Mass renaming tool replaces file extension dot

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ThiefMaster

Mass renaming tool replaces file extension dot

Post by *ThiefMaster »

When replacing '.' with something else in the mass renamer, the dot separating name and extension is replaced, too.
However, since filename and extension are handled separately in the tool, there should be an option to disable touching of that dot.

For example, certain files usually have dots in the filename instead of spaces. When removing those dots I have to do it like that right now:
- replace . with a space
- remove the last 4 chars (space + extension)
- rename the file to [N] with extension <old-extension>
So I need to run three mass-renames even though I just want to get rid of dots in the filename...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I may suggest to use two-step rename. Instructions:
1. Fill name field as you wush.
2. Fill extension field as you wish but add some unique prefix like ^DOT^ (e.g. ^DOT^[E]).
3. Fill 'replace what' and 'replace with' fields as you wish.
4. Append to 'replace what' field following:

Code: Select all

|^DOT^
5. Append to 'replace with' field following:

So, TC will replace your dots with something useful for you and then will replace ^DOT^ before extension with dot. :)

E.g. if you wish to replace dots with spaces, use:
Name:

[N]
Ext:

^DOT^[E]
Replace what:

.| ^DOT^
Replace with:

And don't forget to save this crazy preset. :wink:
Last edited by MVV on 2010-04-16, 09:22 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
ThiefMaster

Post by *ThiefMaster »

Good idea, but being able to do it without such tricks would be better. ;)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it is easier to use such trick than to modify code so this will work w/o such tricks. Who knows, maybe some people like current behaviour.
Rekrul

Re: Mass renaming tool replaces file extension dot

Post by *Rekrul »

ThiefMaster wrote:When replacing '.' with something else in the mass renamer, the dot separating name and extension is replaced, too.
However, since filename and extension are handled separately in the tool, there should be an option to disable touching of that dot.

For example, certain files usually have dots in the filename instead of spaces. When removing those dots I have to do it like that right now:
- replace . with a space
- remove the last 4 chars (space + extension)
- rename the file to [N] with extension <old-extension>
So I need to run three mass-renames even though I just want to get rid of dots in the filename...
Here you go, one-step renaming of "." while leaving the final period and extension in place.

In the rename mask box, put the following;

[N]^^[E]
Erase the contents of the Extension box.

In the search for box, put this;

.|^^
In the replace box, put this;

(Note that there's a space before the line)

Feel free to change "^^" to the pattern of your choice.

Presto! All periods will be changed to spaces, except the last one.

Why this works;

TC treats the extension as a separate part of the filename. When something is placed in the extension box, TC is hardcoded to place those characters after the filename separated by a period, and that period is then subjected to the search & replace rules. By erasing the contents of the extension box, you're telling TC that you don't want an extension. When you place the "[E]" tag in the filename box, it simply becomes part of the filename. You can then replace "^^" with a period, because the periods in the filename have already been changed. This happens because the search is carried out left to right. Note that if you reversed the contents of the search & replace boxes to replace the "^^" first, you'd end up with the same problem as you originally had. But by replacing it second, there's no problem changing it to a period. :)
odtotalcomm

Re: Mass renaming tool replaces file extension dot

Post by *odtotalcomm »

Actually the answer is much easier. While renaming your files UNCHECK the box with the letter E just under where it is written REPLACE WITH. When you hover your mouse there you will notice that the checked box says REPLACE ALSO IN FILE EXTENSIONS. So all you have to do is uncheck that and you are good to go. Another trick you may want to use is on the left upper corner you may want to check the 6th option ( a yellow box) that says Show all files in current dir and all subdirrs. You do this before selecting your files that you want to remove dots from.