FTP transfer error 550: Access is denied

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

robinsiebler

FTP transfer error 550: Access is denied

Post by *robinsiebler »

When I try to upload or delete files, I am getting this error. I also get this error if I try the same using the Windows command-line ftp client.

In the past, I have had no problems using TC, but now I am experiencing this. Tech Support recommended that I use WS_FTP which he tried without a problem, but of course, I'd rather use TC. Any suggestions?
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

- turn of your firewall if you have any (I can't connect to my ftp with Agnitum, dunno why ?!)

- some trafic monitor can help, did you try that.
- are you sure that apsolutely the same settings are in WX_FTP and other clients (btw, that client is worst ever...). Sometimes you can find something is "on" on not so obvious places.
Habemus majkam!
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Tech Support recommended that I use WS_FTP which he tried without a problem, but of course, I'd rather use TC. Any suggestions?
Did you try this also?
This return value means:

Code: Select all

550 - Requested action not taken. File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access).
If you have several usernames for that machine, make sure you use one that has RW permitions for the folder you are trying to upload to.

[edit]
also, when you connect to server, type ls -l to see permitions for the folder you are trying to upload to.
e.g.

Code: Select all

ftp> pwd
257 "/export/home/frenky" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
drwxr-xr-x   2 frenky adv         1536 Jan 26 10:58 transfer
ftp>
Which means I have full permition for this folder, and other users can read from it and list its contenst.
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
robinsiebler

Post by *robinsiebler »

I tried connecting from home and I didn't have any problems. At work, I was able to connect to and download from ActiveState, but I still get the error when I try to upload/download from the space my ISP provides. I don't know what that means. The Windows Firewall (which is the only firewall I have any control over) is set to give TC and ftp free reign.
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like a problem with your company firewall. Please ask your admins whether there is a socks4/socks5 or ftp proxy you can use.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Yes, it is bigest chance to be fw related. I had the same problem with Agnitum personal which was set correctly. I still don't know why it didn't let TC go out....
Habemus majkam!
frenky

Post by *frenky »

My company blocks FTP trafic from 09:00 - 17:00 on http proxy. FTP proxy has unlimited access.

I guess some company enforced restriction could be a problem.
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

U can use www.net2ftp.com or www.web2ftp.com as a Web FTP client not having to do anything with your local settings. It can help isolate the problem....
Habemus majkam!