Advanced Network backup copying

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Christoffel Botha

Advanced Network backup copying

Post by *Christoffel Botha »

Hi there I am looking for a solution to what i think is quite a advanded problem. lets create a senario, lets say i have 10 differtent computers on a network. one is the one everything gets done on, 3 others is for general administration and all working files on the main computer must be backed up to the tree admin computers. the rest of the computers are just there to facilatate operation of machinery like plotters, vinal cutters and so forth.

everything gets desighned on the main computer and the computer has the following directory structure name of client - job name - revisions of job - the phisical files asosiated with the job at hand. these files usially consist of 4 files for instance dxf, bmp, jpg, doc what i whant to do is backup all the files with the appropiate file structure into a definable folder on each of the admin computers, and only copy definable file types like just bmp with the appropriate file structures to all the operation computers. i would like to be able to go into a directory press one button and the program must autamatically send out all relavent data to the relevant computers

any help in concuiring this problem would be greatly appriciated
bobcputnam

Post by *bobcputnam »

It helps if you're old enough to remember DOS or UNIX. :wink:

The backup process is very easy by writing a batch file using (Windows') xcopy, or if you need to delete files on the target drive, the shareware utility xxcopy.

You can even use Windows' Task Scheduler to do everything automatically.
Bob P
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Christoffel Botha
Or we can recommend a good backup utility, like DFIncBackup for example.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!