Missed option... Turning off Startup Splash

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: sheep, Hacker, Stefan2, white

Post Reply
User avatar
PeaceMaker
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 287
Joined: 2005-12-31, 22:32 UTC
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Missed option... Turning off Startup Splash

Post by *PeaceMaker » 2006-10-31, 22:18 UTC

Hi! In my opinion there should be a "Show Startup Screen" enable/disable option in the option window...
Last edited by PeaceMaker on 2006-11-01, 08:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2004-01-10, 00:15 UTC
Location: Germany

Post by *StickyNomad » 2006-10-31, 23:04 UTC

2PeaceMaker

Welcome!

Hm, actually I don't see a need for this, as this is an option you will usually change only one single time: to turn the splash screen off after you have purchased TC.

So from my personal point of view, the room in the config dialog should be spared for important options that are configured more frequently...

User avatar
Clo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5731
Joined: 2003-12-02, 19:01 UTC
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

Misc. ?

Post by *Clo » 2006-10-31, 23:34 UTC

2StickyNomad

:) Good morning,
… So from my personal point of view, the room in the config dialog should be spared for important options…
• I agree, moreover the “Display” page is rather full !
- At the very outside, maybe on the “Miscellaneous” page…
… although there too the remaining room could be more useful for something else…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials

User avatar
djk
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 1651
Joined: 2003-03-17, 11:33 UTC
Location: Poland
Contact:

Post by *djk » 2006-11-01, 00:29 UTC

As I've noticed many of my friends don't like the splash but most of them don't know how turn it off. They expect to find it in options (as many other programs have it) but it's not there. :(
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl

User avatar
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 1339
Joined: 2003-03-28, 14:35 UTC
Location: Sol

Post by *wanderer » 2006-11-01, 00:36 UTC

djk wrote:As I've noticed many of my friends don't like the splash but most of them don't know how turn it off. They expect to find it in options (as many other programs have it) but it's not there. :(
Perhaps when TC is registered, a "don't show splash screen any more" checkbox should appear somewhere in the splash screen (lower left or right corner?). It's simple and it's not taking any precious space in the config screen.

P.S. The splash screen might stay on screen until clicked the first time, so the user may see the checkbox and check it.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Latest TC / x32: WinXPx32 SP3 / x64: Clients/Servers from Win7SP1 through Win19Server

User avatar
djk
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 1651
Joined: 2003-03-17, 11:33 UTC
Location: Poland
Contact:

Post by *djk » 2006-11-01, 00:40 UTC

Exactly.

BTW: PeaceMaker could you change the title of the thread for something like: Missed option... Turn off Startup Splash
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl

User avatar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 9002
Joined: 2003-02-05, 20:24 UTC
Location: Valsted, Denmark
Contact:

Post by *petermad » 2006-11-01, 02:36 UTC

Perhaps when TC is registered, a "don't show splash screen any more" checkbox should appear somewhere in the splash screen (lower left or right corner?). It's simple and it's not taking any precious space in the config screen.
Sounds like a good idea!
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 9.5b9 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit, Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (1909) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.4.1.935 (x64)
TC 3.0b12 on Android 6.0
Get: Extended Total Commander Menus | PHSM-Calendar

User avatar
Clo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5731
Joined: 2003-12-02, 19:01 UTC
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

386 to read it

Post by *Clo » 2006-11-01, 02:47 UTC

2petermad

:) Hi Peter !

• I think so too, but currently it's impossible to tick a box on that screen,
because it doesn't stay displayed more than ½ second !
- It's even impossible to read it.
• It seems that it has been designed ages ago for slow PCs,
and that it's CPU-clock speed dependant about the time of display… :roll:

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials

User avatar
PeaceMaker
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 287
Joined: 2005-12-31, 22:32 UTC
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Post by *PeaceMaker » 2006-11-01, 08:13 UTC

2djk

I totally agree!!!

User avatar
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 1339
Joined: 2003-03-28, 14:35 UTC
Location: Sol

Re: 386 to read it

Post by *wanderer » 2006-11-01, 09:19 UTC

Clo wrote:2petermad

:) Hi Peter !

• I think so too, but currently it's impossible to tick a box on that screen,
because it doesn't stay displayed more than ½ second !
- It's even impossible to read it.
• It seems that it has been designed ages ago for slow PCs,
and that it's CPU-clock speed dependant about the time of display… :roll:

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
Right. Then, apart from this,
wanderer wrote:P.S. The splash screen might stay on screen until clicked the first time, so the user may see the checkbox and check it.
maybe it's time for a little lift-up for the splash screen too... ;)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Latest TC / x32: WinXPx32 SP3 / x64: Clients/Servers from Win7SP1 through Win19Server

User avatar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 38451
Joined: 2003-02-04, 09:46 UTC
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by *ghisler(Author) » 2006-11-01, 11:07 UTC

There is no such option because there isn't really any speed benefit without the splash screen.
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com

User avatar
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 1339
Joined: 2003-03-28, 14:35 UTC
Location: Sol

Post by *wanderer » 2006-11-01, 11:09 UTC

ghisler(Author) wrote:There is no such option because there isn't really any speed benefit without the splash screen.
I have disabled it because i find it irritating, not because i wanted to speed things up. :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Latest TC / x32: WinXPx32 SP3 / x64: Clients/Servers from Win7SP1 through Win19Server

User avatar
PeaceMaker
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 287
Joined: 2005-12-31, 22:32 UTC
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Post by *PeaceMaker » 2006-11-01, 12:05 UTC

ghisler(Author) wrote:There is no such option because there isn't really any speed benefit without the splash screen.

That's not true! When you install some virtual driver (eg. DEAMON Tools) and mount one or more CD/DVD drives and starts TC, sometimes the splash screen freezes for 2-5 seconds while TC inspects the drives in OS...
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]

User avatar
solid
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 539
Joined: 2004-08-09, 11:20 UTC

Post by *solid » 2006-11-01, 13:46 UTC

That's not true! When you install some virtual driver (eg. DEAMON Tools) and mount one or more CD/DVD drives and starts TC, sometimes the splash screen freezes for 2-5 seconds while TC inspects the drives in OS...
I guess TC will freeze while inspecting without splash screen too. It is not the splash screen that causes the delay, but checking.

User avatar
PeaceMaker
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 287
Joined: 2005-12-31, 22:32 UTC
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Post by *PeaceMaker » 2006-11-01, 14:03 UTC

solid wrote:
That's not true! When you install some virtual driver (eg. DEAMON Tools) and mount one or more CD/DVD drives and starts TC, sometimes the splash screen freezes for 2-5 seconds while TC inspects the drives in OS...
I guess TC will freeze while inspecting without splash screen too. It is not the splash screen that causes the delay, but checking.
No, when the splash screen is disabled, the main app window is fully functional and there's no freeze effect.
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]

Post Reply