[Beta] EMF are always shown in Lister/thumbnails

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[Beta] EMF are always shown in Lister/thumbnails

Post by *Flint »

<This post is incorrect, please see here for corrected description of the problem!>

First of all, this problem occurs not on my computer (which has XP SP2 instaled), but on my friend's. I could not reproduce it at all, but anyway decided to post the message here; maybe other users will be able to reproduce the problem.

All was tested in TC 6.54pb1, 6.54pb2 on Win98 and WinXP SP1 (with unpatched and patched gdi32.dll), always with clear wincmd.ini (except for the WmfAllowed key, of course).

When he sets any value of WmfAllowed key in wincmd.ini, EMF files are always shown in Lister and thumbnails view. WMF files and thumbnails of folders are shown or not shown accordingly to the behaviour described in history and help file. (BTW, in help only WMF is mentioned, and in history - both WMF and EMF. Which is correcct?)
On my computer with patched/unpatched XP SP2 (I tested before and after installing the patch) WMF and EMF behaves absolutely identically - both are shown or both are not shown.
Last edited by Flint on 2006-01-22, 15:22 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is by design. True EMF files with the new EMF format cannot contain any Escape commands (it's simply not defined!), so it's always safe to show them. You probably renamed a file from .wmf to .emf. Total Commander detects these files by their content, though, so they will still be recognized as WMF files even when they have a different extension.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

But we tried the same EMF files! For example, here is the file from MS Office package:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11557307/MS.EMF.html (2396 bytes)
On my XP SP2 patched it is not shown, when I set WmfAllowed=0. On my friend's computer the same file is shown always, independently of the WmfAllowed value.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you use Irfanview as viewer addon? TC cannot show all EMF files internally, so they will be shown only when there is a viewer or plugin defined.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
No, I started TC with clear wincmd.ini, without any keys defined in it except for the WmfAllowed. So did my friend.

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Oops, my greatest sorry! :oops: My friend and I misunderstood each other, the problem is not that I described above!

WMF and EMF behave absolutely identically, difference is not in these types, but in where they are shown. In Lister they are blocked as it should be (shown when WmfAllowed=1 or 3, and not shown when WmfAllowed=0, 2 or –1). But the thumbnails of these files are shown always, independently of the WmfAllowed value.

Here is the table what is shown and what is not on his computer with unpatched XP SP1:
WmfAllowed:                 0    1    2     3    -1
WMF/EMF in Lister:         –    +    –     +    –
WMF/EMF in thumbnails: +    +    +    +    +
Folder thumbnails:          –    –    +    +    –

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Flint
I can imagine two possible reasons here:
1. The thumbnails of these WMF/EMF files are already in the TC thumbnail cache. The cache contains only PNG images, so it's safe to display images from the cache. Try the "Reload thumbnails" function from the right click menu.

2. If 1 isn't the case, you have wmf files which TC doesn't recognize - please send me such a zipped wmf for testing by e-mail.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Thank you! The problem was really in cached thumbnails.

But while experimenting there appeared one more feature: the folder thumbnails are not shown when WmfAllowed=-1 even on patched WinXP SP1. And again, this happens on my friend's computer only, not on mine (on mine it works correctly). Where can the problem be?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

But while experimenting there appeared one more feature: the folder thumbnails are not shown when WmfAllowed=-1 even on patched WinXP SP1. And again, this happens on my friend's computer only, not on mine (on mine it works correctly). Where can the problem be?
Total Commander looks for the version number reported by the patched gdi32.dll. If that number is equal or newer to the patched dll provided by Microsoft, then TC assumes that the DLL is OK. I can only assume that Microsoft is offering a _different_ dll with different version number for XP SP1 then for XP SP2, so the version number is older than the one accepted by TC. Could you please check that number? Just press Alt+Enter on gdi32.dll.

Thanks!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
Could you please check that number? Just press Alt+Enter on gdi32.dll.
Here are the versions of gdi32.dll on his and my (just in case) systems:

His (XP SP1):
Unpatched - 5.1.2600.1106
Patched - 5.1.2600.1789

Mine (XP SP2):
Unpatched - 5.1.2600.2770
Patched - 5.1.2600.2818

----
And one more bug was found, again with thumbnails, but now with Win98. :)

On Windows98 TC 6.54pb2 shows thumbnails of EMF files incorrectly. Two situations:

1. TC 6.54pb2 was started with clear wincmd.ini (with WmfAllowed key only) and with thumbnails database cleared. Here is the screenshot of how two EMF files look:
http://flint-inc.ru/Temp/tc/EMF654_98.jpg (8 Kb)

2. TC 6.53 was started with the same conditions (clear wincmd.ini, clear thumbnails DB), and how the same two files look there:
http://flint-inc.ru/Temp/tc/EMF653_98.jpg (9 Kb)

So, 6.53 displays thumbnails correctly, and 6.54pb2 - not.

(BTW, all this happens only on my friend's computer. I decided to try all this on mine, and installed Win98 on VirtualPC - and found that EMF thumbnails are not shown there at all! Neither 6.54pb2, nor 6.53 shows them, but both versions show the same EMF images are shown in Lister successfully! Other (non-EMF) thumbnails are shown correctly. Maybe, some VirtualPC issue? I've met earlier some incorrectnesses in behaviour of an OS running under VirtualPC...)

Also, he found that while loading a EMF image some dialog box appears and quickly disappears. With a large EMF file he could catch and screenshot it:
http://flint-inc.ru/Temp/tc/EMF_Dialog.jpg (11 Kb)
Here is the translation of the text on it from Russian:
Import: D:\Temp\Test_1\Clip.emf
<progress-bar>
Filter of importing of Windows Metafiles (EMF)
© Access Softek, 1996-97. All rights reserved. [Cancel]
We suppose that some third-party program takes part in EMF conversion and this may cause some bugs (my friend tries to found it but it's a very hard task: there is huge amount of various software on that computer). But, again: in 6.53 all works correctly on the same system with the same programs.

Sorry for so long post...

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Mine (XP SP2):
Patched - 5.1.2600.2818
The version for a totally un-updated SP2 is

It seems like 5.1.2600.2770 was installed with update KB896424
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

petermad
It seems like 5.1.2600.2770 was installed with update KB896424
You are right. I install all the Windows patches as they appear.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

His (XP SP1):
Unpatched - 5.1.2600.1106
Patched - 5.1.2600.1789

Mine (XP SP2):
Patched - 5.1.2600.2818
Sorry, in this case I cannot detect the patched SP1 automatically - users will have to re-enable folder thumbnails manually. It's just too risky to assume that >=.1789 is patched while there are later versions of the dll with SP2 which are unpatched. Microsoft hasn't documented what numbers all released gdi32.dll files have. I will therefore leave it as it is now.
On Windows98 TC 6.54pb2 shows thumbnails of EMF files incorrectly.
It looks like the two files are extracted in two different ways, e.g. once. Could you send me the incorrectly displayed emf file by e-mail, please?
Clo

Right version

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good morning,

• I've installed the patch for SP1 here by myself, and I can confirm that gdi32.dll v. 5.1.2600.1789 IS the patched one !

:mrgreen: m.f.G
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's NOT the problem - the problem is that I cannot exclude that an unpatched version exists with version number between 5.1.2600.1789 and 5.1.2600.1999, so it would be risky to assume that. What do you think?