TC for Linux suggestion...

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

the problem is that everyone could have access to the code !
Benoît
# 4081
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

I spoke about a Shareware version of TC for Linux not GNU-Freeware-Public Domain.
Hans

FTP

Post by *Hans »

There is the Indy project (for Delphi and BCB), which has an FTP component which works on Windows and Linux. I have not used it yet though.
Heiner

Post by *Heiner »

[quote="ghisler(Author)"]The problem is that the code is 90% identical to the code of the Windows version - so the Windows version would automatically become free too and I could close my company...[/quote]

If it is 90% identical, what about the following:
- remove the ftp stuff and put into a plugin (windows version). One of the strengths of TC is its plugin concept. It should work, I guess. NO ftp in the first linux version
- remove the Compare by content. Make it a configurable external application and ship your diff viewer in the windows version as default. Linux user could use one of the already existing diff viewers here

These were the "hard to port" parts you mentioned above.

Build and release it as a test version. Just RPMs or scrambled source code, no open source, no GPL, no closed company :-)

If the plugin interfaces are open, maybe somene is willing to write the ftp plugin as open source.

If it works and "feels" like TC on windows, I am willing to buy a second license just for linux!

Good work so far!

Heiner
Odegard

Post by *Odegard »

Yeah, what about a linux license? Other companies producing cross-platform software like e.g. Opera require a new license for each OS.
I'm not sure if I agree, but it depends on what business model you subsribe to. What is modern today is that a company doesn't sell "products" but "solutions". A "product" is OS dependant while a "solution" is not. However, there is, I guess, substantial work involved in making versions to run on other platforms so why not? Why would Ghisler bother making a linux version if he can't make money on it? Afterall, he *is* running a business. Therefore, I've made my decision, I will buy a license for the linux port when (if) it comes out.
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

I'm agree with Odegard, if a TC for Linux comes out and it offers a lifetime registration (as the Windows version does) i will buy a 2nd license just for Linux.

And if the problem to release Linux version it's Ftp maybe you can release Linux version without it.
BTW how many of TC normal users use FTP ???

Sas #62914
stas

Post by *stas »

90% identity of code is too much :P
Well ghisler, there's still a way: release TC for Linux "as is", with no Lister neither FTP neither other unportable stuff... You only will need to develop a very extensible plugin system so users can add Linux "built-in" features on demand. I suggest pipe-driven shell scripts like in MC. What about that?
| hamlet DB 2Bh or not 2Bh, ?
ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

I'm ready to buy a second licence for TC for Linux too... but would be very pleased to have Lister included !
Benoît
# 4081
ecliptux

Post by *ecliptux »

I'll buy a second licence too if a Linux version comes :)
tungwaiyip

Post by *tungwaiyip »

I'll buy a second license for Linux as is! :D This is far better than Midnight Commander already. Certainly beat the hell out of cd and ls.

I am paralysed on a machine without a decent commander. :(
acnapyx

Post by *acnapyx »

Generally without a decent lister, sorry to say this, Total Commander will be useless (in my opinion). I find myself mostly using it for archiving stuff and viewing files in Lister, so I would gladly pay for Totalcmd Linux version (no matter what license), but only if it *includes* lister and some kind of integration with image/sound/video viewers.

the FTP stuff will be fine, but not so required as in the windows version. (If no other way exists, why not use the native Linux apps, i.e. FTP, and only build a frontend for them?) The same applies to file compare- diff is a great tool, and it is perfect for almost everything... except hex comparing.

Anyways, I miss generally TC when I am working in Linux, and I swear that Krusader is good, but it cannot compare with TC. And there is a solution for the problem with 90% similar code - just sell only *compiled* versions. no shareware, please. eveyone that would want TC in Linux, knows it already from Windows, and if he/she wants it, he/she *is* ready to pay for it. There is no need to promote it :) in Linux shareware is not a solution - the Linux user is used to GPL or *commercial*.

-that was only my 2c-
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Heiner wrote:
If it is 90% identical, what about the following:
- remove the ftp stuff and put into a plugin (windows version). One of the strengths of TC is its plugin concept. It should work, I guess. NO ftp in the first linux version
- remove the Compare by content. Make it a configurable external application and ship your diff viewer in the windows version as default. Linux user could use one of the already existing diff viewers here

These were the "hard to port" parts you mentioned above.

Build and release it as a test version. Just RPMs or scrambled source code, no open source, no GPL, no closed company :-)

If the plugin interfaces are open, maybe somene is willing to write the ftp plugin as open source.

If it works and "feels" like TC on windows, I am willing to buy a second license just for linux!

Good work so far!

Heiner

I agree with all of these proposals. I hope (if ever released) LinTC will contain Lister though. Although it is a part of TC that can use many improvements, it is essential.

Christian: i'm sure there are many good linux developers out there who can and would be happy to help.

As for the licensing... I would also get a license for Linux. There are too many programs out there and imho, we must keep alive the ones that really worth it, especially when their authors are not asking for extreme amounts of cash for them.

My 2 cents...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
mephisto

Post by *mephisto »

hi,
ich hab christian heute schon eine email geschrieben bezueglich eines linux-ports. feststeht, dass es bereits mindestens zwei projekte fuer linux gibt, welche sich eindeutig am wc/tc orientieren.

das waeren naemlich folgende:

linux commander: http://www.algonet.se/~skeleton/linuxcmd/
und
gnome commander: https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcmd/

mit den entwicklern beider koennte man eigentlich wunderbar zusammenarbeiten.

zu den etwas schwieriger zu realisierenden features wie z.b. ftp wuerde ich einfach mal sagen: es gibt genug gute, grafische ftp-clients, jedoch sehr wenige (bzw. nur einen, naemlich mc) gute filemanager. ich betrachte die implementierung eines solchen features daher eher als unwichtig.
And every prayer we pray at night, has somehow lost its meaning.
mephisto

Post by *mephisto »

oh, noch ein paar dinge vergessen ;)

ich finde folgende features auf jedenfall sehr wichtig:
- dateioperationen/-handling (klar, wieso sonst nen filemanager)
- checksummen generieren/pruefen
- multi-renaming
- support fuer externe packer (zip, tar, bzip2, rar, ace)
- compare bzw. diff
- synchronize directories

das sind die, die mir spontan so eingefallen sind. vielleicht hat ja wer noch eine ergaenzung ;)

zum thema plugins/modularer aufbau wuerde ich vorschlagen eventuell perl zu nehmen - der autor vom linux-commander moechte in version 0.6.0 sogar eine eigene scriptsprache einbauen. koennte man ja eventuell auch benutzen.

vielleicht sind das ein paar anregungen. eine umsetzung des TCs fuer linux waere auf jedenfall _genial_

gruss
micha
And every prayer we pray at night, has somehow lost its meaning.
jb

Post by *jb »

An micha:
Probier's mal umgekehrt: Die Meldung auf Englisch und die Signatur auf Deutsch. Das ist eigentlich ein Englisches Forum :wink:.