TC does not delete folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

taps

TC does not delete folder

Post by *taps »

Following scenario: I have a directory. This directory contains a file with no content at all (meaning file size is equal zero). Now I want to delete this directory by pressing F8. TC then asks for permission and after pressing OK TC does _not_ delete the directory and file. It just ignores the command. I have to manually delete the file and then the directory...
Can anybody reproduce this behaviour?
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Interesting, i have never experienced this behaviour. Does this also happen on Shift-F8? Do you have the option "Use Explorer delete method" turned on?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Clo

Works here---

Post by *Clo »

2SanskritFritz

:) Hello Frank !
- With the same steps here under Win 98 SE :
via F8, the directory and the empty file it contains are deleted after the confirmation-message.
- In the Recycle Bin, there is the file only…

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Sounds like you use NTFS and there is a problem with your access rights. Just try the deleting in Explorer. I bet you will not be successful, but maybe you get an error message. TC is sometimes a bit economical with messages, especially with ( missing) access rights.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
taps

Post by *taps »

Some additional information: It is possible to delete the folder/file using Explorer. It is also possible to delete the folder/file when I switch to the Explorer-Method (using TC). AND: The behaviour is different between a Network Drive and a Local Drive. TC is able to delete the folder/file when it is located on a local drive.

Hence it seems that the problem comes with the following combination: Using the Total Commander Delete Functionality together with our Network Drive. I will try to find out which type of Network Drive our company is using.

Does not seem to be an access-right problem.

Cheers, Christoph
Clo

In the network…

Post by *Clo »

2taps
:) Hello !

- I remade the test in a network drive, that works here : the empty file and the directory are deleted.
- Strange : in that case, nothing in Recycle Bin, neither in the PC from which I made the handling, nor in the one where is the HD for that network drive…
Win 98 SE still.

:mrgreen: V G
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

As I remember there was a problem with deleting folders on the net based on Samba servers.
I also had such problems but it used to happen in older versions. Now I have not noticed such problems.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: In the network…

Post by *Sheepdog »

Clo wrote:2
- Strange : in that case, nothing in Recycle Bin, neither in the PC from which I made the handling, nor in the one where is the HD for that network drive…
The recycle bin does not work on network drives, neither on floppy disk. Don't know about removable Disk (like USB-Stick).

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

No recycle bins on my USB sticks either.
As far as I know, the Windows recycle bin only works for local harddisks.

Karl.
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
taps

Post by *taps »

Yes I can confirm that this problem does not occur when using Samba. We are using some different service to provide Network Drives. I'll try to find out which one.
Christoph Tapler
DavidUSA

Ditto on your comments, Total Commander, Samba Malfunction

Post by *DavidUSA »

I am using a LanDisk from Bytecc, which uses a Samba server, and after continual frustration with trying to copy files and verify the copy using Total Commander's Synchronize feature, and even direct copying (F5), I confirmed these problems:

1. Timestamps were not kept from original, despite proper TC6.54 configuration in options menu. Other posts indicate this problem with compressed files, in my case, the problem is regardless of file compression.
2. When trying to delete from the LanDisk, I had the same problem you had, then used the same solution (set Explorer-Method in TC) to remedy.
3. After copy/synchronize, Total commander does not properly reflect size of files on the LanDisk/Samba server. Using Alt-shift-enter method displays incorrect values on LanDisk/Samba.
4. Using Synchronize, Total Commander does not properly "Match" files from a local drive to the LanDisk/Samba server. Files show up on local as though they need to be copied, but they actually do exist, and appear to be identical.

My solution was to pull out the 'dreaded' Windows Explorer in order to copy 'all files' accurately, and in order to maintain time stamps. Unfortunately, the only way I can 'verify' the copy on the new LanDisk is to use "right-click" Properties to verify that file count and folder count, and hopefully byte count are identical between the two. Obviously, I prefer the Total Commander Synchronize tool with the option to verify file content.

In over 5 years of usage, this is the first time I've ever been disappointed using the Total Commander utility. But, thanks to Christian's dedication and capabilities, I'm confident these issues will be resolved as soon as possible.

taps wrote:Some additional information: It is possible to delete the folder/file using Explorer. It is also possible to delete the folder/file when I switch to the Explorer-Method (using TC). AND: The behaviour is different between a Network Drive and a Local Drive. TC is able to delete the folder/file when it is located on a local drive.

Hence it seems that the problem comes with the following combination: Using the Total Commander Delete Functionality together with our Network Drive. I will try to find out which type of Network Drive our company is using.

Does not seem to be an access-right problem.

Cheers, Christoph
The Home Depot With Hughes Supply - You can do it, we can help. Solutions, Supply, Service.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2DavidUSA
Just use compatibility mode, it will also work in Synchronize dirs. Imho this is a bug of your Lan station, not Total Commander. TC tells the system to copy the data, set the timestamp, and close the file. Unfortunately this "set timestamp" command is simply ignored...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DavidUSA

Information appreciated...

Post by *DavidUSA »

At this point, I am certain that bugs do exist with the Lan Station firmware, and fortunately I was careful not to outright accuse Total Commander of having bugs ;)

Unfortunately, I am still not able to get Total Commander to work with this drive accurately on byte counts, even using the Compatibility mode as you described. I tried using the * argument to be sure, as well as several other attempts to get the drive to work properly through TC with numerous option changes.

The same problems exist with file and directory size reporting (alt-shift-enter) on the LanDisk. Also, the Synchronize dirs still showed files as unsync erroneously.

I had to remove the harddrive from Bytecc's LanDisk into a standard USB enclosure, and was able to synchronize with TC, no problems. Then when I put the harddrive back in the LanDisk and tried the synchronize again (to verify), it showed files out of sync, completely missing, etc. None of the various TC options of compatility, etc worked for me.

Thank you for at least making the recommendations, and as I said I'm confident you will resolve the issue (even if the resolution is pointing out someone elses hardware/firmware bugs). At least now I know, and I will buy another vendor's LANDisk option that will probably work accurately (until bytecc releases a .bin fix, I'll just have to be deal with it) - though no fault of yours.

ghisler(Author) wrote:2DavidUSA
Just use compatibility mode, it will also work in Synchronize dirs. Imho this is a bug of your Lan station, not Total Commander. TC tells the system to copy the data, set the timestamp, and close the file. Unfortunately this "set timestamp" command is simply ignored...
The Home Depot With Hughes Supply - You can do it, we can help. Solutions, Supply, Service.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please try if the same problems appear with a different sync tool, like filesysnc:
http://www.fileware.com/

If yes, the problem is with Landisk. If no, then please report here which files are detected incorrectly by Total Commander, but correctly by filesync. Thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DavidUSA

Update. Thank you for your help.

Post by *DavidUSA »

Sorry for delay in returning this message, but I was finally able to take time to download and test the filesync program as you instructed. I confirmed that the results are the same as using Total Commander Synchronize.

There are too many files to report, and it's difficult to narrow them down to filetypes. I'm mostly working on a backup for My Documents and My Pictures specifically.

My conclusion and recommendation for others, do NOT buy the Bytecc LanDisk which has faulty firmware (currently v24) using Samba. There are numerous errors and unreliable data integrity encountered when used in conjunction Total Commander.

Thanks for your help. I will buy another Lan Disk product and see what happens.

Please keep up the great work and TC product enhancements. I love all the latest features, including the expanded plug-in Find options, etc (I think you implemented based on my Unix Grep suggestion. It's amazing work that you've poured into your product.

ghisler(Author) wrote:Please try if the same problems appear with a different sync tool, like filesysnc:
http://www.fileware.com/

If yes, the problem is with Landisk. If no, then please report here which files are detected incorrectly by Total Commander, but correctly by filesync. Thanks!