Rename "Close all tabs"

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

Rename "Close all tabs"

Post by *Slavic »

In the tabs context menu the item "Close all tabs" is not exactly correct, in fact it means "close all tabs and show on the panel the content of the current active tab". But reading it literally, user may suppose that all tabs on the current panel will be closed, including the active one, and the panel will become completely empty.

TC shows a warning: "Close all inactive tabs?", which is exactly what does happen. So, renaming this menu item to "Close all inactive tabs" would be more correct. (In such case, the warning may look like "Are you sure?" to avoid excessive repeats.)
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Rename "Close all tabs"

Post by *petermad »

But reading it literally, user may suppose that all tabs on the current panel will be closed, including the active one, and the panel will become completely empty.
Well, what would you do in that completely empty file panel? :shock: :wink:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I never had the strange idea that all tabs including the current one will be closed :)
No one reads such description literally and if he will know better after the first try.
No harm in such misunderstanding
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

I didn't suppose that this request needs additional explanation, but if you want... Well, about the origin: the multi-tab interface is very common nowadays, in particular, in web browsers, so users may expect the similar behaviour in different programs. What does Google Chrome if you literally close all tabs? Closing the last tab closes the Chrome itself. Users might expect that Chrome instead should show the default start page, but it doesn't happen. The developers decided that "Close" means close. As a result, in Chrome the similar context menu item is called "Close other tabs", which is exactly what it does. So, "Close all tabs" in TC is more a figure of speech rather than a description. No harm, of course...

From my point, UI texts should be technically correct. Even in the gamedev area the designers avoid to use figures of speech or other phraseology when describing the game UI, while the scenario and dialogues with heroes is a completely different story.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Slavic
Well, in my TC I have disabled the option: "Show tab header also when there is only one tab", so when I choose "Close all tabs" all tabs ARE closed - only the file panel itself is left (with the content of the tap that was active before).

So for me the "Close all tabs" is perfectly correct.

FYI "Show tab header also when there is only one tab" is disabled by default in TC.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

FYI "Show tab header also when there is only one tab" is disabled by default in TC.
I know this, petermad, it's definitely a personal preference. The same way I always move the buttons "Go back", "Go forward" and "Reread source" to the leftmost position on the button bar, because it's similar to web browsers. Their default positions are in the central area.

Now please make a simple test: open Google Chrome with a single tab and look at the context menu. You may notice that the items "Close other tabs" and "Close tabs to the right" are inactive, they cannot be applied to this single tab. The situation changes if you open a second or more tabs. Now switch on the option "Show tab header..." in TC, which you mentioned, and look at the context menu of the single tab here. You should see that "Close this tab", "Close all tabs" and "Close duplicate tabs" are normal, i.e. they look as active, even though they do nothing in this case. But they also should look inactive (like an item "FTP Disconnect" in the Net menu when TC isn't connected).
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Slavic
Your examples for web browsers are null and void. Total Commander is a file manager. Do you want to close Windows Explorer after closing all Explorer windows?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator