Filename Sector Info

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AnthonyCian

Filename Sector Info

Post by *AnthonyCian »

Hello:

This isn't directed to TC, but can be related since it deals with files. Maybe a plug-in?

I'm looking for a program, hopefully freeware or shareware, that when a filename is highlighted it will show the cluster/sector locations. Mapped out like a defrag map, this way I can tell if a particular file especially a hugh file is highly fragmented. *And if at all possible, defrag just that file.

The folks here in the TC forum are very knowledgeable and I hope some can help me out. I've tried searching the Web, but just can't find the right wording for something like this.

Using XP Pro SP2 (Hard Drive is NTFS)

Thank You,

Anthony
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

well, maybe a Lister Plugin but I doubt that can be done in practical manner inside TC. The better idea is probably external AHK script.

The main question here is can AHK script determine if 1 file is selected in TC* and give you top left coordinates of selection rectangle. If that is possible, everything else is peace of cake : u use some console tool which will receive selected file and tell how many fragments it have, transmit number of fragments to another console app which will display tooltip with that info on that coordinate and call 3thd console tool to defragment single file.

SanskritFritz can tell you if * can be done in AHK. I myself, can direct you after that.
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

FragExt is what you need.

Also have a look at DiskView.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

well, maybe a Lister Plugin
I drawback this... content plugin is much better for this.
FragExt is what you need.
This is not bad. Since it adds context menu U can access it via TC which is not the case with DiskView. The very good thing is that FragExt is opensource so somebody can make content plugin one day based on that source. This can be very cool, since you would be able to isue searches like "find me all movies with more then 50 fragments".

Thx for this app icfu.

EDIT: GREAT... This app can already be used as content plugin :) :) Thx to Leftious and its ShellDetails. FragExt is registering some new shell columns :Fragments, Clusters, Extents, !!! Data Streams !!!

Here is the picture: Screenshot.png

There is just one thing though... I can't find Data Streams column in ShellDetails, yet it is there in Explorer... maybe Im blind...

Thank you AnthonyCian for leading us to this valuable information.
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@majkinetor:
For some reason strange.sqx is not accecible from my server, so I had to rename it in strange.sqx.jpg
You have to enter the correct MIME type in your server config. I don't know if there is one for SQX already but when in doubt just add SQX to MIME entry of ZIP.

Icfu
This account is for sale
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If it's not your server just drop the provider a line to add MIME extension for SQX, a cool provider will do that at once.

Something like application/sqx will do the job.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I don't get it... why does it care what is it if I supply direct link ? What if I want to redistribute my own 10 formats without ziping them ?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

why does it care what is it if I supply direct link ?
Because browsers need to know what data is sent by the server and what to do with it. Without that MIME type the browser has to "guess" what to do with the data (display as webpage, call plugin, save to disk, open it, etc...) or just does whatever the user has told it to do with "SQX" files.

But, the problem is that SQX is not defined in any standard browser by default, neither by MIME type, nor by extension.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Moderator message

Discussion about FragExt shell extension behavior in ShellDetails has been splitted into the ShellDetails support thread:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=77741#77741
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

What about downloading by default ? Sounds logical ....

I also added sqx to Operas MIME config but nothing changed.....
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Put that file up and put a link here so I can check.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The server sends nothing at all from that file, it just displays your homepage instead.

WSPPP gives that info when trying to access the file:
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Content-Length: 1703
Content-Type: text/html
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:27:38 GMT
Connection: close
You have to tell your server that it should react on that file and deliver it instead of ignoring the requests.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

strange.... I can access file only from www.net2ftp.com web ftp client which I also used to upload it there.

Screenshot
You have to tell your server that it should react on that file and deliver it instead of ignoring the requests.
And how should I tell that to the server ?
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sorry, I don't use that IIS crap so I cannot help you.

Icfu
This account is for sale