TC 7 request: Show icons in menus

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

TC 7 request: Show icons in menus

Post by *pdavit »

2 Christian

By the way, there's no chance we'll see those icons on the menus as well Christian right?

Is it possible on Delphi v2? If I remember correctly, some long time ago it was requested
but there were some "technical" issues! ;-)

[mod]Splitted from http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=9035[/mod]
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2pdavit
By the way, there's no chance we'll see those icons on the menus as well Christian right?

Is it possible on Delphi v2? If I remember correctly, some long time ago it was requested
but there were some "technical" issues! Wink
Delphi 2 menus don't have an "OwnerDraw" property which can be found in newer versions. This property can be used to draw whatever you want on a menuitems surface. That doesn't mean it's impossible in Delphi 2 but it doesn't work out of the box.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Lefteous wrote:That doesn't mean it's impossible in Delphi 2 but it doesn't work out of the box.
Do you think it's easy to find a sample code in order to help Christian?

Icons become more memorable when accessed via menus since the eye captures the description
as well and the user easily associates the icon with its underlined task.

On the other hand we have tooltips over the button bar but it's less "productive".
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Icons on the menu are currently NOT planned, sorry. It would require far too many icons, and make the program larger and slower.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)
Icons on the menu are currently NOT planned, sorry. It would require far too many icons, and make the program larger and slower.
I don't insist on Menu icons, too, though I think it could be a nice addition and slightly improve usability (see my remarks in the last Email I sent you).
I think adding an icon for every menu item would be far too much, but for selected commands it would be quite useful and would make navigation through the vast amount of menue entries a bit easier and faster.

But this is only nice to have IMHO and should only be implemented if programming effort is minimal and no loss of performance is noticeable.
Last edited by StickyNomad on 2005-11-27, 21:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

The ability for me to assign icons to menu items is all I would want, not a pre-installed/default "official" TC icon set or anything like that. Icons on SOME menus make a huge difference for mouse user productivity.

I seriously doubt that menu icons would make TC perceptually slower for most of us. There are numerous programs out there that have menu icons and that respond to user input via mouse or keyboard just as quickly ... or more quickly, even... as TC responds even though TC doesn't have iconic menus.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

hx god (äh chris) Icons in Menus are not planned :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

It will not if Display->"Use icons in menus" is disabled by default.

For the huge number of icons, I am sure that some TC freak will find time to compile them
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

We have already discussed that in the past. You have agreed that internal icons won't slow TC down, just look at the menu speed of file manager xplorer2 or UltraEdit, they are ultrafast. There is no such thing as "slowing down", even on a PII.

With faster computers (and hard disks if you don't cache the icons like you do with the buttonbar) it is also no problem to replace the internal icons with user-customizable ones. In the end it should be the user who decides if he wants to have more comfort with slower menu speed but faster item recognition or fast menu speed and after that waste time to find the entry he wants to activate.

Especially in the start menu, icons would be a huge productivity enhancement. Human beings are much better equipped for recognizing images than abstract words.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
As you are already doing a user interface overhaul you should reconsider your decision.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Lefteous wrote:2ghisler(Author)
As you are already doing a user interface overhaul you should reconsider your decision.
Hopefully he dont :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Hopefully he dont
Personally, I have a strong will to do to my system whatever is need to make it look different from accounting applications. Since I am using computer all day, every day, I guess it comes natural, to make the place you are spending so much time enjoyable. I also learned that some people, many people, keep there computers by default, or to be more precise, with tones of default icons, laying on default green desktop with default apperinace for every program, even Winamp. I created desktop in which I am most productive and it looks good.

I also love applications not have icons jumping in happines from every corner but in this very case, in addition to things mentioned above, I agree with
In the end it should be the user who decides if he wants to have more comfort with slower menu speed but faster item recognition or fast menu speed and after that waste time to find the entry he wants to activate.
So,
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

icfu wrote:Especially in the start menu, icons would be a huge productivity enhancement. Human beings are much better equipped for recognizing images than abstract words.
This is very true, and concerning ergonomics -- in software engineering as well as in other fields -- it's always a good idea to take human physiology and psychology into account.

Regards, Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
djorge

Post by *djorge »

I don't think the speed should be the issue here. Computers are become more powerful everyday.
Hopefully he dont
Of course one could choose if he wants to have icons or not.
it's always a good idea to take human physiology and psychology into account.
I agree :)
Personal License #117854
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I just made a fake screenshot to demonstrate how iconized menus could look: Watch it