Missing 'Paste' Context menu item

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

NewUser

Missing 'Paste' Context menu item

Post by *NewUser »

Problem: When the user cuts (or copies) a file using the context menu, and attempts to paste it (in any column), 'Paste' is missing from the context menu. The only way to paste is to use 'Ctrl+V'

Expected action: 'Paste' is available in the context menu after 'Copy' or 'Cut' command.

Actual result: 'Paste' is missing from the context menu.

Notes:
1. The only way to paste is to use 'Ctrl+V'.
2. Ideally, the context menu items should always include at least those available in Windows XP.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

BTW I see 'Paste' menu item when I do a right click on free space of any panel (and even on file) after copying a file.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

You don't get Paste (context menu) if a file is selected. If you are using NC Mouse Mode it can make getting the Paste on the context menu a bit tricky at times.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Really in any mouse mode I don't see 'Paste' if I'm clicking on file, only when I'm clicking on empty panel space (just like in Windows Explorer) or folder (in this case file(s) will be pasted to this folder).

BTW I found interesting thing - if I copy file(s) and then use right-click on executable, LNK or BAT file, I see 'Paste' and when I paste file(s), Windows just passes names as parameters.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can also right click on the panel title showing the current path to choose "Paste2.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Interesting thing I just found with Explorer, you can drag files onto a binary or .cmd

ie:TestDropCopy.cmd

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
:LOOP
FOR /F "usebackq delims=?" %%L IN ('%1') DO (
	COPY "%%L" "%%L".bak
)
SHIFT
IF "%~1" NEQ "" GOTO:LOOP
Dragging any selection of files onto that .cmd file will use those files as input. Be cool if TC could do this as well.

It's also easier to get the Paste context menu in Explorer as the only place a file will get selected from right click is when the mouse is directly over the file, as opposed to the Whole Line in TC.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Balderstrom wrote:Interesting thing I just found with Explorer, you can drag files onto a binary or .cmd
I knew it, filenames are passed as parameters. But I didn't know that it is possible to paste copied files 'into' executables or batch files as I wrote two-three posts above. :D