...
Last edited by JohnFredC on 2004-10-02, 13:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Hacker
I know TCMenu but it will be wonderful if it is being a TC bulit-in feature

2JohnFredC
i think cm_ReturnToPreviousBar will not solve the problem because you have to assign it to a button and click it, so nothing changed, instead we can change the tick suggesion to be "Return to previous bar after excuting a command" by this way you will return to the previous bar automatically

2Sheepdog
One idea I will steal for my five buttonbars: That one with the different icon for the 'pressed' buttonbar. I like it very much and I wonder why it did not occur to me.
the idea you are going to steal :wink: is the main reason to publish my nested bars template. i'm using these nested bars for a long time but i was always forget what is the button bar number i currently use, and after deep thinking i get the idea of a pushed button for the active bar.

i have another nested bar behaviour that is if you have 5 bars and you are on bar Nr. 1 only "2,3,4,5" buttons will appear and if you are on bar Nr. 2 only "1,3,4,5" buttons will appear and so on... it is save one button but i found it in most cases make me confused because the button numbers are continuously change
you can steal this idea too, but i'm sure you will not like it :lol:
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

ts4242 wrote:i have another nested bar behaviour that is if you have 5 bars and you are on bar Nr. 1 only "2,3,4,5" buttons will appear and if you are on bar Nr. 2 only "1,3,4,5" buttons will appear and so on.
you can steal this idea too, but i'm sure you will not like it :lol:
I already had this idea and tried it long time ago, but as you said: It's rather confusing and I refused to use it.

But thanks for the permission anyway ;)

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams