[REQ] Lock quick view to a file

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Hacker
and put always on top
Am I missing something here? I am not aware of TC Lister having an always on top setting....? Are you sure you are not thinking of Universal Viewer?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
Nope, I meant any 3rd party utility to do that.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
I would like to bump this feature request for TC 8.5. Basically we would like a possibility to keep quick view showing a file even when selecting other files / dirs in the opposite panel.
It could be as simple as pressing K (a toggle) when the quick view windows is active / focused.

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Please?

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why not just use F3 instead? Then you have a standalone fixed view of a file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Why not just use F3 instead? Then you have a standalone fixed view of a file.
Because that introduces UI work-flow issues of "who's on top" and where does the fixed view window appear, with some mousing and clicking (or alt-tabbing) typically required before you can get to the task (renaming, or whatever) that prompted the file viewing activity in the first place.

The beauty of QuickView is that those issues are completely bypassed.

Perhaps a little pushpin in the QuickView titlebar would be a good status indicator/control.

In my experience with another tool, a separate QuickView "inside" each file panel is the cat's meow and more directly addresses the workflow issue that lies behind the request for a "locking" QuickView.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Why not just use F3 instead? Then you have a standalone fixed view of a file.
I use both TC and Lister maximized. If I used Lister instead of Quickview, I would have to resize it to fit over the opposite panel and use some tool to make it always on top.

JohnFredC,
In my experience with another tool, a separate QuickView "inside" each file panel is the cat's meow and more directly addresses the workflow issue that lies behind the request for a "locking" QuickView.
Yes, that would be nice, but too much more difficult to implement.

Roman
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [REQ] Lock quick view to a file

Post by *hi5 »

Just bumping this as I think it would be a useful feature, we already have several quick view modes so adding a feature to "lock" the quickview panel while you continue to operate on other files in the source panel would be very nice.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [REQ] Lock quick view to a file

Post by *Fla$her »

Support++
Overquoting is evil! 👎