OT: Windows Vista

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

OT: Windows Vista

Post by *JohnFredC »

The next version of Windows will look and (apparently) behave substantially differently:

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,1206,pg=0&s=26945&a=156757,00.asp

Me thinks it will set 3rd party file manager software developers scrambling...

Check out the stacks view, virtual folder view, and especially the screen clip of the save dialog.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I can't help myself but the copy dialog looks beautiful (the diskettes in the top right-hand corner, the blurred transparency, the green progress bar).

What's so special about the save dialog? And I just noticed I either don't see folders or I don't see files in that dialog. How are folders distinguished from files?

The stacks view seems just what eg Imatch or ThumbsPlus! do, only integrated in Windows.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

What's so special about the save dialog?
Oh, I don't know, maybe it's the:
  • Folder tree integrated with file list
    Categories integrated with physical paths in the tree
    Sorting "buttons" above tiles
    Arrows instead of "\"s... (are they mouseable...?) in path combo
    Integrated search
    Horizontal panels in dialog
    Options button on lower left
    Tooltip identifying the active file
The folder tree in the dialog is an addition currently available from some third-parties, but never before from MS.

If you think about how the path combo might work (I haven't seen it in action) with the possibility for drop-downs under every arrow (maybe?)... well, that would be a substantial functional improvement. One that could be integrated into the TC panel paths...

I poo-pooed the Avalon/Glass stuff when I originally read about it as being just ribbons and bows... but my guess from these screen shots is that MS has finally done their homework about GUIs.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It's the ugliest thing I have seen for a long time - especially those semitransparent titlebars - makes the screen look confusing and messy.

And what's that with those folder icons lying sideways - gives the impression that everything will fall out of them.

Looks like an OS that I will pass.

And I don't see 2-panel copying anywhere - so in my book M$ still hasn't learned what file managing is about.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Hacker wrote:I can't help myself but the copy dialog looks beautiful (the diskettes in the top right-hand corner, the blurred transparency, the green progress bar).
Looks nice, but still misses two progres bars like TC. There are over 4000 files copying and only one bar for total. No single file bar. Will MS ever learn to make its products more useful?? This is only skin for w95 copy dialog :)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

PeterMad wrote:
don't see 2-panel copying anywhere
Well we wouldn't want ole Bill moving in on TC's turf, now would we?

:wink:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2JohnFredC
Well we wouldn't want ole Bill moving in on TC's turf, now would we?
Right :!:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
crab

Post by *crab »

so...it seems to be that microsoft hired just graphic designers for making Vista....and not the best of them :(

Gab
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

crab wrote:so...it seems to be that microsoft hired just graphic designers for making Vista....and not the best of them :(
Yeap! And making the OS bigger and slower every time. Who guesses if Vista will come on a DVD-Rom instead of a CD-Rom?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Clas Hortien

Post by *Clas Hortien »

Here you can see a screenshot from TC 6.53 running on Windows Vista Beta 1.
http://www.hortien.com/upload/tconvista.png
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Clas Hortien wrote:Here you can see a screenshot from TC 6.53 running on Windows Vista Beta 1.
http://www.hortien.com/upload/tconvista.png
I'm hungry for more! Give us more! Heh! TC is already Windows Vista ready! ;-)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I am not sure where I can see bad design in that screenshot from Clas Hortien besides in TC itself. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
crab

Post by *crab »

bahh...its pretty enough....and how much we have to pay for this brand new stilysh modernist skin?? :evil:
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

bahh...its pretty enough....
Yeh it IS pretty, and not too obtrusively so, but I will turn most of that off, as always. The interesting stuff is the virtual folders and the stacks, plus all of the "custom" file attributes implied by the categories and keywords stuff.

MS appears determined to release file management from the rigid hierarchical relationships we currently employ to something more multi-dimensional.

There have been many requests for formal support for virtual folders in TC. Well, MS is going to embed them in the operating system! This means an api!

I am curious. How will TC tie-in to this new file system functionality? I certainly will want to make use of it.

Via the Custom Columns feature, perhaps?

Anyway, I (for a lonely one, it appears) am actually excited by some of these screen shots and the new organization paradigms they imply. I have millions of files. Don't you?