Undelete (data recovery) plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

almk

Undelete (data recovery) plugin

Post by *almk »

Hello.
The new version of Back2Life undelete plugin is on beta testing stage, available at www.grandutils.com/Back2Life4TC/Beta (all details see there).

NTFS support is added. Beta file size limit is 64Kb.

Please note, it will not be a free plugin.
Strogg

Post by *Strogg »

2almk
I remember in previous version, for each file was shown the details (in persents) to how much they are damaged.
New beta does't have it. Or it is unnecessary at all because of improved restore functions?

Btw: Sometimes it freezes TC while scanning the active NTFS formatted partition with 67% used space. I have tested it on winxp sp1.
Maxwish

Re: Undelete (data recovery) plugin

Post by *Maxwish »

almk wrote:Beta file size limit is 64Kb.
to ALMK
Bit small for reliable beta test don't you think ? One can only just recover autoexec.bat :lol:
...BRB...
almk

Post by *almk »

I remember in previous version, for each file was shown the details (in percents) to how much they are damaged. New beta doesn't have it.
That’s true. File damage (with clusters map) is only available at file properties page (Alt+Enter) – for files under 64K in unregistered ver. Do you feel it was more convenient to show it on recovery dialog as well?
Btw: Sometimes it freezes TC while scanning the active NTFS formatted partition with 67% used space.
Freezes – do you mean it halts TC down, or it only freezes during the scan time – and then TC works fine again?
Bit small for reliable beta test don't you think ? One can only just recover autoexec.bat :lol:
You seem to have pretty big autoexec.bat :)

Both Yes and No would be the answer. The major task for data recovery software is being able 1) to find a file 2) to properly locate file’s content clusters. After this is done, it’s not a big deal in reading 10 or 10000 clusters and writing them to the save file. 64K is actually enough to demonstrate these both abilities – many other recovery programs use the same number. But the sad thing is that the hugger the file is the less chances we usually have – and there’s nothing to do about it...

Thank you
Strogg

Post by *Strogg »

2almk
Do you feel it was more convenient to show it on recovery dialog as well?
Yes, I think it would be more comfortable to work. IMHO
Freezes – do you mean it halts TC down, or it only freezes during the scan time – and then TC works fine again?
Once I thought that scan freezed TC. But after long time inactivity TC came to life again. Probably scan takes high priority of system time?
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

2 almk

We already told you in the previous version of this plugin : If you are going to sell this thing, put your limitations somewhere else, like the number of days that the plugin will work, but not in the file size.
:evil:

If we cannot test it properly with all the kind of files we use to work with, ie. like my case 1 GB or greater, we are going to consider your plugin a lie and look for freeware alternatives; therefore you can kiss goodbye all your possible sales.
:P
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
almk

Post by *almk »

Yes, I think it would be more comfortable to work. IMHO
I agree. Will do it. Thank you.
Probably scan takes high priority of system time?
Sure! Disk read takes lot of system time. During scan once a while I send update messages to TC screen so it doesn’t become very underpaint. May be I will increase the frequency of such updates.
put your limitations somewhere else, like the number of days that the plugin will work
Unfortunately, I don’t think this will work. People usually don’t kill important files on a regular base, so days-based limitation makes no sense to me – a person who accidentally erases a file will install plugin, undelete the file and remove plugin. And this way I’m still kissing good-by to the possible sales, as you say.
If we cannot test it properly with all the kind of files we use to work with, ie. like my case 1 GB or greater, we are going to consider your plugin a lie and look for freeware alternatives
This is great, I love it – because that’s what I consider a REAL FREEDOM: the ability to choose whom to pay and whom to trust.