Feature Request: 'Go To'

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

romulous

Feature Request: 'Go To'

Post by *romulous »

Hi,

I've been looking for a separate freeware application to do this, but I couldn't find one, so I thought it would be nice if TC could have such a feature built in. What I was looking to do was to start typing a folder name (say a folder on my C: drive) in a little box (similar to the Start-Run command), and then, as you type more letters of the folder name, have the box automatically drop entries from the list until you get the folder you want, whereupon pressing Enter, will take you to that folder in TC. For example, say I wanted to go to the Batch Files directory. There are currently two 'Batch' directories on my drive, so this is what would happen:
1. Use command to open box
2. Start typing Batch. Typing B would list all folders starting with B. Adding the 'a' to the B would only show those folders that were named 'Ba'. Then adding the 't', 'c' and 'h' would reduce the matches even more.
3. Once I fully matched the name, pressing enter would open it in one of the panes in TC.
Yes, I know of the directory hotlist/most recent and favourites functions in TC, but they are useless in this case. A directory is only added to the hotlist when you open the folder and do something in it (ie save a file). So, you have to have already visited the folder - something that 99.9% of the time I have not done. The favourites is just too limited - yes, you can add a few of your most accessed folders to this - and it works well. But for what I want, I would have to add every single folder on my PC to this list. TC would choke, even if it could display the thousands of folders somehow.
CM
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

This is how that feature looks in Directory Opus. Click on "Free", the video is XVid coded:
http://rapidshare.de/files/8760472/Directory_Opus_Filtering.avi.html

To make this feature perfect, TC should be equipped with an integrated file and folder database like Locate offers. TC can set be as a jump target already in Locate options, it has replaced the TC search for simple searches completely here as it is so incredibly fast:
http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/english/softwares.shtml

Driven by that it would be possible to use Alt-F10 or Alt-F7 search dialog and find the needed folder or file in no time, no matter which directory is displayed at that time.

Icfu
This account is for sale
KevinMo

Post by *KevinMo »

Configuration > Operation > Quick Search (current dir) > Letters - with search dialog

Is that close to what you need?
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hi,

icfu: RapidShare is down by the looks of it - can't access that page. I will have to try again at a later date. I can see what you mean about using Locate - I would still prefer the feature tobe built into TC though. I did later on find a program that may be able to do it - FindRun Robot. But it isn't freeware - though the publisher's webpage tries to trick you into thinking it is. You have to sign up for their forums to generate a licence key...but only after you have signed up do they tell you the key is only valid for 180 days. After that, the program stops working. Only way to get a eternal key is to pay for it. Pity - it looked like it may have done the job too.

KevinMo: Nope, that's not what I was after. This will find folders, but only if you are in the parent folder already. What I'm after is if you are not in the parent folder - ie, the folders can be anywhere on the disk.

CM
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I would still prefer the feature tobe built into TC though.
This is what I was talking about too, implementing such a database directly in to TC.
RapidShare is down by the looks of it - can't access that page. I will have to try again at a later date.
rapidshare shut down directly after my posting, I hope that it was not my fault. Should not last too long I think. :)
Only way to get a eternal key is to pay for it. Pity - it looked like it may have done the job too.
FindRun Robot IS freeware and there is no trick. donationcoders.com is an excellent resource for software. The registration code is free but the website's goal is to make on demand software which is why they request donations, a pretty good concept actually. You can create a new registration code after those 180 days or meanwhile, no problem.
Anyway, Locate is much more flexible and powerful than FindRun Robot.

Icfu
This account is for sale
romulous

Post by *romulous »

You have to pay to keep using it - no way that is freeware. Why do you have to keep paying when you can just generate one every 180 days? Because if DonationCoders goes out of business, your application stops working once the licence runs out, and there is no way to renew it. Nagware at best, crippleware is better...but by my definition - shareware I'm afraid. The freeware site I found the program description on I've sent an email to, asking them to remove it and explain why it isn't freeware.

Anyway, that's my little rant over - I'll keep trying Rapidhare, and once it comes back up, I'll download that video and see how TC's competition does it.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You don't have to pay, simple as that. Inform about goals of donationcoders.com before throwing mud as they don't deserve it! Nuff said!

Icfu
This account is for sale
romulous

Post by *romulous »

It's not free. If you want to use it for more than 180 days, without generating a new key each time, you have to pay (and if the website goes down, no more keys, no more program use unless you have paid). Simple as that icfu. And I have no respect for someone who put up on their website 'free', but only tells you when you sign up that the key is limited to 180 days. That's the same tactics spyware makers use. I stand by my statement that it isn't freeware.

Anyway, let's not get into a pissing contest over what we consider freeware. The thread is about a TC feature request - nothing more, nothing less.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

oooh for c sake.... use warez version, if that is so much of a problem.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sad to see a great concept been attacked by you, really.
If you are afraid of a website closing down you are free to donate $1.

The excellent ScreenshotCaptor is worth at least 10 times of that amount. ;)

Anyway, you are free to not use them so the term freeware exactly fits.

Icfu
This account is for sale
KevinMo

Post by *KevinMo »

romulous wrote:KevinMo: Nope, that's not what I was after. This will find folders, but only if you are in the parent folder already. What I'm after is if you are not in the parent folder - ie, the folders can be anywhere on the disk.CM
Oh, I see. Sorry about my stupid post :lol:

I just failed to write an autohotkey script to do that. Don't know how to pop up the drop down list :(

Maybe this would be an internal feature of TC 7 ~

Regards,
KevinMo
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2romulous
KevinMo: Nope, that's not what I was after. This will find folders, but only if you are in the parent folder already. What I'm after is if you are not in the parent folder - ie, the folders can be anywhere on the disk.
Have you tried quicksearch in Tree View (Crtl+F8 ) it kinda does what you describe. Type BATCH and use the arrow-up or arrow-down to cycle through all folders starting with the name BATCH on your drive.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar