[REQ] cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip on [..] dir item.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip on [..] dir item.

Post by *Flint »

I use the commands cm_CopyNamesToClip and cm_CopyFullNamesToClip very often (I even set the hotkeys for them). One of the most common operations is changing directory in some other program (for example, another instance of TC) to the directory currently opened in the active panel. I have to:
1. go to parent directory;
2. copy the (full) name to the clipboard with my shortcut;
3. go back into the directory that was opened.
This is relatively slow (especially if there are many files/folders, or if I work with network drives), and also if I have some files selected, I cannot restore the selection after such actions.

My suggection is: to make it possible to use cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip command on the [..] entry so that it copied the name of the current folder. Now this is disabled at all ("No files selected" message is shown), so there will be no functionality reducing. After that, then the task I described above will become faster. Also, it will be possible not to clear the selection (just deselect all files, copy the path, then restore selection with Num / ).

Example (what will be if this feature is implemented):
I have the c:\Windows\System32\ folder opened. I press <HOME> (to set the cursor to the [..] item), then press my hotkey - and I have the c:\Windows\System32\ path in the clipboard.
Last edited by Flint on 2006-06-18, 12:50 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I'm not sure if I got your request right but won't the following
internal commands do the job for you? :

cm_CopySrcPathToClip=2029;Copy source path to clipboard
cm_CopyTrgPathToClip=2030;Copy target path to clipboard
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

pdavit
Yes, it's possible, but I will have to use other hotkeys for these commands. The problem is that I have already assigned almost all convenient hotkeys (Ctrl+Alt+letter, where the letters are on the left bottom part of the keyboard: A,S,Z,X,C,V - it is convenient to press them with the left hand), so for copying the parent folder path I will have to use an inconvenient hotkey. And also on doing this, I will have to use for the same function two different hotkeys - I don't like such "conceptual inconsistencies"... :)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Maybe your interested in this Autohotkey script:

AutoHotkey: Copy Filename To Clipboard When Inplace-renaming.

If this Script is running you can press [Shift]+[F6] on the ".." and invoke the 'inplace rename' of the current path - thus this path is automatically copied to the clipboard.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sheepdog
Hm... Shift+F6 does not look convenient to me: there is the same "problem" of different (and very much different!) hotkeys for the similar functions... But maybe, there is a way to determine inside the script, if the cursor is placed on the [..] item or not? If this is possible, then I could write a script that send the cm_CopySrcPathToClip, if the item selected is [..], and cm_CopyFullNamesToClip else...

esmandil

Post by *esmandil »

I definitely thing Flint's idea has merit.

I also use cm_CopyNamesToClip quite often and the current behaviour (i.e. to have error message displayed) is *very* anoying.

I do not exactly know *what* should be returned when cursor is over "..", but parent folder sounds reasonable. Anyway, anything except error :)
frenky

Post by *frenky »

I'm getting realy confused lately...
It looks like this forum is slowly becoming TC+AHK forum.

There are few of us that can't/won't use AHK (or similar)... Now many solutions include answers like "It can't be done that way! Use all mighty AHK".

Subjective, but I do not like AHK.
POWERFULL macro language would be much better (I know, not for all situations, but for many yes...). But all this after the issue in my sig is solved ;)
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

There are few of us that can't/won't use AHK (or similar)..
Then you should work on yourself.

Now many solutions include answers like "It can't be done that way! Use all mighty AHK".
Infinity, until Ghisler do macro langage. Ask elephants for exact date.
Too bad. I tried them all, and this one is state-of-the-art
POWERFULL macro language would be much better
I agree. See elephants comment above.
Habemus majkam!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

frenky wrote:Now many solutions include answers like "It can't be done that way! Use all mighty AHK".

Then you should read those answers:

It can't be done.

I don't see any problem with this. Noone is forced to use AHK. But many things can't be done with TC itself. You may wait until @ghisler coded all the features requested by the users into TC.

But there may be some people who prefer an external solution for now. To those the appendix: "that way! Use all mighty AHK" is meant.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Maybe I was a bit too harsh with my stetements (Something like majkinetor's comments - maybe proffessional deformation, what do you do for living?) but I stand with them.

In corporate environment where every peace of software is preinstalled, using one tool ontop of another is hard to get administer. And if you have three PCs which use different flavours of same OS (Corporate V1, V2...) it becomes even harder, and add personal computers... It gets too confusing... If I press e.g. Ctrl+Alt+4 what will happen on each...
And another thing that bugs me with AHK and similar soulions is that they intercept messages before they are dispatched.

For a single user PC this approach is ok, but for multi PC env. I doubt in usability of such solutions. Macro language would be better because it would be limited to one application. But pls. implement this after my sig can be removed :)

All stated above is subjective. No flaming needed.
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

what do you do for living - maybe proffessional deformation
Maybe not deformation at all. I just got used to the fact that people usualy wants the one to do THIER thing, without even trying.

The same apply to you: Did you try AHK ? Did you, ha ?
It gets too confusing
Cmon... you already have hundreeds of layers on top of eatch other in every regular system... you as a programmer shouldn't say such things.
Your skills are different thing.
Maybe I was a bit too harsh with my stetements
So, you find ME harsh ? And you find that is a problem.... Too bad, becaue, from me, you can only get help, and few cool jokes maybe .Generaly my behavior can not produce nothing too bad on this forum.
Its funny how people tends to see only the surface. Too many blind people here. There are much worst beasts here then me, and trouble they make is on much higher level then anything I could possibly do here.
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If I press e.g. Ctrl+Alt+4 what will happen on each...
How do you know what happens on each when AHK is NOT used? TC has a (crappy) hotkey functionality too, right? So, actually you never know what happens when you press Ctrl+Alt+4 unless you try out or extract the info.
And another thing that bugs me with AHK and similar soulions is that they intercept messages before they are dispatched.
Explain please.
Macro language would be better because it would be limited to one application.
You can limit AHK scripts to one application only too but that's the user's choice and not some general limitation.

Although I'd like to see a TC internal macro language some day in 2020, I severely doubt that it could be a serious replacement for AHK. Too much things have to be implemented to do it RIGHT and ghisler still is a one-man-show that needs too much time to think about important stuff like "F2 for renaming or refreshing" than just DOING it.

I just don't have the time nor the desires to wait YEARS to see any progress in TC development anymore. I need solutions NOW and AHK is one of the best ways to fill the gap until something better is created.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Haleluja !
Habemus majkam!
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2majkinetor !
There are much worst beasts here then me, and trouble they make is on much higher level then anything I could possibly do here.

1. Who are the beasts here? AFAIK, beasts don't visit fora as thay can't type at all :wink: ... unless they are monkeys.

2. About your English: "then" != "than".
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

2Flint
I use the PowerPro script with different 3rd paramters to copy file names with different path depths. Try "-1" for your problem.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander