why Delphi 2.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Zenman

why Delphi 2.0?

Post by *Zenman »

seems many long-waiting features (unicode,iconized menu, temporary panel, etc) are not due to Mr. ghisler's ability, but to the old delphi 2.0 compiler.
just a little curious: why Mr. Ghisler not update compiler?
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: why Delphi 2.0?

Post by *Sheepdog »

Zenman wrote: why Mr. Ghisler not update compiler?
IIRC he tried once a newer version of Delphi but it distended the size of the programm son much that he refrained from using this newer version.

You probably know that the minimal Version of TC (only Program folder plus one Language file and menu) packed with ZIP still fits a 1,44 Mb disc.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

why Mr. Ghisler not update compiler?
Another reasons:
1. support 16 bit.
2. speed of the compiled code.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

SanskritFritz wrote:
why Mr. Ghisler not update compiler?
Another reasons:
1. support 16 bit.
AFAIK Delphi 2 shipped Delphi 1 for 16bit-progs, but, anyhow, its still another compiler.
SanskritFritz wrote:2. speed of the compiled code.
The speed of the compiled code is nice enough for the higher Delphi versions and if at all only neglibly slower than the v.2.

I think that the extensive inclusion of the forms-unit which makes a bare "hello-world"-program already roughly 400kB large might be a significant reason to stay away from Delphi 5 or so ... still, it's only a guess so don't flame me. :shock:
B@rndH

Re: why Delphi 2.0?

Post by *B@rndH »

Zenman wrote:seems many long-waiting features (unicode,iconized menu, temporary panel, etc) are not due to Mr. ghisler's ability, but to the old delphi 2.0 compiler.
just a little curious: why Mr. Ghisler not update compiler?
Hmm, I'm not too sure about it but I think that there are enough components on the free or the commercial market which would allow for the named features while staying with D2 ... I don't think that the compiler is the ciritcal aspect here.
lhay-mehr

Post by *lhay-mehr »

Well why not taking the Forms unit from Delphi 2 and register it's classes under new ClassNames in, say, Delphi 7.

Anyway, the times of Floppy discs and 16 bit Operating Systems are behind us people..
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

lhay-mehr wrote:Anyway, the times of Floppy discs and 16 bit Operating Systems are behind us people..
As Clo pointed out in another thread: There are in ohter regions like Afrika, South America or China probably a lot of older machines that do not fit Windows XP still running and they will do a bunch of years.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

lhay-mehr wrote:Well why not taking the Forms unit from Delphi 2 and register it's classes under new ClassNames in, say, Delphi 7.
Because the units of a version are delicately entwined thus depending on the proper existing of the elements presumed to reside in the other units. Well, in the end he would end in writing his own compiler? Nawww ... :?
lhay-mehr wrote:Anyway, the times of Floppy discs and 16 bit Operating Systems are behind us people..
I certainly want to press Sheepdog's and Clo's point. Anyone of us can only decide for oneself whether floppies and 16bit OSses are behind him; everybody else is free to decide that for himself!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Because the units of a version are delicately entwined thus depending on the proper existing of the elements presumed to reside in the other units.
Excuse me? Say this in german please :roll:
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

SanskritFritz wrote:
Because the units of a version are delicately entwined thus depending on the proper existing of the elements presumed to reside in the other units.
Excuse me? Say this in german please :roll:
:oops: Aber gern: "Weil die Units einer Version kompliziert=empfindlich miteinander verwoben, so dass die Elemente innerhalb einer Unit auf das korrekte Vorhandensein anderer Elemente in anderen Units angewiesen sind."
Meaning (metaphorically speaking) you might run into problems replacing a tyre (1) with a tyre (2) ... if tyre 1 pertains to a car and tyre 2 pertains to a tractor. That wouldn't work out despite the fact that both are tyres.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2B@rndH
I see. I'm not sure if I agree though, have to think about it ;-)
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Anyway, the times of Floppy discs and 16 bit Operating Systems are behind us people..
I prefer small and fast application.

Example:

NERO 7 ULTRA comes in 700MB package !!!!???.
Why, oh, why..... When somebody copy it to my HD (ups...) I droped SHIFT+DELETE on it with overwealming pleasure. FU*K OF from my system. I have 50K TC Burner and that's like it should be.

But I don't find necessary using Delphi 2, because old versions of TC are already avaiable for those who needs TC on floppy, and I guess that old Delphi slows down developement because new features of Delphi 3-7 are not used.

The only thing that remains is SPEED. Larger program will be loaded slower and it IS a big concern, but I guess there are programming techniques that can deal with that problem sucessufuly
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

majkinetor wrote:
I prefer small and fast application.
I support the wish for small and fast applications ... especially considering my personal preference that the programs should fit, start and run on removable disks like USB-sticks.
majkinetor wrote:Example:

NERO 7 ULTRA comes in 700MB package !!!!???.
Why, oh, why..... When somebody copy it to my HD (ups...) I droped SHIFT+DELETE on it with overwealming pleasure. FU*K OF from my system. I have 50K TC Burner and that's like it should be.
Well, of course you're right if that's how it should be ... for you.
Apparently other people enjoy Nero despite (or because :?:) of its HD-crushing size and of course they are free to enjoy themselves with that.
majkinetor wrote:But I don't find necessary using Delphi 2, because old versions of TC are already avaiable for those who needs TC on floppy,
Good point! :shock: BTW: does anybody know if is there are WC/TC-museum where one can download old versions?
majkinetor wrote:and I guess that old Delphi slows down developement because new features of Delphi 3-7 are not used.
Hmm, I'm not too deep in all the versions but ... well, what Delphi-features would improve development (especially considering that there are many "free" components available which could gear up older delphi versions!?)?
And: although there are ways to compensate for the nastiness of the forms-unit (see above), they are very stony and treading that path would certainly not improve development; au contraire!
BTW: the porting of source code from one version to a higher version is not enjoyable either, especially if you have to port specialized code. It would probably endanger the stability of now fine and stable code.
majkinetor wrote:The only thing that remains is SPEED. Larger program will be loaded slower and it IS a big concern, but I guess there are programming techniques that can deal with that problem sucessufuly
Guessing is fine and Christian is certainly high among the gurus up there ... but without a proper constructive suggestion this might only be wishful thinking.
No offence meant. :shock:
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Well, of course you're right if that's how it should be ... for you.
Anything I say here should be understood as: By my opinion, bla bla .... It's just stupid to underscore that every single time, and it's not productive.
that path would certainly not improve development; au contraire!
This is topic for discussion. Anyway, TC is not open source, so I guess we can't think anything useful about this. You have argument here, anyway.
No offence meant.
You are not speaking with 6 year old child, no matter what SanskritFritz say. I am able to differentiate things very well. It's weater I choose to ignore them or not.
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com